Why is my LUMIA 830 speakers distorting randomly?

Luminator55

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site
I just bought my first LUMIA device, Nokia LUMIA 830, a week ago. The phone is fabulous in all aspects, except for a bug (I hope it is).

1. The notification sound for SMS (Messaging, WhatsApp) and sometimes for normal notifications plays distorted (like a blown speaker). But when a new notification arrives after that, it seem to play nice. (This mostly happens when the phone is plugged into USB i.e. while charging).

While I was about to go for a replacement, I researched on the web and found that the issue is a common one with almost all LUMIA 830s.

Could anyone tell me why this happens? Is this a bug or a hardware issue? Should I replace my phone?

Edit: I have tired these steps so far!
1. Soft Reset (Everytime I had the distorted sound) :unhappy:
2. Hard Reset (Twice) :unhappysweat:

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
It's a software bug by most accounts. I went through a handful of Lumia 830s and they all occasionally had that issue. Not sure if Denim fixes it since Microsoft doesn't seem to like updating its unlocked American variants (take your pick of Lumias).

I know it's a little annoying, but I honestly wouldn't worry at all about it. Your device definitely isn't a lemon if that's the only thing wrong with it.

vaderag

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
Denim doesn't fix it :(
It's a weird one, only happens once a month or so to me, so not too bothered, but would rather it was fixed!!

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
never thought of it that much. Once in a while the alarm in the morning sounds distorted. Then it is on the charger. Never heard that while listening to music or with notifications though.

jockopablo

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
I don't know if this is the same issue or not, but I discovered today that my ringtone is silent when I'm connected to my charger. I've had the phone for a few weeks and have missed a few calls but couldn't figure out how I missed them. Now I know.

Is that the same problem?

anon(5340442)

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
I had this issue (started 3 months after I got the device) - random distorted sound/notifications, sometimes when on my wireless charger but it also happened when sitting on my desk. Eventually the speaker stopped working altogether, so I brought it back for repair. Phone was fixed (speaker replaced), but the problem came back a few days later (distorted sound/no sound). I returned the device and since it was the same issue, they just gave me a new one. Since I got the new device, I have not had that issue.

jockopablo

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
I think I fixed it! I went into Settings, Audio, and then scrolled to Enhancements. From there I turned off the "Flip to Silence" option. Now it rings when on the charger. I guess the phone was misreading its position while sitting face up and charging. Go figure.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium