Am I just unlucky with 830's?

Lickatoad

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
I've been the proud owner of a Lumia 830 for about 1 1/2 months now, that is until I took it back to the shop today.

1st Lumia 830: I was taking photos and the Lumia Camera 5 app got stuck saving. Tried going back into the app but the back facing camera only showed a black screen and the focus reticle. If I pressed the screen or tried to take a photo, the reticle would flash really quickly and do nothing else. I exchanged that phone at the shop.

2nd Lumia 830: As soon as I took it out of the box I was greeted with the blue screen of death with an unhappy face.

3rd Lumia 830: The phone rattled on vibration and the vibration died in a day.

I returned the phone to the shop today for a full refund and am really missing my 830. Was I just unlucky or have others experienced similar issues with theirs too?

I really want to get another one but am worried about if it'll have more issues. I've also looked at 930's but seems people have lots of issues with them too. There seems to be poor quality control on these phones from my experience. Not sure what phone to get next, but I want one with a good camera.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Shhh.... you'll break the spell.

Everyone knows Lumia's have no issues and are perfect... :p

You have had a bad run though. It does seem a bit odd, though when the Lumia 920 came out I heard of people exchanging their phones 5 to 6 times.

It's not unusual to run into a bad phone here and there but I thought they fixed those issues. Sad to see they still exist.

I do expect to have someone come along on this thread and proclaim they've had no issues since they got it...

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Definitely some bad luck there. I've had two perfect Lumia 830s... the first was even the prototype everyone suggested against buying (surprisingly it even had LTE on US AT&T).

If I didn't want that NFC Softcard payment so badly, I would've never got the official AT&T 830.

Last edited:

BSobotta

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
I went through three 920's till I got a good one, three 1520's never got a good one, and I have had one 830 and besides a miner issue with the search button every now and again, it works great.

anon(8648115)

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
They might've been from the same faulty production batch. Sometimes probabilities just screw us. As pointed out above, I too, did have to exchange my old 920 about three or four times before I got a good one. It's all luck of the draw, and no phone is immune. My mom even had to exchange her iPhone 5s three times because of faulty vibration and lock button issues.

​Just bad luck is all.

Lickatoad

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, sounds like bad like and like you said Jtbarton, it's a matter of probabilities. I'll try and get another one from somewhere else which will hopefully be from a good batch of them.

P1ng0fDeath

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
i've sent my 830 back for exchange/repair 3 times since i bought it (january 12). Today was the 3rd time.
1st - back cover didn't fit properly. I was ok with it, it happens.
2nd - Glance screen and Double tap to wake often failed to respond; screen flickerd when brightness was set to very low using Brightness Profile; navigation buttons occasionally failed to respond and had weak vibration and, to top it off, the call speaker on the front had an aesthetics fault on it. Three weeks without my phone. I was ok with it too, i didn't notice anything before.
3rd - Same as 2nd. Since they didn't fix anything at all the 2nd time (they merely did a "software update"; the phone returned exactly like a sent it, with all the same issues), i had to send it one more time. I mean, don't they run tests to see if the problems are gone? How can they deliver it back to me the same way they collected it? Probably three more weeks without it.

honestly, so far i feel like i just wasted money as i'm about to stay longer without my phone than with it. I'd feel ashamed if someone i recommended Lumia for had to go through this. If they can't fix it this time i'm feeling like asking for a refund and buy a Moto G2 like everyone else these days :cry:

chancooluk

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I have had two 830's and both have been fine with no issues.

The only reason why I have had two is because I bought a used one from Amazon Warehouse and it stopped receiving a signal after 3 months. It had been reported as stolen and blacklisted after I had been using it for 3 months...

Luckily Amazon were happy to refund me, and I managed to get a new 830 even cheaper.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
When I got my first 920, I got it from Amazon. It had problems so I sent it back for a replacement. Fortunately, Amazon is a company that will cross-ship. Got the second one. Same problems. I got a third cross shipment and it has been good. I found out the batch the first two come out of was shipped from a plant in Mexico. The third 920 I was sent, came from, I think it was Japan.

anon(5340442)

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Im on my 3rd 830. First one - vibration died after a week. Second one - sound/speaker stopped working after 3 monthes, was repaired but happened again after 2 days - wifi/bluetooth would also mess up quite a bit. On my third now, it has randomly rebooted a few times, but other than that it seems fine.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel