[L930] New owner Q & A?

korbenn

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site
Hello there!

I am a happy user of 930, right after my N8 I still have some questions to you, more experienced owners.

1] in Battery Saver - the ability to enable / disable power saving is limited to some apps only?
Some of my apps have this option visible, some just show the % of use, cannot see the bar to slide.

2] can TileArt stop animated tiles or replace them? Especially I hate FB icon in People and have to get rid of it asap.

3] besides getting a .jpg I spotted .nar - is there an option that can prevent it from being created?

4] Analog Clock Tile is my choice - well, do all extra clocks suffer from poor refreshing capabilities or is it WP or is it my phone?

5] if if I prevented, say, file manager from running in the background - it's still there after I 'close' the app - another bug?

Thank you in advance for letting me in on the secrets of my beloved Lumia :)

Marko Marjanovic

Feb 12, 2015
Visit site
re: [L930] New owner Q & A?

Hello there mr.korbenn! I'm not user of 930, but i have 1520, 735, 630 and originaly HTC, so i will try to answer on some of your question.
1) yes. Not all applications on store and/or phone run in background, but you can click on ,,show apps that can run in background" and disable/enable it.
Ps. Only small hand of apps can run while battery saver is on.
2) i hate ,,people" tile too! Just resise it to small to stop animated. And for removing Facebook icon in ,,people" go in ,,people", just above your picture cluck on ,,show all"(or show some) and unchek ,,facebook".
Ps. It won't show any contact from FB.
3) not sure. I think that's how system works.
4) not all, but if you seem like all of them are bit laggy, and your phone is bit laggy, i sugest you do ,,settings>about>reset your phone".
Ps. Do not forgate to back up!
5) i think that's is how app works. Just after using file menager, long press on back button and slide down.

Hope i helped, good luck!

eusty

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site

4. If it's on the lockscreen or a live tile then it's a system restriction. If you had every live tile updating every few seconds then it would use more data, but more importantly kill the battery life.

I think the minimum live tile update time is 1 minute.

korbenn

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site

Marko, kudos mate!

#2 again,
I go to People and see above ME/photo:
contacts - showing contacts with phone numbers
I can filter the contacts and ticked option is show contacts from my Outlook

no idea where FB is...

help

eusty, I like the rationale behind the whole thing, so thank you!

Marko Marjanovic

Feb 12, 2015
Visit site

Hey mr.Korbenn,
When i had Facebook (deactivated now) i had tick/untick option here..as far i remember.
It's same like Twitter one, so i guess i had it.. do not hold me for this words.
This is what i have, so Twitter is here..Facebook was.
Ps. as for OS i guess you are on Lumia Denim..since you have L930, maybe..i say MAYBE you are not and there is no option, i really don't know.
Sorry if i didn't help you.
Hope someone will !

wp_ss_20150406_0001.jpg

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site

Hello there!

3] besides getting a .jpg I spotted .nar - is there an option that can prevent it from being created?

.nar is the Windows smartphone file system for its smart software
The phone takes 10 photos very quickly and save all 10 frames as 1 .nar file for its own in phone app to use.
On your pc you can change the extension from .nar to .zip and then you can open it and see the pictures.
(So if you do not want .nar don't use burst mode)

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Hello there!

I am a happy user of 930, right after my N8 I still have some questions to you, more experienced owners.

1] in Battery Saver - the ability to enable / disable power saving is limited to some apps only?
Some of my apps have this option visible, some just show the % of use, cannot see the bar to slide.

2] can TileArt stop animated tiles or replace them? Especially I hate FB icon in People and have to get rid of it asap.

4] Analog Clock Tile is my choice - well, do all extra clocks suffer from poor refreshing capabilities or is it WP or is it my phone?

5] if if I prevented, say, file manager from running in the background - it's still there after I 'close' the app - another bug?

1) Yes, some apps don't run in the background anyway.

2) Not TileArt, but other apps like Start Perfect or 8.1 HD Tiles can. they can't replace most system apps, but its something.

3) Is the. NAR associated with a Lumia app, I suspect it contains crucial information a JPG just wont have

4) Some clocks are updated to take advantage of the every minute refresh rate I think...

5) Yes it'll still be there. It just wont run in the background.

korbenn

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site

6]
I am trying and trying to share my cellular data connection over Wi-Fi

I got to the point when I can see on my phone connected guest 1/8

In the tray of my Sony Vaio there's the active connection,says connected, yet the pages don't load at all.

What can be it related to?

on W7 x64, with OnlineArmor and TimeFreeze

edit// I saw the new Windows Phone as new active network in Online Armor and set it to Trusted, but it didn't work.

Also installed app caled Tether, but it's not useful, I guess.

Figured this one out on my own :grin:
In Ipv4 I had to change my setting from static to 'obtain automatically' and it works like a breeze :happy:

Last edited:

korbenn

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site

7] I noticed all my phone contacts are ported to Outlook. Didn't like the idea of seeing the numbers in 'cloud' somewhere else than my phone so I deleted those with numbers only.
All of a sudden I see no contacts in my phone and notice:

'all your contacts are hidden at the moment but you can find them'

How to unhide them?

edit// I did what seemed logical at that time, which is import from SIM again. And you know what? They are in outlook, again! Is there a way to seperate those two? I cannot back up to SD for an apparent reason...geee

Last edited:

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site

No you can not separate them.
If you have a MS account then the numbers are automatically "stored" in the cloud. So if you delete them in outlook you also delete them on your phone.

Bye the way in the people app in the top under "Contacts" you can see "showing" there are options which contacts are "shown". When you deleted all the contact numbers you did not see any contacts because in the showing option you set "Hide contact without phone numbers" to ON.

If you do not want the numbers in the cloud then you can do this if you do not use a MS account on your phone but that is not really an option.
Another way is if you called all your contacts one's then the numbers are also in the phone history. So if you after that delete the numbers in contacts you still can see them in the phone history. But only the numbers and no names. So also that is I think not really an option.

In today's world the is nearly no "escape" from a "cloud" if you use a smartphone.

korbenn

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site

Man, the way you depicted it - even I can grasp the concept now, thankful!!

8] How can I effectively work on various links. For this I copy some links from my FF on my laptop, paste them to a new txt in onedrive, they appear, true, yet no way to modify them, unless I'm mistaken.

For instance, I cannot copy past to, say, Surfy.

Is there any way to achieve my goal?

edit// evernote + favornote?
one note is out as it attempts to install Office and there is no offline installer.

Last edited:

vEEP pEEP

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site

I too have from N8 land!!! If Symbian was still viable, I'd still use it. Buy I'm happy with the Lumia 930.
Guess I did not help you. However nice to hear from other N8 owners.

korbenn

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site

9] are there any tested settings for MMS service?
I mean I did find some instructions and now I am getting mmses from my Sis, from her Xperia, but when my wife sends me one from her 735 the only way to download the media is to enable internet on my phone.

Any ideas?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

9] are there any tested settings for MMS service?
I mean I did find some instructions and now I am getting mmses from my Sis, from her Xperia, but when my wife sends me one from her 735 the only way to download the media is to enable internet on my phone.

Any ideas?

Cellular data must be enabled for any MMS

korbenn

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site
How come I dn't need to enable it for messages from my sister, then? I don't get it.

Can it be beacause my SIM-card is 12 years old?

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos