Replace only glass of Lumia 1020

mad820

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys

A few months ago, I accidentally dumped my phone face down on the ground.
Unfortunately, this Lumia didn't showcase any legendary survival behaviour and the glass cracked all over.
The touchscreen however is still working perfectly.

That's why I bought and subsequently received a new Lumia 1020 glass, together with some replacement tools.

After looking on the internet for some tutorials, I realized that it's going to be VERY difficult to replace only the glass and not the glass-digitizer combo.

Does anyone here have experience replacing the Lumia 1020 glass or some good tips for me?
The biggest problem is that the glass is completely glued together with the digitizer, and not only on the borders.

Thank you!!

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Getting the glass off isn't the hardest part. The hardest part is getting the new glass on.

Really, this isn't a repair for the average DIYer. You may not want to hear that, but it's true. If you do try it, go into knowing that you are likely going to end up buying a touchscreen/lcd assembly anyways, so you won't be so upset if something bad happens.

mad820

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
I realize it will be very risky and that I'll probably end up buying a touchscreen anyway.
But well, right now I have not much to lose, as I already paid for the glass :)

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
I hope you pull it off. I've got two 1020's with cracked glass. If you become a pro, I'll hire you to fix these two!

Good luck - keep us posted.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
To properly separate the glass from the LCD, you will need a thermal separator and to glue the new glass back, you will need LOCA glue, a vacuum and a UV source, just to name a few.

mad820

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Normally, I'll try it tonight.

I borrowed a hair dryer that should be able to produce enough heat (according to youtube videos) to melt the glue.
I don't have any glue however, just like I don't have a UV source (aside from the sun, which is probably not intense enough).

But normally the glass has glue on the borders, no? So I could at least attach it to the touchscreen?

mad820

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Took away most of the glass. Took me a loooooooooong time, because my glass was in 1000 pieces.
Still a few really small parts on the bottom I can't get loose.

Bigger problem however: screen stopped working.
When I put on my phone, the phone works, but there's no screen at all. Normally it should be there, even without the glass.
I'll continue later. If it doesn't work, I can still buy the LCD/glass combo, although I fear there might be something wrong with the connection between LCD and processor.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Normally, I'll try it tonight.

I borrowed a hair dryer that should be able to produce enough heat (according to youtube videos) to melt the glue.
I don't have any glue however, just like I don't have a UV source (aside from the sun, which is probably not intense enough).

But normally the glass has glue on the borders, no? So I could at least attach it to the touchscreen?

A hair dryer is usually not strong enough. I have a heat gun that I use for my repairs. The LOCA glue will be on the entire screen. The vacuum is used to pull the glue in an even manner across the screen.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Took away most of the glass. Took me a loooooooooong time, because my glass was in 1000 pieces.
Still a few really small parts on the bottom I can't get loose.

Bigger problem however: screen stopped working.
When I put on my phone, the phone works, but there's no screen at all. Normally it should be there, even without the glass.
I'll continue later. If it doesn't work, I can still buy the LCD/glass combo, although I fear there might be something wrong with the connection between LCD and processor.

From the sound of it, the LCD may be shot. This is the hardest part to not damage, hence the reason it is always recommended to replace the whole assembly. But, again, I can't see the phone so I'm stabbing in the dark.

mrcrusha829

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
Yep... I concur. It is not worth it to try and remove the glass from the LCD without the proper tools. When doing a screen repair I will almost always get the whole assembly as time wasted is not worth the money saved.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jallymonz