Lumia 640 XL Bugs + Defects

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Is your 640 XL having XL problems? Or even the smaller ones, sound off here! Maybe even keep track of what's going on.

Although its worth noting that with any phone, there are bad units. One may not be representative of the entire lineup.

Tuchulcha

Dec 23, 2014
Visit site
Just got the 640XL and there's no way to download/move maps on the SD card. The Italian customer care just told me "it's normal". Planning to take it back to the shop.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Just got the 640XL and there's no way to download/move maps on the SD card. The Italian customer care just told me "it's normal". Planning to take it back to the shop.

Apparently there is controversy all over regarding this issue. At one time there was Lumia Storage Check Beta and that was the method used to get Maps on SD. It is no longer available. rhapdog has a very good explanation on it here: http://forums.windowscentral.com/as...t-available-download-anymore.html#post3042696

I'm afraid it is the new normal to not be able to move Maps to SD.

Kelmer Cunha

Apr 15, 2015
Visit site
Hi.
I'm from Brazil.
I have just started using WP with Lumia 640 XL.
I think that's something wrong with Waze because I just can't accept the terms and make it run.
Any ideas?
Thanks.

anon(9388663)

Mar 31, 2015
Visit site
Hi, I just got the 640 XL and it bugs me that the weather not working on glance screen.
I tried this
I am using 640XL, what I did is
-Turned on the location services.
-LockScreen>Background>Weather
-glance screen(in settings)>always on>Quick Status in turned Off(didn't worked when this is ON)>Night mode OFF
-Restart the device. Then it started working for me.

but it didn't work.
What else could I do?
Thanks.

anon(9388663)

Mar 31, 2015
Visit site
^ I'm not sure, I reset the phone but still not working.
And the about screen in All settings still rotates even if I turn on rotation lock, does it count a bug?

Intense Soul

May 15, 2014
Visit site
***************This is not a bug or Issue on lumia 640XL *************

There's been like people saying that (including me), we are unable to login our MS office account in Office 365 mobile app. But this is not an issue.
Please have a look at pictures below. Why I am posting here is clear lack of understanding, people are worrying so much about login issue. I thought it would be helpful if it's posted here rather than posting as separate thread.
The picture below looks like this for your subscription given by Microsoft.
windows office.png

Today's advertisement about the same in Indian Newspaper
WP_20150418_002.jpg

The actual error you will see looks similar as in below picture.

wp_ss_20150413_0002.png

M7MED ELChamouTi

Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
***************This is not a bug or Issue on lumia 640XL *************

There's been like people saying that (including me), we are unable to login our MS office account in Office 365 mobile app. But this is not an issue.
Please have a look at pictures below. Why I am posting here is clear lack of understanding, people are worrying so much about login issue. I thought it would be helpful if it's posted here rather than posting as separate thread.
The picture below looks like this for your subscription given by Microsoft.
View attachment 102588

Today's advertisement about the same in Indian Newspaper
View attachment 102589

The actual error you will see looks similar as in below picture.

View attachment 102590

did u activate the offer from Office 365 Gift app ... that I know u should first activate Microsoft account by this app first then log in the office 365 app

BladerXrz

Mar 8, 2015
Visit site
I have a black Lumia 640XL bought it just 4 days back....the battery drains 2 to 4% overnight....is this normal?(I have no background apps running and battery saver is always on)..do i need to perform a factory reset?It takes around 4 hours to charge the battery from 20% to 100%..

P.S I think the 640 XL..has a tendency to oversharpen images...it kind of looks like all the shots you take are in HDR mode...give me some pointers :)

Last edited:

Roxbro

Apr 26, 2015
Visit site
my lumia sometimes just turns off screen randomly for around 4 sec and then it turns on...It doesnt happen a lot but it happens..does anyone know what that could be ?

Intense Soul

May 15, 2014
Visit site
I have installed viber app and last night while I was chatting, the screen went black and I couldn't do anything. Neither the turn OFF or volume buttons worked for a minute. I was about to remove battery but the screen came back into life.

Whew out of screaming at mid-night.

2) sometimes the double tap doesn't works and we have to tap till it does.
3) camera isn't working great when there is not sunlight as the camera app looks dull but gives the same kind of pics. (not sure if it is really an issue or bug but posting it).

BladerXrz

Mar 8, 2015
Visit site
Yea i get your point...the auto mode takes random pictures at night,you have to manually set the shutter speed to 0.8 seconds to get decent low light pictures..or just set the ISO ranging from 200 to 800..it works well...Or if you want a really good snap...set the ISO to 64 and shutter speed from 2 to 4 seconds...its gonna take brilliant pictures..given you have real steady hands...

P.S Bump...need a reply to my post i posted above...concerning the overnight 2 to 3% battery drain with battery saver on..(no background apps running) plus it takes around 4 hours and 20 minutes to charge fully...

Intense Soul

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Yes, changing the settings while taking pictures but when you have to take a surprising pics. Then it's hard to take but anyway the pics are really beautiful.

Yes, mine takes around 3hrs or more coz the battery itself is a BEAST. I keep it charging during night times. Coz I neither wake up nor it's get disturbed by me. So I'm giving it rest and when coming to drain, yes it happens. Remember the basic point if you have selected network the device struggles to give the continuous signals to device. Any fluctuations in network can cause this. I face this drain, not just me even noticeable on my brother's 638. I will check my new device tonight. I don't use battery saver, coz it's not really needed on 640XL with 3000 mAh it's use looks silly(not stating over you). I keep my location on, I travel heavily and i get around 12 hrs with H+/H/E networks as it's selected automatically and swaps accordingly. I chat around 4+hours too.
But the battery used to be sucked very soon when I had BBM installed and did chatting over it. But now I am using just whatsapp.

BladerXrz

Mar 8, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for helping out..but i still think the standby power consumption is pretty high on the 640 XL...and microsoft should fix this issue as soon as possible in the future updates...hopefully someone from microsoft is listening.....I would easily get around 3 days plus on my Lumia 720..on heavy use..plus the standby time was brilliant...it lost no charge overnight....and could almost go on for a week without a charge...yes that is how good the lumia 720 was :)..I still have high hopes from the 640 XL

Last edited:

Saurabh Vaidya

Jun 22, 2014
Visit site
Is there any touchscreen issues on this phone? Anyone noticed as it is on Lumia 535? I own both 535 nad 1320 and planning to swap 535 with 640xl so need to ensure that there isn't any touchscreen issue with this device.

rOIVAz

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Sadly my 640 XL that arrived this morning is going back to Microsoft :(
There's a small but noticeable screen defect in the top right hand corner - the dreaded YELLOW TINT OF DEATH (on white backgrounds like Outlook / IE). It's visible on all but black backgrounds so impossible to ignore. MS Tech Support had me soft reset and then wipe the device but conceded it's a hardware fault.
Now I have to decide whether to wait for the refund cash or buy another one on a new order....patience is the more sensible option but I want a new tech toy NOW.

ZombieZoom

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
I just bought one here in Egypt and I confirm that both cameras performs bad in low light even worse than my 535's!!
Can you believe that my 535's front camera takes MUCH better pictures than my 640 XL's in low light?!
I hope Microsoft releases an update fast :/
Other than that, the phone is awesome and I love it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel