[L640] It's finally here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I don't quite understand this. Are you talking about banner notifications or the lock screen detailed status? You can turn both of those off. Or something else?
I am talking about displaying actual text messages in full view of the lock screen. I have searched and all I can see is people complaining that it can't be turned off. So where do I go to turn this off? Have they since added a setting? I don't have a problem with notifications, I do have a problem with it displaying the actual text, especially as my wife has a habit of leaving her phone lying around at home.

So far though she likes it though and should enjoy the better camera :)

Davide Carozza

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
I am talking about displaying actual text messages in full view of the lock screen. I have searched and all I can see is people complaining that it can't be turned off. So where do I go to turn this off? Have they since added a setting? I don't have a problem with notifications, I do have a problem with it displaying the actual text, especially as my wife has a habit of leaving her phone lying around at home.

So far though she likes it though and should enjoy the better camera :)

Try Settings, Notifications+Actions, Messaging and you can uncheck Show notification banners. That option has been there for a while, I think it's what you mean, though I am still unsure.

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Try Settings, Notifications+Actions, Messaging and you can uncheck Show notification banners. That option has been there for a while, I think it's what you mean, though I am still unsure.
I'll have another look this evening. I remember trying to turn it off last night while setting it up but I probably misinterpreted a setting. Sorry to sound a bit terse but it was one feature that I remember you couldn't turn off on my 521 and it kind of annoyed me. I can see where it would be useful but I always like the ability to decide for myself in a device :)

Davide Carozza

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
No worries. I'm pretty sure that the above will do it for you.

Edit: There's also a setting to turn off ALL notification banners when the phone is locked, if you prefer, though I suspect you'll want to turn off just the messaging ones. Anyways, you'll see it when you go to Notifications+Actions.

Last edited:

TwoBitWhackJob

Jun 17, 2015
Visit site
This is the built in SMS not an app like a Chat program, but if there is a way to turn that off I will gladly stand corrected :)
I screen shot my lock screen... Once I have enough posts to share a link, I'll post a picture of it. I have 2 texts, 0 anything personal being shared.

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
No worries. I'm pretty sure that the above will do it for you.

Edit: There's also a setting to turn off ALL notification banners when the phone is locked, if you prefer, though I suspect you'll want to turn off just the messaging ones. Anyways, you'll see it when you go to Notifications+Actions.
Yeah I don't mind getting a notification displaying who it's from, just not what it says :)

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
With this phone you get a free one year subscription to office and 1TB of OneDrive space. I am curious, if you don't renew your subscription after the year is up, I assume you lose your 1TB of space, so what happens to any photos etc stored there. Do they delete them all or do you still get to keep them, but you can no longer add to them? I mean the first 30GB or so was free anyway.

Elitewolf

Apr 17, 2015
Visit site
I was finally able to purchase one this morning. They didn't have any cards out yet just the price tag even though online they said it was in stock.So I asked and they brought me one from the back.

djrakowski

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
I've just reserved one for pickup at our local Wal-Mart. It seems as though I've gotten the last (or perhaps only) unit in stock, and should have it in my hands soon!

boonesmi

May 17, 2015
Visit site
can now order it from walmart.com with instore pickup.

3 of the 5 walmarts in my area have it available for pickup today. my closest walmart is out of stock (lol, that might be because I bought the last one they had a couple days ago)

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Got 4. Apparently you can only buy 2 on-line from any Walmart account so I bought 2 and my wife bought 2. I already picked up my pair.

3 are gifts; the 4th will replace or be backup to my wife's 925 after she compares them.

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Managed to disable the notifications finally on my wife's Lumia so I decided to purchase a second one for myself. I figure at $99 if Microsoft decided to give up on Windows phone it's not a big loss, but with Windows 10 coming and the changes afoot I figure they're not giving up on it for a good while yet. Anyway I do like the Camera.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
When I went to purchase mine, I went back to the same Walmart and they still had the other three left, because they were still not on the hanger yet lol

My story:
Went to 3 WalMarts yesterday since I was coming back from the airport.
Hangers were out at 2 stores the clerks didn't try very hard to find out much.
Went a 3rd store no one around...couldn't find help so I left.

Tried 3 stores today...
One store tried a little bit and failed so I left.
Another larger store tried after I brought them the card...the clerks there started arguing with each other about shelf stock, bin stock blah, blah so I left.
I ended up going to Home Depot for a few items and moseyed over to WalMart next door for grins.
This store which is very close to us had 10 boxes in their anti-theft display.
The nice helpful lady got one out and said here ya go...$108.00 bucks later here I am.

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
My story:
Went to 3 WalMarts yesterday since I was coming back from the airport.
Hangers were out at 2 stores the clerks didn't try very hard to find out much.
Went a 3rd store no one around...couldn't find help so I left.

Tried 3 stores today...
One store tried a little bit and failed so I left.
Another larger store tried after I brought them the card...the clerks there started arguing with each other about shelf stock, bin stock blah, blah so I left.
I ended up going to Home Depot for a few items and moseyed over to WalMart next door for grins.
This store which is very close to us had 10 boxes in their anti-theft display.
The nice helpful lady got one out and said here ya go...$108.00 bucks later here I am.
It's kind of odd which ones have them and which ones don't. In my case, none of the usual suspects had them in stock, but a new Walmart that hadn't long been built did.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
It's kind of odd which ones have them and which ones don't. In my case, none of the usual suspects had them in stock, but a new Walmart that hadn't long been built did.

I agree...
Clueless here why things go the way they do.
I think all WalMarts have probably had these phones kicking around on a shelf somewhere for a few days.
Depends on who's working there and whether they care or not.

So glad I didn't pay a lot for this or have to wait for it with an on-line order.

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I agree...
Clueless here why things go the way they do.
I think all WalMarts have probably had these phones kicking around on a shelf somewhere for a few days.
Depends on who's working there and whether they care or not.

So glad I didn't pay a lot for this or have to wait for it with an on-line order.
To be honest the reason I have come back to the Windows Phone fold, is that I couldn't really find a decent Android Phone I liked in this price range and I wasn't about to spend several hundred dollars for one just to fix a few shortcomings. The LG Leon I was looking at, didn't even have Autofocus, when my older F3 does. This phone seems to fix all the faults I had with the 521, so we'll just see how it goes actually living with the 640 :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa