Back/Home/Search buttons dead by magnet?

JuanPZV

Mar 29, 2015
Visit site
3 days ago I was working on a electric project and a Partner thrown me a magnet and it falls on my phone. Then, I tried to go back to Home but the buttons didn't work, same thing with the Back and Search Button. 5 Hours later, my phone had 30% of battery, so I connected it to my computer while I'm going to class, but hours later, my phone has 14%!, one second later, 13%!!, I heard music for 30 seconds and the Phone turned it off. Saddly, I go back to my house, but 2 meters from the door, and the phone go back! and it has 7%, but the buttons still doesn't works.

Right Now, the buttons doesn't works anymore, but the screen, the battery, and the OS are working Fine! (when I said Fine, it's FINE). I managed to make shortcuts on the Action Center but I can use my phone on that way anymore.

Is there anything to fix it without go to Technical Service?
I tried with Soft and Hard reset, without success :unhappy:

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
3 days ago I was working on a electric project and a Partner thrown me a magnet and it falls on my phone. Then, I tried to go back to Home but the buttons didn't work, same thing with the Back and Search Button. 5 Hours later, my phone had 30% of battery, so I connected it to my computer while I'm going to class, but hours later, my phone has 14%!, one second later, 13%!!, I heard music for 30 seconds and the Phone turned it off. Saddly, I go back to my house, but 2 meters from the door, and the phone go back! and it has 7%, but the buttons still doesn't works.

Right Now, the buttons doesn't works anymore, but the screen, the battery, and the OS are working Fine! (when I said Fine, it's FINE). I managed to make shortcuts on the Action Center but I can use my phone on that way anymore.

Is there anything to fix it without go to Technical Service?
I tried with Soft and Hard reset, without success :unhappy:

I'm guessing it was the impact of the magnet on the phone rather than the magnetic field itself that's caused the issues... unless that magnet was a neodymium magnet of considerable size.

If it was the magnetic field, then it could be a corruption issue. You could try using the Lumia Software Recovery Tool, but depending on the severity of the corruption results will vary. Worse case scenarios include not being able to recognize the phone with your PC.

Nonetheless, the safest course of action would be to bring your phone to a service center to have it checked. It would be up to you if you would mention the magnet incident to the service center representative or not... just keep the warranty in mind.:cool:

JuanPZV

Mar 29, 2015
Visit site
If you have corrupted files a Hard Rest will only repeat the error as it flashes what is on the phone...

Try using Lumia Software Recovery Tool to flash a clean copy of the latest official software: FAQ - How can I recover/reset/restore my phone software? - Microsoft - USA

Ok, I didn't mind on use LSR. I will do it right now

I'm guessing it was the impact of the magnet on the phone rather than the magnetic field itself that's caused the issues... unless that magnet was a neodymium magnet of considerable size.

If it was the magnetic field, then it could be a corruption issue. You could try using the Lumia Software Recovery Tool, but depending on the severity of the corruption results will vary. Worse case scenarios include not being able to recognize the phone with your PC.

Nonetheless, the safest course of action would be to bring your phone to a service center to have it checked. It would be up to you if you would mention the magnet incident to the service center representative or not... just keep the warranty in mind.:cool:

Well. It was a terapeutic Magnet, wait, it was two of them, it's very hard to separate each other, so maybe the problem was the Magnetic Field. I will use the LSR and I'll cross my fingers too.

Thanks for your helps

JuanPZV

Mar 29, 2015
Visit site
Okeeey..... Didn't work :(
I think that the capacitative (did I say it well?) are dead :unhappysweat:

This is weird, if iI close my phone to my Headphone's Wire, it's (my headphone) sounds like "bip bip bip bip bip bip", but if I separate it from the wire, my headphone go back to normal. But only when my phone is Unlocked (or on the Block Screen)... Could my phone stills magnetized?.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Ok, I didn't mind on use LSR. I will do it right now

Well. It was a terapeutic Magnet, wait, it was two of them, it's very hard to separate each other, so maybe the problem was the Magnetic Field. I will use the LSR and I'll cross my fingers too.

Thanks for your helps

Okeeey..... Didn't work :(
I think that the capacitative (did I say it well?) are dead :unhappysweat:

This is weird, if iI close my phone to my Headphone's Wire, it's (my headphone) sounds like "bip bip bip bip bip bip", but if I separate it from the wire, my headphone go back to normal. But only when my phone is Unlocked (or on the Block Screen)... Could my phone stills magnetized?.

Therapeutic magnet that's difficult to separate from each other? Sounds like a neodymium magnet, but not the most powerful ones. Also, given that you're experiencing electronic blips that should not be experienced at all after the incident, I'm with RumoredNow in suggesting that you may want to bring your phone to a service center for repair.

WinSammie

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
The only magnetically sensitive things in a phone are the SD card (guess you don't have one, otherwise remove it...) or the supply coils. If the phone was on while the magnet fell upon it the supply coils are 'saturated', which may result in large currents and/or voltages in the electronic circuits, that may have caused damage. Also the metal shields may have been magnetized, causing the supply coils not functioning well. That effect will slowly improve as the magnetization will decrease slowly in time.

JuanPZV

Mar 29, 2015
Visit site
Therapeutic magnet that's difficult to separate from each other? Sounds like a neodymium magnet, but not the most powerful ones. Also, given that you're experiencing electronic blips that should not be experienced at all after the incident, I'm with RumoredNow in suggesting that you may want to bring your phone to a service center for repair.

If LSRT did not solve this... It is hardware. Something got fried. Time to seek repair.

I will bring my phone to the Service Center then. The problem is that I want to gift my phone to my brother (he has a slowly samsung) because I will buy a L1520 soon, I don't have any problem to use my phone with "Quick Launcher", but my brother doesn't know how to manage it (he is really noob on this). Thanks you for your help.

The only magnetically sensitive things in a phone are the SD card (guess you don't have one, otherwise remove it...) or the supply coils. If the phone was on while the magnet fell upon it the supply coils are 'saturated', which may result in large currents and/or voltages in the electronic circuits, that may have caused damage. Also the metal shields may have been magnetized, causing the supply coils not functioning well. That effect will slowly improve as the magnetization will decrease slowly in time.

I have a SD Card but it's work fine. All my information are save (I can hear music, watch Videos, use On-SD-Card apps, without any problem).
The Home/Back button are damaged permanently? or it will be work fine again in a while?. The incident happens on the last Wednesday, or monday, I can't remember. Almost a Week with this (and 3 Hard Reset and 1 LSRT).
It's weird, because the buttons's lights works, the low part of the screen too. The magnet that I had is not anymore with me from the Incident day.
Microsoft must add the Virtual buttons option to us, when, for some reason, we can't use the capacitative buttons :straight:

Well, thanks for your help. I will bring the phone to the Service center as soon as I can, and I will post any information about it.

JuanPZV

Mar 29, 2015
Visit site
Bump: Okey, this is weird. My Phone "still" as the same, the buttons doesn't works and I didn't bring it to the Service Center. But today, I was working at the college on my computer and my phone was next to my computer, unlocked and with the WhatsApp oppened... And suddenly the phone go back to Home, then go back to WhatsApp, then to the Home again, and then, go to Search... I put my finger on the table very close to the phone, and it vibrated!!. but I tried to use the buttons but didn't works. I still working and 5 minutes laters it occurs again, but I tried to use the buttons again without success...

Are my buttons come back to life? WinSammie , are you correct? it could be the Coils that is magnetized and it's discalibrating my buttons?

This is like when someone is on coma, sometimes he/she is moving the finger suddenly, and later, he might (or might not) wake up.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Bump: Okey, this is weird. My Phone "still" as the same, the buttons doesn't works and I didn't bring it to the Service Center. But today, I was working at the college on my computer and my phone was next to my computer, unlocked and with the WhatsApp oppened... And suddenly the phone go back to Home, then go back to WhatsApp, then to the Home again, and then, go to Search... I put my finger on the table very close to the phone, and it vibrated!!. but I tried to use the buttons but didn't works. I still working and 5 minutes laters it occurs again, but I tried to use the buttons again without success...

Are my buttons come back to life? WinSammie , are you correct? it could be the Coils that is magnetized and it's discalibrating my buttons?

This is like when someone is on coma, sometimes he/she is moving the finger suddenly, and later, he might (or might not) wake up.

It appears that those symptoms are caused by random signals generated from a circuit connected to the buttons, like a series of short circuits from a magnetized set of transistors. WinSammie's theory may be correct, but depending on the material demagnetization may take a considerable period of time. Mechanical watches (non-electronic example) and CRT TV screens (electronic example) are known to never demagnetize themselves even if left alone for a long time.

Going with your comatose metaphor, wouldn't it be better to just take the patient to the hospital rather than to just leave him or her at home and hope that he or she will suddenly wake up? Take your phone to a service center before further damage is done.:cool:

JuanPZV

Mar 29, 2015
Visit site
Okey Daddy...
Another thing, is that I can Press, with difficult, the search button and the home button using my Headphone's (from nokia) wire, anyway, I'll bring my phone to the Service Center the next week (maybe), tomorrow I can't because I don't have time, and Friday, Saturday and Sunday are holidays...

Well, thanks for your advice :amaze:

WinSammie

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
Sorry to say so, but it sounds like the electronic circuits handling your keys (and probably the buzzer, that's why it randomly vibrated) are damaged beyond repair.The only hope there is that it's just a connector that came loose because of the dropped magnet.

Last edited:

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Okey Daddy...
Another thing, is that I can Press, with difficult, the search button and the home button using my Headphone's (from nokia) wire, anyway, I'll bring my phone to the Service Center the next week (maybe), tomorrow I can't because I don't have time, and Friday, Saturday and Sunday are holidays...

Well, thanks for your advice :amaze:

Let us know what happens.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon