Screen Jump on Lumia 830

mike_in_nyc

Mar 28, 2015
Visit site
I recently purchased a Lumia 830 when Microsoft was running their $200 promo. After using it for a week with no problems I started noticing intermittent screen jumps while scrolling. I would describe this as text jumping vertically while scrolling which makes it difficult to read since I need to look for the text I was just reading. I noticed this same issue with a 1520 which I thought might be related to the tap scroll issue. Has anyone else had this issue with an 830? My daughter has a 635 and I never noticed any jumping while scrolling. Thanks.

Formula84

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
I recently purchased a Lumia 830 when Microsoft was running their $200 promo. After using it for a week with no problems I started noticing intermittent screen jumps while scrolling. I would describe this as text jumping vertically while scrolling which makes it difficult to read since I need to look for the text I was just reading. I noticed this same issue with a 1520 which I thought might be related to the tap scroll issue. Has anyone else had this issue with an 830? My daughter has a 635 and I never noticed any jumping while scrolling. Thanks.

Are you talking about jitter or micro stutter while scrolling or where the text jumps to another position on the screen almost as if you scrolled much more then you did?

awesomeindeed

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Common issue. At least from my own experience (we have three 830's in my family and all of them do it occasionally). Not sure why it happens or how to make it go away. It doesn't happen all the time, but it's annoying when it does.

AkArora

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Yes, it is there, most prominent in twitter app, among others. Maybe it is more noticeable in twitter because it needs much scrolling.

Ostbiten

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
Happening on both my 830's I've tested... I hate when it does that jumping....

Even in settings or applist this can happen...

Gaming Life

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
I sent my 830 for repair just for this. I hope they give me a new one that actually does not do this. Micro-stutter on apps also happens on my Lumia 720. But the scrolling stutter that skips a frame, only happens on Lumia 830. Happens mostly on the start screen.

mike_in_nyc

Mar 28, 2015
Visit site
Are you talking about jitter or micro stutter while scrolling or where the text jumps to another position on the screen almost as if you scrolled much more then you did?

I'm talking about text jumping to another position on the screen. I notice it mostly in the web browser.

mike_in_nyc

Mar 28, 2015
Visit site
I sent my 830 for repair just for this. I hope they give me a new one that actually does not do this. Micro-stutter on apps also happens on my Lumia 720. But the scrolling stutter that skips a frame, only happens on Lumia 830. Happens mostly on the start screen.

I just purchased the phone and am within the return period. Did the problem with yours get worse over time? I was wondering if I should try to exchange it.

Gaming Life

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
If you have text stutter, then do not exchange it. That is something with any Lumia. But if you have start screen stutter scrolling, then exchange it. It felt like it dropped a frame whenever I started scrolling. It made my experience crap. I lived with it for 5 months but now I just can't help it. It has something do with ocd.

Gaming Life

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
Got my phone back from repair and they fixed nothing. Not even one issue. Worst service in Canada. Calling them leads to them saying sorry and nothing else.

luMia630

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site
If you have text stutter, then do not exchange it. That is something with any Lumia. But if you have start screen stutter scrolling, then exchange it. It felt like it dropped a frame whenever I started scrolling. It made my experience crap. I lived with it for 5 months but now I just can't help it. It has something do with ocd.

I have this on my Lumia 630 it stutter when I scroll with my finger on screen as soon as I lift it it continue scrolling smoothly and it's super annoying especially not knowing if that's an issue that can be fixed or some or all Lumia phones just work that way. It seems that only people with OCD can see it :)

luMia630

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site
It's an OS issue... the screen jump exists on the 830, 630, 930, 1520 that I know of, and probably others.

That's what I thought people who say that they're phones doesn't do this apparently just don't pay attention to it, but what could be cause? According to comments in forum this micro stutter is present sync cyan update

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
That's what I thought people who say that they're phones doesn't do this apparently just don't pay attention to it, but what could be cause? According to comments in forum this micro stutter is present sync cyan update

I personally don't know enough to tell you, but one theory I've read is that it's an issue with the way the firmware is interacting with the OS. It doesn't bother me much, but either way I'm sure it'll be fixed. Apparently it's already considerably better with Denim and Update 2.

luMia630

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site
I personally don't know enough to tell you, but one theory I've read is that it's an issue with the way the firmware is interacting with the OS. It doesn't bother me much, but either way I'm sure it'll be fixed. Apparently it's already considerably better with Denim and Update 2.

That's true it's much better with update 2 and also today I've got interesting tip on other thread (where I posted video of micro stutter) that I should try to swipe with thumb sideways instead of tip of my thumb which apparently create too much friction, which is than translated to OS as this weird jumping. To my biggest surprise it actually work O.O I don't know if problem was at our fingers whole time or it's a combination of less friction and update 2 but now it's significantly better :) thank you very much for your help

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Interesting, I'll try that. The other trick I noticed is that keeping your thumb or finger on the screen for a shorter time prevents the jump. So if I want to scroll through a long list I'll flick with a little more force, while keeping contact with the screen for less time, as opposed to a slower scroll (more contact time on the screen and less force in scrolling).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786