United States owners, do you have Cyan/Denim update?

sumduud

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
Hey everyone, I have a question for US owners.

On Microsoft's website it says Amber is the latest update, but is there a way to get the most current update on your Lumia 620?

I'm considering buying one after my old Lumia 710 proved to be too troublesome and outdated. I really want a small phone again.

I recently bought a Moto G 4G LTE and although I really like it, I hate the size because I was so used to the easiness and pocket sized Lumia 710 I had. Small phones like this don't really exist much anymore.

I know the Lumia 620 isn't LTE but on T-Mobile's network it's "4G capable" aka 4G lite which is what my Lumia 710 was and that ran just fine. If anything it was just the browser and phone speed that held it back, I'm sure the Lumia 620 is quicker.

Otherwise I might just keep my Moto G until they come out with a new Windows Phone 10 smaller sized phone in the future. I don't have plans to go to iPhone, it's either Android or WP for me.

Athull

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
You can easily update to latest OS on the 620 using Developer Preview but the latest firmware cyan can only be made available by carriers or u will need to flash it but that means losing carrier specific frequencies for 4g.

sumduud

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
Ah I see, thank you. I had an outdated 7.5 phone so I'm not sure how this Developer Preview works.

What's the difference between having 8.1 with the Developer Preview vs actually having the firmware update?

And I'm guessing since US isn't getting 8.1 firmware that it won't get WP 10 firmware either... Was hoping to get something that would at least be upgradable to 10.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
You're stuck on that firmware unless you flash to a different ROM, which is probably possible, depending on bands.

However, if you were to get that as-is, you can use the Preview for Developers to get the most up-to-date OS. YMMV though, considering the relatively out of date firmware.
Might want to consult some 810 owners, who are in the same boat.

Athull

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
Ah I see, thank you. I had an outdated 7.5 phone so I'm not sure how this Developer Preview works.

What's the difference between having 8.1 with the Developer Preview vs actually having the firmware update?

And I'm guessing since US isn't getting 8.1 firmware that it won't get WP 10 firmware either... Was hoping to get something that would at least be upgradable to 10.

Proper firmware should help improve battery life and performance but some of the new features are also firmware specific. I don't remember which but I do remember that a lot of new features from Nokia package of WP 8.1 was only enabled by Cyan firmware.
Anyway for most parts u get all the goodies and all OS functions. Its the stuff related to camera and lumia specific features that might not work since they might need new firmware.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte