Does Lumia Icon Support Beamforming?

Joshua Jackson

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I see such different information, regarding the Icon's Wi-Fi ability, when doing internet searches.
Thankfully, there's an Icon spec thread.
But, I see no information about Beamforming.
I assume, since I don't see it mentioned, that it isn't supported.
I figured that asking would be good, though.
JJ

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Based on your post, I presume that your router supports beamforming. Mine does as well, but I can't find any literature about which clients support it and which don't. I have a Netgear N6300 and was updated with Netgear's Beamforming+ back in December. The user manual doesn't do a whole lot to explain how to turn it on. I did a little research and evidently, for it to work I need Netgear's Warp Speed WiFi app installed. Unfortunately, Netgear doesn't have a WP version yet. Just iOS and Android. :(

I don't think ANY smartphone has it built in, I think it requires an app from the manufacturer of the router. In my case, Netgear's Warp Speed WiFi app.

Joshua Jackson

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Beamforming is a standard.
If the transmitter and receiver both support it, then it works.
Beamforming+ is proprietary, though, and is subject to whatever Netgear says.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
True, but beamforming for 802.11n not quite as standard across all router manufacturers. It is standard across all manufacturers for 802.11ac.

All about beamforming, the faster Wi-Fi you didn't know you needed | PCWorld

Beamforming+ is beamforming plus whatever Netgear added, which means it will work on all devices that support beamforming, but if it is not a Netgear product then you won't get the "+" that Netgear added.

Like I said previously, I believe it will take an app for it to work even for non-Netgear routers. For beamforming to work, the client and router have to "lock on" to each other. Which means they have to talk to each other, that requires some form of app or software. As far as I know, smartphones don't have that built in, they need to have an app to communicate with the router. Both Linksys and Netgear have apps for that.

Joshua Jackson

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
For n, you're probably right.

I was taking about ac.

I think that's the only one there is an actual standard for.

At that point, it should be all in the hardware.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Well, unfortunately Netgear mentions it in the user manual, but doesn't explain how to actually do it. :/

I'll have to play around with it to figure it out.

fx45guy

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
Anything with a wave 1 .11ac QCA chip in the access point/router -> any form, implicit or explicit is busted.
It's fixed in their wave 2 .11ac silicon coming out shortly.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786