"Hey, cool phone!"

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I've been used to random compliments from friends, family, and strangers since switching to Lumia in 2011. My Lumia 800 and 920 inspired more than handful of comments (though my 1520 was beautiful, I mostly got "that's a huge phone"). But none have garnered more compliments than my Lumia 830.

Today was the fourth time a stranger said something about the phone. I was in line grabbing lunch when someone said "hey, that's a cool phone!" I just kinda laughed and said thanks. Then came the questions... "is that a case or the phone itself? Such an awesome design! I have an iPhone. Why'd you choose that one instead of the iPhone if you don't mind me asking? I don't know much about this stuff. Is that Android? (then they see my home screen). Oh, is that Windows? I heard those phones are pretty fast and have great cameras."

Answered all their questions. We must have talked about the phone for 10 minutes.

Til this day my funniest "compliment" story came in 2013, about a year into my owning the 920. This young woman (and her boyfriend) stopped at this mall bench I was sitting on to tell me my phone was cool. Asked if the phone was yellow or if it was a case. Then she said she had seen commercials about it and asked if the camera was really that great. She said she was sick of her "lame" iPhone and kept asking questions. About 3 minutes in, her boyfriend is just giving me this dirty look like "stop answering my girl's questions so thoroughly" lol. I think she noticed he was agitated for some reason and cut it short.

How often do you notice double-takes and stares at your phone? How often do you get compliments?

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Around here Lumias are very typical (as they originate from here) phones, so sadly they dont really get much attention. Obviously iPhones and Androids are still very popular too, but nobody will find it surprising if someone has a Lumia :p

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Around here Lumias are very typical (as they originate from here) phones, so sadly they dont really get much attention. Obviously iPhones and Androids are still very popular too, but nobody will find it surprising if someone has a Lumia :p

Although I've been noticing them more and more here in the U.S., I hope they one day become as commonplace as they are wherever you live!

sdreamer

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Do you use a case? I take it you dont. Its one reason I've been looking for just clear cases or going without so people can notice the Lumia more.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Do you use a case? I take it you dont. Its one reason I've been looking for just clear cases or going without so people can notice the Lumia more.

I do not. Case vs no case has been the subject of much debate in this forum. I actually own a clear, semi-frosted Incipio case, but I only use it if I'm going to be out and active all day. Regular day-to-day use, I don't use a case.

jockopablo

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
I'm using the black back cover and no case, so my phone generates no attention from casual observers. If I switched to the green cover that also came in the box I'm sure I'd get more comments.

Once when I took it out to use the camera someone sitting beside me noticed that the display looked different and asked about it.

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Well this kind of fits in. My company is in the process of migrating over to Windows phones from Blackberrys. One of the managers just got a Verizon HTC One. I saw him playing with it and started asking him about it. He was raving about it and even said "maybe I should rethink my iPhone", which stopped me in my tracks because he's always been a huge Apple fan.

I told him to let me know if he has any questions and he's already been back a few times as I've given him a few quick tips on day to day stuff. So far he loves it.

I have to say the the One is a nice piece of hardware. It's really fast.

Jonah Park

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
With my 830, the comments I usually get are
"How does it show the time even though the screen is off?" (Glance)
"Why don't you get any ads with YouTube?" (Tubecast)
"Why is the camera so big?"
"It's so thin!"
"Is that Android?"
"Can I ask Cortana something?"

I guess the moral of the story is that people don't know how great Windows Phones are until they actually try them. :)

b0blight

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
When I first got my 920 (red), many of my classmates were quite curious about it (being red and eye-catching of all). Even when I pulled out from the pocket just to send a message of sorts, questions would still be asked :D. When I switched to the 1020, same questions were asked also haha ! I guess the bright colours of the Lumias always works to help one stand out from the rest !

Nicholas Maguire

May 28, 2014
Visit site
I've had a few compliments about my 820, but of course it isn't near as good looking as the new Lumias. My brother has an 830 and that is a gorgeous piece of hardware.

I've compared my 820 side by side with a Galaxy S4 and it was still faster xD. People get impressed by the OS, a lot of friends have switched over. Sad thing is, I've had some people question me about my phone when they saw how fast and beautiful the OS is, then I told them it was "Windows Phone" and they suddenly dismissed it.

JohnStrk

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
When I used to use my yellow 920 I got a few questions like is that the phone with the really awesome camera (1020) and I'd have to say no it's the one before it.

Now I'm using an 830. I've had it less than a week but have the green back on it. Hopefully it gets some recognition. I using the Incipio Octane case and it's a pretty good case with the see through back. I felt the 830 edges were too slippery to hold so I'm going with a case for now. I wish MS would make some other colored cases easier to acquire. Yellow and Cyan would look awesome on the 830!

runamuck83

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
No one has ever commented on a Lumia phone I've owned, ams and I've owned a few (900, 920, 720, 1520, 830, 635, 530).

The only time anyone as ever commented on a phone I was using was a new iPhone 4S. The last iPhone I owned before switching to Windows...

boneycat

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I get asked a lot about my 920. Mostly when they see me texting. Oddly enough, my wife gets made fun of for using a WP 830 as all of her friends use iphones. She just laughs and calls them her "dime-a-dozen isheep friends".

mon_Wentworth

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
My old cyan 920 got a lot of attention at the time. One night I was at a bar and the waiter started asking me about the phone. He wanted to buy a phone for his girlfriend and thought that the 920 was very good looking. With the 830 I got a lot of attention too because of the back plates. I bought all the colors through eBay and every week or so I swap them. Most people ask if I change phones every month! Hilarious.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss