Considering Lumia 640 from Samsung Note 4-good decision?

Scott Davies5

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
Hi

As stated in my title I am a long-time Android user who is looking for something fresh and new. I have previously had a windows mobile for work but never for personal use. Do you think the Lumia is a good buy coming from an android flagship. I am aware spec wise they are no wear near the Note 4 but i'm more looking at what the experience is like on wm with the specs that Lumia 640 has?
Smoothness is what I'm after and little to no lag, as this is what I always get on android after a few months of use even with a flagship phone.
I am also curious what integration you get from a WM to laptop to Xbox as I have these other two devices?

I am aware of the app gap but to be honest I only ever have like a handful of apps to allow me to be as productive as possible rather than using it for loads of games and such. though being able to play a few would be nice for them moments I have the time.

I would be primarily looking for the 640 instead of a WM flagship, as there isn't one announced yet for this year, to try the system out with the option of potentially upgrading to a flagship once windows 10 is out and if the extra horsepower would be needed.

any advice would be great.

Many thanks
Scott

P.s I doubt this is the first time a post like this has been put out so if anyone can link me to any other threads that would be great.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
You're not looking at blistering speed here but you're looking at reasonable horsepower. Its obviously a lower end phone but it'll provide a solid experience.

Xbox integration is basically some achievements in mobile games get your Gamerscore and you can use the Smartglass app.
As for the laptop you can sync IE bookmarks, tabs, passwords, the system theme, etc. but needs Windows 8 or higher.

OneDrive can tie in both the phone and other systems well in terms of files being on the same page.

I think choosing a solid, but not the most expensive device is a fine idea as a test drive.

broar94

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Well its a Snapdragon 400 processor so it wont be any fast as the one on N4. But Windows experience is very stable, and mostly lag free. You might find some resuming screens as 1Gb RAM isnt quite enough for quick multitasking. Have you tried nexus 5/6 by the way?

Scott Davies5

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
Many thanks for your thoughts, I had negated to mention my other reason for going for a more budget phone is my work commitments are taking me to sea for a few months, as i'm in the RFA, and taking a cheaper phone will be a good idea incase it get damaged and such on the trip.
I had a old blackberry z10 which I loved till the touchscreen broke and despite that having very old specs the fluidity of the operating system is much better than the note (only showing its age when using heavy apps). Samsung's phones suffer from too much bloat ware which is why i'm considering leaving android for the now as im not in the position to replace it with another flagship like the nexus. my wifes budget android has also shown me that is not an option at all for me.
I do think I may try the Lumia 640 for now as it has lots going for it for a meagre 150 ish price tag here. My old 625 I had for work never really caused me issues other than the keyboard which I believe iis being sorted in these newer updates.
I have also heard the newer windows 10 is adding a lot more integration that I like the look of.
many thanks
Scott

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos