Lumia 520 with Windows 10 Preview: Bricked after attempted downgrade, what should I do?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Lumia 520 with Windows 10 Preview: Bricked after attempted downgrade

I have a Lumia 520 on which I installed Windows 10 Preview. After install, I found that it was buggy, slow, and unacceptable. I decided to revert back to 8.1.

I tried to use the Nokia Software Recovery Tool but it said the phone was not supported. Downloaded the Windows Phone Software Recovery Tool, and it was able to get it to recognize the device, but the installation failed three times. Eventually, the screen went black and it won't turn on. I tried everything I could find online, such as Power + Volume Down but nothing worked.

What should I do?

BigtheFatTiger

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
Re: Lumia 520 with Windows 10 Preview: Bricked after attempted downgrade

I don't have a solution for you, sorry, but I was wondering if you were able to get to the Settings menu/app? After I installed the WP10 preview on my 520, besides being very slow, I was unable to open Setting at all. I pressed the button/tile/shortcut in the notification area and it just sits there like I didn't even press anything.

Perhaps I'll try to recover mine to see if I come across the same issues.

I'll let you know.

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site

There's a good few threads in the Forums on the subject. From what I can make out, you're on the right track, but it may take more attempts to get one of the recovery tools to recognise the device.

Zuchit

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site

Bricked my Lumia 525 when using Windows Phone Recovery Tool.....

I believe it can be fixed..... had to buy a cheap chinese android phone for whatsapp and calling...

JTODD99

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site

I updated my Lumia 925 to the windows 10 technical preview and what a mistake it was. Buggy and glitchy as all hell. Then after an hour it would not recognize the sim card and for all intents and purposes bricked my phone. I used the Lumia recovery program to roll back my phone to 8.1 have not had a problem since..

I warn everyone that wants to try this that you could potentially ruin your phone. I got lucky with the recovery program but all are not so lucky.. My advice is to wait till the official launch and even then I might not upgrade because what I saw and experienced with windows phone 10 is not an improvement and completely changes to many things that do not need to be changed..

You have been warned , install the technical preview if you want but I feel you will be disappointed and could lose your phone all together .

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site

If you'd hard reset it and then set it up as a new device, I bet your experience would have been better.

JTODD99

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site

I did several hard resets and none fixed my sim card issue. The update ruined my phone , if the recovery tool hadn't worked I would have had a useless Lumia 925.

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site

Yep. When installing the Technical Preview on the phone there's two large warnings that installing it may permanently damage hardware.

YYZ Richard

Apr 17, 2015
Visit site

I had the same problem when installing the WINDOWS PHONE 10 preview.
PROBLEM:
The phone heats up (like stove hot), drains the battery and shutdowns. Once it cools down, it restarts again and the same thing happens over-and-over again.

SOLUTION:
You must keep your phone temperature down, so the phone doesn't shut off:
1. Fill a bowl with ice
2. Cover the bowl with a plastic bag (I used a grocery bag)
3. Place your phone on top of the plastic bag, and keep it connected to the power. Make sure the phone doesn't slip into the ice
4. Restart the phone, and the setup will continue.

If your phone is already on infinity loop, skip step 4, just let the phone resting on top of the bowl. It's a lengthy process, don't sit around expecting to get ready in 1 minute.

Good luck

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs