Will you ditch your 1520 for the next flagship?

raydwatts

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
I found I was asking myself this question when windows 10 was announced with the assumption that the 1520 would be replaced. But to be honest it was/is still a very high end phone with an amazing camera, screen and processor so won't need upgrading unnecessarily. However I did find it to be a bit big and bought a second hand 930 as it has the same specs but smaller. If I did buy another high end phone I'd probably stick to a maximum of 5 inches as that size works best for me and stay with Microsoft as I prefer the OS to the others two options.

Jas Holden

Feb 17, 2015
Visit site
Hi akthelonelyman *smiles*

You might consider a Windows tablet instead of that Ipad. I have had a pair of Dell Venue 8 Pro and a pair of ASUS ME400C tablets for more that a year and love them. When Win10 comes, I'll update them from Win8.1.

Don Geronimo

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
As much as I love my 1520, I'm chomping at the bit for a new flagship in the near future. However, unless they offer a 1520-sized phone that can support a pressure-sensitive stylus (it would make OneNote all sorts of awesome), or a 'normal' sized phone with the megapixel or tech of the 1520/1020, I might feel a little jilted. It doesn't help my desire for a new flagship that the past two 1520s I got all succumbed to the annoying touchscreen issues, and that I irrationally fault the hardware for not being able to take my lifestyle.

MrGoodSmith

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I will have to consider several factors in the next MS flagship before I decide if I should farewell my 1520. Micro SD is a must. I don't want to compromise on the RAM and phone storage either. I might settle for a less-than-20MP camera if other specs wow me, and CPU/chipset better be faster to handle WP10. I am hoping it's a 1080p screen, although I don't mind it below 6".

multo

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Just as how the other members say it, only if it will be really an upgrade. Better hardware here and there, etc. I normally change phones yearly but when I bought the 1520 and used it, it's already a year and 4 months for me and I'm still loving it. So it'll be hard to simply ditch unless it's really gonna be an upgrade.

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Yea I agree with 5.5-5.7" being the ideal phablet size (like Note 4) as 6" is a bit too big and I find that makes me more prone to drop it or it falls out of my pocket. Also since it has hit the ground so much I feel like the phone isn't super stable anymore (software wise) so I need a new one

Also it would be super cool if Microsoft put in some N-trig tech so my Surface pen can work with Lumia

Last edited:

d3ac0n

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
I recently sold my 1520 and went with a 640XL waiting for the next flagship.If it 'll have active digitizer support (Wacom/N-Trig), 6" at least and can be docked to use a external display, keyboard and mouse I will buy it. I not, I will see what the other ecosystems offer and go from there

Paul1266

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
I recently sold my 1520 and went with a 640XL waiting for the next flagship.If it 'll have active digitizer support (Wacom/N-Trig), 6" at least and can be docked to use a external display, keyboard and mouse I will buy it. I not, I will see what the other ecosystems offer and go from there

Why? What does the 640XL have over the 1520? I'm intrigued. I have owned or own all of the 20 series lumias plus the 930, 830 and 735 so I think I have a pretty good idea what each has to offer. The 1520 is top of the pile. I shall be keeping mine until the battery gives out (and its not showing any signs yet!)

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Head of Microsoft Mobiles division?
Nah. Not yet. Heck, if I was (even for 2 weeks) they'd be in a helluva better place now, short, and long term.
Nope
Or just pissed?
On my fifth, glorious, imported Peroni on this fine autumn evening. But not pissed.
Just a realist who hates to see people wait out for something that just ain't gonna happen. Why disappoint yourself? Just head out to the market and buy the best that's there.

d3ac0n

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
Why? What does the 640XL have over the 1520? I'm intrigued. I have owned or own all of the 20 series lumias plus the 930, 830 and 735 so I think I have a pretty good idea what each has to offer. The 1520 is top of the pile. I shall be keeping mine until the battery gives out (and its not showing any signs yet!)

It has nothing over the 1520. I just wanted a smaller device, with dual sim option. I till carry my Icon as a daily driver though

akthelonelyman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Hi akthelonelyman *smiles*

You might consider a Windows tablet instead of that Ipad. I have had a pair of Dell Venue 8 Pro and a pair of ASUS ME400C tablets for more that a year and love them. When Win10 comes, I'll update them from Win8.1.
I own an Acer w4-820(64gb)... Its a reasonably good tablet.. But lack of touch optimized apps is a draw back.. Yeah u get the legacy windows apps but using it on a 8 inch screen is not a great experience.Again even the office apps are not touch optimized except one note.
So i think since even microsoft is focusing more on iOS why waste time hoping for good stuff when its already available with better support....

jomarr

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Depends on the phone.

My 1520 is still a flagship to me. BUT if the flagship offers audio quality on par with HTC phones, I'm in. But then again if it doesn't have an SD card slot, it's a no-go for me. A card slot is important for me. I don't have much apps on my phone but I do have lots and lots of music and photos. I don't care about security either since I don't take private photos with my bae. Basically, you can go and browse my phone without finding something shocking unless you consider photos of cats disturbing, then it's all good.

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately no.

First, the moneyz. Those things cost man, and I ain't made of gold. I bought my L1520 a year ago, and the busted out another ~$200 for a screen replacement.

Second, I don't think they'll push out something truly revolutionary. All I expect is a newer processor and Windows 10.
If they however put out something that will trully blow me away, and combine EVERYTHING that I don't like on the 1520, then I may consider it.

And third, I don't feel like changing phones that fast. I barely got used to this baby, hold on. Also it was a flagship, it can survive for the next 3 years I guarantee!
It will run Windows 10 like a charm, and the next version also. Untill it gets rekt by the time (or something else), I'm holding on to it.

I'll probably buy the ~2017 flagship. But who knows what may happen meanwhile.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb