What is the audio quality on an HTC 8X?

jpharwood

Apr 4, 2015
Visit site
audio quality on HTC 8X

I am interested in replacing my Lumia 630 with a phone of similar size, but better quality (I'm not interested in a large screen), and am considering either the Lumia 920 or the HTC 8X. I listen to music with my phone quite often, and was hoping to get some opinions regarding the audio playback quality of the HTC. Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks, JP

rose58

Dec 27, 2014
Visit site
Re: audio quality on HTC 8X

I have had my 8x since 11/2013. Love the sound quality from the Beats Audio it will play very loud . I don't know how the sound compares with say, the graphic equalizers from one of the higher end Lumia phones . You need to compare the 2 phones and play the type of music you like to listen to.

steve_w_7

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site

I have owned the htc 8x and the Lumia 925. The sound from the speaker on the 8x is killer. Its not going to blow you away, but for an external smartphone speaker, I haven't heard one that compares to the 8x. Somehow they are able to make it sound much bigger than it really is. Much better than my 925.

jpharwood

Apr 4, 2015
Visit site

Thanks! The 925 was another model on my list, it's great to hear from someone that has used both. My demands from a phone are pretty conservative, but decent audio is a must. Were you reasonably happy with the HTC when you had it? Thanks again for the help...
JP

jpharwood

Apr 4, 2015
Visit site

Thanks for the advice, I'm trying to avoid lugging an external speaker around, and the 8X seems the perfect size for me (no phablets for me). Are you still using the phone? I've heard that the camera has some issues, but I'm not that particular. I'm sure it's an improvement over my current camera, which takes forever to open. Thanks again...
JP

riiisko

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site

I have 8X and like a lot of people we are having cracking sounds in the left earpiece with volume slightly higher than average.
It's a phone, beats audio will not make it sound better, it just makes it louder with more bass

Andre-Omari John

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site

It's a phone, beats audio will not make it sound better, it just makes it louder with more bass

Plus other phones are much louder. I try to compete with friends' Iphones' and it's no competition. But for what it is, the sound quality is one of the phone's best features.

steve_w_7

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site

Thanks! The 925 was another model on my list, it's great to hear from someone that has used both. My demands from a phone are pretty conservative, but decent audio is a must. Were you reasonably happy with the HTC when you had it? Thanks again for the help...
JP

I got the 8x when it first came out and then switched to the 925 when it was released. I liked them both, but for different reasons I think I ended up liking the 925 better. Bigger screen with a different aspect ratio and the premium build quality. The 925 is a great looking and great feeling phone. Funny though, I stopped listening to music without headphones once I went to the 925. When I owned the 8x, I would just turn the music on and set the phone down. It really did sound pretty great. They were both high end phones when they were released and, though they are getting a bit long in the tooth, I don't think you will go wrong with either one.

920Walker

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site

The 920 speakers are not that great. You also cannot make any equalizer, Dolby or auto sound leveling changes while using the speakers; those features only work with headphones.

i106

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site

I still own 8X and I too demand high quality sound from my phone... However HTC 8X (at least for my personal tastes) is not good enough... Now I am not talking about the loudspeaker... (I still wonder why would anyone want to listen to music on a phone loudspeaker (and I say this not in a judgmental way)) I guess 8X does have a good one... but the sound I get from the 3,5mm jack.
When connected to amplified speakers 8X will go loud with Beats turned on but everything will be drowned in bass. Without Beats the sound is quieter but better. Still there is a lot of noise (very relative thing here) when compared with Nexus 7 2013 or even Moto G 2013... When I put a pair of headphones... Well I do not own anything special so I do not dare quantify the sound but I have to say it sounds a lot worse than iPod Touch 5th generation with the same headset and with the same songs on both players (another very relative thing here)... So there you have it...
Anyway, personally I do not have experience with Lumia 925 but judging from the numbers in GSMArena's review you could expect the same or potentially a bit worse sound experience...
With that being said... I have to say that I would go for the Nokia 925. There is more than a good chance that HTC will never get Windows 10 and the sound experience is almost the same... Everything else is better with Lumia 925 (screen, camera, additional software).

jpharwood

Apr 4, 2015
Visit site
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and advice. I must agree that Lumia is first in line for software and firmware updates, and may go that route. I can always leave a small external speaker at my desk, and keep some ear buds handy. I really wish that manufacturers would resume making quality phones with more manageable screen sizes. Perhaps the current phablet craze will wear off. Thanks again for the help.
JP

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo