Lumia 520 Died during downgrade to 8.1 from 10. How can I revive it?

Kartik Kohli

Apr 12, 2015
Visit site
Re: Lumia 520 Died during downgrade to 8.1 from 10.

I think it does not charge dead state.

I have tried charging it for 5hours.
No good.
I suspect same problem. Thats why i will try tomorrow with a different battery. My friend has same phone. I will Try battery in his phone.
I just wish problem comes out to be of battery . Because on few forums they are saying it might be a cause of motherboard being shot.

Skamath

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site

Nokia recovery tools does not support our devices. Since all phones are 8.x . They release WPRT for these phones. ANd i have already downloaded all system files. No solution :(
Kartik These posts below are the ones that I was referring to.
NSU as mentioned below is one and the next link below that is what I was on about. It will detect your phone only if you know your RM number and product code. As the NSRT is getting patched so it can access files online details will have to be manually entered.
Your RM number could be RM-913, RM-914, RM- 915, RM-917 . This you will have to figure out first and for product code do a search online and you will find plenty of them. take a pick and in NSRT there is an option on the bottom left to recover a dead phone. If steps followed correctly it will do what it is meant to do.

Have you try NSU? You have not mention it that you have use it, did you?
Nokia Software Updater for Retail now available as the ultimate bricked phone rescuer - WMPoweruser
It's different from NokiaSRT , LumiaSRT & WPSRT.

No, nokia care suite only for phone prior to WP7. You can try my link provided above for Nokia Software Updater. It also work for my 620.
It can detect and recover dead phone.

To everyone downgrading from 10 to 8.1, THIS:
[Tutorial] Flash (unbrand) Lumia devices | Windows Phone 8 Development and Hacking | XDA Forums

Is a way better way to downgrade and pretty much fool proof.

Kartik Kohli

Apr 12, 2015
Visit site

Kartik These posts below are the ones that I was referring to.
NSU as mentioned below is one and the next link below that is what I was on about. It will detect your phone only if you know your RM number and product code. As the NSRT is getting patched so it can access files online details will have to be manually entered.
Your RM number could be RM-913, RM-914, RM- 915, RM-917 . This you will have to figure out first and for product code do a search online and you will find plenty of them. take a pick and in NSRT there is an option on the bottom left to recover a dead phone. If steps followed correctly it will do what it is meant to do.

NSU and Nokia care suit both have option to select your phone using product code and product type etc. BUt it gives same problem as WPRT when i try to flash. It doesnt detects phone.And just keeps giving warning usb/phone not connected or something like this.NSRT detects my phone when i use dead phone option but it says your phone is not supported.

antu21

May 17, 2014
Visit site

keep trying folks but the end result will be disappointed. The chipset is fried up which cannot be recovered until and unless you change the chip or the whole motherboard.
My suggestion for you all is to search for the people who are selling their Lumia 520 whose screen is broken, you can get the cheapest deal with them and then replace the motherboard with that phone. That's the best and cheapest way of rectifying the problem.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site

Have any one of your posting here tried the USB dead flash method using Nokia Product Support Tool using offline mode? I've used it atleast 7-8 times since last Friday to downgrade my 920 using the dead flash method and it has always worked. Heck I always flash using the same method.

Last edited:

Paragkharche007

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site

Your phones are in Qualcomm download mode. So no vibrate, no Nokia logo. You have to replace motherboard or do a JTAG flashing.

Skamath

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site

NSU and Nokia care suit both have option to select your phone using product code and product type etc. BUt it gives same problem as WPRT when i try to flash. It doesnt detects phone.And just keeps giving warning usb/phone not connected or something like this.NSRT detects my phone when i use dead phone option but it says your phone is not supported.

So if that is the case try this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjkrSxbM0Ts
Jtag flash like in the post above.

Arpit Jain DS

Dec 18, 2014
Visit site

I suggest going to Nokia care as they have the adapters that can power up ur chipboard.

Its better than going to local repair shop

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site

Ok try this.

If you can turn on your phone (without USB cable)
As soon as phone turns on (even if screen is green or looks stuck) take out the battery (don't switch it off just pull the battery out).
Replace the battery after it has been out for 2 minutes.

Run the Lumia recovery tool on your pc

Plug the USB in the phone.
Switch on.
Once the recovery tool sees your phone run the program as normal.

**Note you don't have to put in your sim code or anything once the recovery tool sees the phone run it**

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site

They told me to replace motherboard for same problem.

A quick test of your motherboard if its done.

Take battery out.
Plug in USB in your phone (battery still out)
If your pc makes the ding ding noise then its not the motherboard its your battery that's the problem.

Kartik Kohli

Apr 12, 2015
Visit site

Now Microsoft has pulled Windows 10 TP from lumia 520/525 since all phones were getting bricked during downgrade using WPRT. So i guess there is a problem with WPRT :/.

Thanks to all who helped and provided their valuable opinions. :)

I took my phone to a local tech. He said it will cost me 400 INR to fix it. It requires a boot repair (using JTAG most probably). So this is the best option after considering all scenarios .I am going for this.
Will let you know tomorrow if he is able to fix my phone.
Regards
Kartik Kohli.

Gautham V kunnath

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site

Now Microsoft has pulled Windows 10 TP from lumia 520/525 since all phones were getting bricked during downgrade using WPRT. So i guess there is a problem with WPRT :/.

Thanks to all who helped and provided their valuable opinions. :)

I took my phone to a local tech. He said it will cost me 400 INR to fix it. It requires a boot repair (using JTAG most probably). So this is the best option after considering all scenarios .I am going for this.
Will let you know tomorrow if he is able to fix my phone.
Regards
Kartik Kohli.

Please let me know the status

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss