New Lumia 830 on AT&T - How to activate and setup? Restore from Backup?

JohnStrk

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I am getting a new Lumia 830 to replace my current Lumia 920 on AT&T. The 920 is working fine and I plan to keep it as a backup phone, but no longer line activated. I just wanted something new and got in on the Lumia 830 $199 MS store deal this week. I have some questions since this is now my 2nd Windows Phone.

I plan to go to the AT&T store to have them activate the new phone (SIM card) and transfer my line of service to the 830. I need to find out if I can switch my current Mobile Device Protection plan (Asurion) to the new phone. Not sure how this works or if I would have had to purchase from an AT&T store to get the insurance. I've had the insurance on my 920 all this time and now I want the 830 protected. Does anyone know how this works?

Next, I have done Apps + Settings and Text Messages backups on my 920 so when I go to setup the new 830 should I restore from my old backups or is it best to start from scratch? I don't have a lot of apps so I could download them all over again but it would be nice to have my text messages transferred over to the new phone. Everything else like photos and music I will copy over later once I get an SD card.

Thanks! :smile:

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

I am getting a new Lumia 830 to replace my current Lumia 920 on AT&T. The 920 is working fine and I plan to keep it as a backup phone, but no longer line activated. I just wanted something new and got in on the Lumia 830 $199 MS store deal this week. I have some questions since this is now my 2nd Windows Phone.

I plan to go to the AT&T store to have them activate the new phone (SIM card) and transfer my line of service to the 830. I need to find out if I can switch my current Mobile Device Protection plan (Asurion) to the new phone. Not sure how this works or if I would have had to purchase from an AT&T store to get the insurance. I've had the insurance on my 920 all this time and now I want the 830 protected. Does anyone know how this works?

Next, I have done Apps + Settings and Text Messages backups on my 920 so when I go to setup the new 830 should I restore from my old backups or is it best to start from scratch? I don't have a lot of apps so I could download them all over again but it would be nice to have my text messages transferred over to the new phone. Everything else like photos and music I will copy over later once I get an SD card.

Thanks! :smile:

I can only comment on the last part. (And I assume you use the same MS account)
1) If you enabled the apps+setting backup on the 920 then you could "restore" this backup on your 920. The advantage is that also your start screen is copied and you do not have to manual download the apps you had on your new phone. So there is not really a "best" option only a "what you want" option.

2) If you also have set the backup for text messages then they will also appear on your new 830 and it does not matter is you restore the 920 back up or not. The text messages will appear on the 830 in both ways. But be aware that the text message backup is a "2 way" back up. So if you delete a message it will also be deleted in the back up so do not delete them on the 920 as long as you enabled the SMS back up.

JohnStrk

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Sounds good. Yes I only have one MS account and plan to set it up with that. I'll probably try the restore backup and see how it works. I've never had to use a backup before. Hope it goes well. Thanks!

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
Contact the Mobile Device Protection plan (Asurion) and ask...about that.
I doubt that it's like automobile insurance and automatically transfers to the new phone.

ditto Harrie-S' comment. And you'll be asked if you want to restore the Lumia 920 settings ( to the 830) click yes.

Back up the 920 asap and you'll recognize the date when asked when you set up your 830.

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Regarding the insurance: I worked a at an AT&T retail store from 2006 to 2011, but I don't know how much their systems or policies have changed in the last couple of years. Here is how it used to work:

If you had insurance and purchase a new phone, either from AT&T or an authorized dealer, the AT&T rep would need to verify that you want to continue coverage on the new phone. If you were switching from a feature phone to a smartphone, the price of coverage would change, so they would have to change the code in their system. Going from a 920 to 830 would have the same coding, so if the rep isn't paying close attention, nothing should change anyway when they switch your IMEI.

Now, if you didn't have insurance previously and wanted to add it, that would be a completely different situation. You would then need to verfiy that you had purchased the phone within the eligible time frame. I believe you only have 14 days to add insurance at the time a new phone is purchased.

It would still be best to ask when you go into the store just to make sure since it has been 4 years since I worked for the company. Their policies on insurance very well could have changed.

JohnStrk

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Great thanks! I'll talk to AT&T about the insurance once I get the phone activated and see what my best option is. Might just cancel it since I will still have my 920 as a backup phone.

samuria1

Mar 28, 2015
Visit site
Quick suggestions...

One of the benefits of getting a Microsoft phone is the experience of the Microsoft store. Microsoft store techs or sales professionals will set up your phone for you. But the real reason for my response is your need for insurance. Microsoft offers their insurance for a $100 one time cost. It allows you to exchange your phone twice in two years for a brand new phone and not a refurbished one for $50 deductible. You don't even have to have a problem with the phone to replace it for a newer phone. If you bought your 920 from Microsoft and bought their insurance, you would be getting the 830 for fifty buck but wouldn't b be able to keep your 920.

I've exchanged phone multiple times with Microsoft and my comments are from personal experience. Now, I will admit that the experience may vary from city to city, but if you have a Microsoft store in your city, I'd suggest you go there first and have a chat with them. They can match AT&T cost if cheaper than their own price, set up your phone for you appropriately and you could get their insurance which is way better than Asurion.

Cheers and enjoy your new phone....

Jason Gilbert

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Didn't realize that Microsoft sold insurance. Thats a better deal than AT&T, which is typically about $6/month ($240 for a two year contract) and has a $200 deductible.

And enjoy the 830. I restored mine from my 520 and it went fine.

JohnStrk

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Yeah I am aware of Microsoft store insurance but unfortunately I don't live near a MS store. So for now I'd rather just deal with AT&T for device replacement in case of a lost, stolen, or broken brand new 830. At least for 12 months or until I upgrade to the new flagship hopefully around Nov/Dec 2015. :smile:

JohnStrk

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Didn't realize that Microsoft sold insurance. Thats a better deal than AT&T, which is typically about $6/month ($240 for a two year contract) and has a $200 deductible.

And enjoy the 830. I restored mine from my 520 and it went fine.

According to AT&T, the Lumia 830 is currently a Equipment Tier 2 device so it has a $125 deductible. But after 6 months the deductible drops to $93 then after 12 months drops to $62. Still I'm very careful with my phones. My 920 from June 2013 is still in perfect condition. Keeping the insurance on that until now has been a waste of $$$!

JohnStrk

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Finally got my new 830 yesterday and have been setting it up. Liking it so far. Feels a lot different than my 920.

I restored the recent backup from my 920 on the new 830. At first I didn't see all my SMS text messages but then figured out I had to keep syncing my MS account since it said it was not up to date. They are all moved over now.

Only issue so far: I can't get Facebook Beta to show up in my People Hub like it used to. Does this not work anymore? I see FB contacts in my contacts list but no profile pics for any of them. And under People Hub What's New the FB newsfeed is not showing at all. Under Filter Contacts in Settings, FB Beta is checked. I went into the FB app and Connect with my phone is ON, however it is unable to Sync. Should I try uninstalling FB Beta and reinstalling it again or is this just a temporary syncing issue on FB's end? Thanks.

FB Sync issue.JPG

Last edited:

JohnStrk

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Update - I got FB to finally sync!

What I did was in People Hub settings I turned On hide contacts without phone numbers, then I unchecked show contacts from Facebook Beta, last I went into FB Beta app and turned Off Connect with my phone, then a soft reset.

After that I reopened FB Beta and turned Connect with my phone back On. At first it did not sync but then retried again on it's own and finally completed the up to date sync. Now I rechecked FB Beta to show in People Hub and now I'm seeing profile pics and the newsfeed again.

Damn ongoing Facebook on WP issues!! :eck:

JohnStrk

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
I'm starting to question whether I should have restored the recent backup from my 920 on my new 830.

When setting up my 830, I used a restore backup from my 920, which worked fine. But I am not happy with the slight lag performance of Glance and Double Tap to Wake compared to my 920. The 830 seems slower to wake up the display than on the 920 for some reason. And waving my hand over the display or a double tap sometimes does not wake up the display or show the Glance info at all. My 920 never had this issue and the display responds very fast.

I'm considering trying a hard reset, then a fresh install and not use the restore backup to see if that helps. Anyone have any similar results or issues? Thanks! :unhappy:

Fred Wilson2

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
I just recently ( 6 weeks ago or so), went from am 830 (which I still have) to a 920 and I find the 920 to be much more responsive than that 830, especially regarding screen touches, input(s), etc. and, yes, I have the touch sensitivity set the same on both phones (normal).

:)
Fred

I'm starting to question whether I should have restored the recent backup from my 920 on my new 830.

When setting up my 830, I used a restore backup from my 920, which worked fine. But I am not happy with the slight lag performance of Glance and Double Tap to Wake compared to my 920. The 830 seems slower to wake up the display than on the 920 for some reason. And waving my hand over the display or a double tap sometimes does not wake up the display or show the Glance info at all. My 920 never had this issue and the display responds very fast.

I'm considering trying a hard reset, then a fresh install and not use the restore backup to see if that helps. Anyone have any similar results or issues? Thanks! :unhappy:

JohnStrk

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
I did a hard reset last night and this time chose to do a fresh install and not use the restore backup from my 920. Glance and double tap seem a little better. Maybe it's just in my head. I can live with it. The display just does not seem as quick to respond as the 920. Not a big deal. Hopefully the full Denim update will help! :asleep:

Fred Wilson2

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
The display and often apps are not as quick to respond on the 830 as on the 920.
One reason is because the 920 has dual channel ram and screen memory and the 830, a lower end phone, uses only single channel memory.

Fred

I did a hard reset last night and this time chose to do a fresh install and not use the restore backup from my 920. Glance and double tap seem a little better. Maybe it's just in my head. I can live with it. The display just does not seem as quick to respond as the 920. Not a big deal. Hopefully the full Denim update will help! :asleep:

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
I've always had better luck with doing a fresh install. I always get my text messages back and email, calendar and contacts are covered by my Outlook account. I've tried both methods with my 822 and the fresh install just seemed to overall work better.

When I moved to the 830 I went the same route and so far, so good!

JohnStrk

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
I've always had better luck with doing a fresh install. I always get my text messages back and email, calendar and contacts are covered by my Outlook account. I've tried both methods with my 822 and the fresh install just seemed to overall work better.

When I moved to the 830 I went the same route and so far, so good!

Yeah the hard reset and setup with a fresh install worked good for me. I've never had to do a hard reset before on any phone. And it was kind of fun setting up everything new again and only adding back the apps I really needed. The only thing I really missed was call history. I assumed that would carry over like text messages but I really don't need it. Better to start fresh! Now I'm really anxious for the full Denim update!

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I agree about the call history. But I got over that. I hard reset my 822 a bunch of times because after I did it the first time I realized it was really easy. I don't have game and app data to worry about so it was always easy and only took about an hour to have it and running.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720