How does the 1020 hold up?

bmbriefs

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Just destroyed my phone and am looking at the 1020 as a potential replacement. They're being sold pretty cheaply used (~$150). I'm obviously drawn to this phone for the camera, but don't want to make too much of a trade off in performance.

My typical use of my phone is taking photos, browsing the internet, checking email (primarily gmail user) and social networks, listening to spotify and podcasts. I'm not much of a phone gamer. I actually owned a windows 7 device bag in the mango days (HTC arrive) so I am somewhat familiar with the OS, although I imagine it has improved significantly since then.

My question is - do you think this phone will work well for me given my primary uses listed above? Or would you suggest I spend a spend a little more money (~$250) on the 1520 or perhaps a android or ios device.

revanthpallagani

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
I would suggest you go for 1520 if you can. Although 1020 takes good photographs it falls short in certain areas and the omission of Denim features doesn't help it's case. It checks all your boxes but 1520 gives you a better all around experience, better battery life and faster camera (considerably snappier) to name a few.

PostItNote

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
The Lumia 1020 is slow for most day to day functions now, outside of calls, texts, and very simple chat apps. The camera is still the best in class.

If you can handle the 1520, it's a better all around phone. It's too big for my uses. On the Android space, you can typically find an LG G2 for less than $200 nowadays, which is also a nice phone, albeit with lesser cameras than the Lumias.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I own a Lumia 920, which is very similar under the hood to the 1020, except being a bit inferior with less RAM and a lesser camera.

It runs quite smoothly for its relative age, it won't be blowing the 930 out of the water in performance, but its more than speedy enough. I'm not usually left wanting or hanging. It'll work great at all those considering its fairly basic usage, photo taking might not be the fastest however, or so I hear. My 920 is fine, but the 1020 deals with a lot more picture.

As for gaming, I noticed some occasional stutter or framerate drops in fancier games like MC5 or Dead Trigger 2. Perfectly playable though, and might actually reflect on my specific device not being rebooted or whatever in a while.

I think it'll work great at that price.
If you're looking Android, I'd go older-flagship or a Moto phone at that price.

The 1520 for $250 sounds like a great deal since its still current with some of the best hardware we have - although the camera isn't as good for stills. (got 4K video recording and Lumia Camera 5 features and stuff!)

I wouldn't get it because of its raw size, but if you can handle it, its quite the device. Got great battery life too compared to the 92x's. And I'm sure the 1020 as well.

RTGent

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
I waited for the 1520 to come out before I decided, but it took 5 minutes of handling them at the carrier to choose the 1020. The 1020 is still better than anything out there for my needs and tastes, including being plenty fast. (My great cars are fast too, even though there are plenty of faster ones out there. Ditto for my excellent cameras.)

There are no weak Lumia models, and you've already narrowed your options: Identify the one you like holding and looking at and go with it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6