Will you ditch your 1520 for the next flagship?

andraeseus

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I just don't see how the flagship can/will top the 1520. especially since it will be MS hardware which imo is not so great. the surface pro 2 is more stable than the surface pro 3 despite it having better specs (the sp3 that is) it sounds like a jet engine more often than not and is buggy. SP2 is not. I have no clue how a MS hw device will perform and not sure I want to find out. I will let the beta testers give it a spin first and then see. I do not trust Microsoft 1st 2nd, and 4th shots at anything.3rd shot seems to be the charm for them. my 1520 is undeniably the BEST phone I have ever used. I don't see MS topping it. I see them mocking it and making huge sacrifices in functionality to appease zombies who won't appreciate it anyway.

andraeseus

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately no.

First, the moneyz. Those things cost man, and I ain't made of gold. I bought my L1520 a year ago, and the busted out another ~$200 for a screen replacement.

Second, I don't think they'll push out something truly revolutionary. All I expect is a newer processor and Windows 10.
If they however put out something that will trully blow me away, and combine EVERYTHING that I don't like on the 1520, then I may consider it.

And third, I don't feel like changing phones that fast. I barely got used to this baby, hold on. Also it was a flagship, it can survive for the next 3 years I guarantee!
It will run Windows 10 like a charm, and the next version also. Untill it gets rekt by the time (or something else), I'm holding on to it.

I'll probably buy the ~2017 flagship. But who knows what may happen meanwhile.

where'd you get your screen replaced at Ma Rio? also, the new one.. is it just as good as the old one?

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
where'd you get your screen replaced at Ma Rio? also, the new one.. is it just as good as the old one?

A local repair-shop. The guy said the display is original, though I've heard from other repair guys that it's not the case. A lot of spare parts are labeled as original and they're actually not. But the screen works pretty well. I haven't experienced any bugs (except one minor thing which I'm not sure it's because of the new screen).

HOWEVER, it has a little smudge in the top right corner (not so noticeable, and it also doesn't cover any sensors, so it's nothing to worry about). Also, IDK if it's related to the new screen or something other (the guy who repaired it for me told that it's probably because the phone was off a long time, and who knows what other part got damaged from the fall), but my Windows key doesn't work right. Most of the times it acts as if I pressed the back button. Not a huge problem, but it can be frustrating.

All in all, it will never be the same as when it was new. You can only expect flawless work from a new device. Everything else is just making a Frankenstein, and it will fail eventually.

threewulfmoon

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
I really like my 1520. I bought mine used a few months ago and it is a really nice phone. However, I'm interested to see just what Microsoft introduces as the next flagship. I'd like to see a 5.7 inch screen with N-Trig digitizer (so it will use the Surface Pen), a camera that is at least as good as the 1520, a top-shelf processor, and expandable storage. Unlocked at $649. I'd say at least a couple of those is possible. The digitizer support would probably pull me away from the 1520, but if it didn't have it, I might stay put a while longer.

ScrubbyXD

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
From what has been turning up this last month there is an unknown windows 10 phone out there at 5.7 inches but thats all we know.

Ma Rio is the phone an AT&T branded one? If so did this "original" screen have the at&t logo on it? Other than that there is no quick easy way to tell if the screen was OEM.

Jcmg62

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
I was an early 1520 adopter and have had mine since December 2013, so I'm due an upgrade at the end of the year.

That said, I agree with most of the comments here; the 1520 is an awesome phone and is as relevant today as it was 18 months ago. In fact, I still consider it a flagship device in many respects. In hardware terms, I think it's still the top performer in the Lumia range.

The fact that it'll be fully upgradeable to W10 means that theoretically it'll be a rebirth of a still totally relevant high end device.

So what would make me change/upgrade.......one incredibly annoying fault with the 1520 is the swipe/touch gesture issue. This is something that still annoys the hell out of me. In nearly 18 months of owning the device I still get totally bugged out by it. I've read a thousand articles and forums on the subject and the fact is its virtually unfixable as its a hardware design flaw.

The swipe/touch mess is the only fault I've ever come across in an otherwise brilliant phone, but it is annoying enough to make me want to upgrade to the next flagship

Muhammad Farouk

Apr 26, 2015
Visit site
Sorry ... just passing through :)

Anyway, Finally I can say that I'm truly ready to ditch my 1520 forever and any related device past or coming.. even after trying Win10..
I've been always supportive and patient.. but not anymore.
So I think I will put it to sleep and store it somewhere and keep it like this for a year and then maybe I'd give it a try -before throwing it away- with the new updates that most likely would still be faulty and just stupid.

What a relief :) ..feels good to never have to search for an answer again that's just not there.

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
What's killing me is that att no longer has 1520 . My screen is cracked and ready for upgrade and none in site. Its not att fault they want to sell me a new phone but one I'd like .

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Just read about rumored next flagship(s) ... don't know how true.

Lumia Cityman 5.7" screen, QHD (I believe), 3GB RAM, 32GB onboard storage w micro SD card slot , Qualcomm octa-core processor
Lumia Talkman - same, except 5.2" screen, six core Qualcomm processor

these are internal codenames, don't know how well received they'd be.
The RAM boost is probably needed for Continuum, along w a different processor architecture.
We'll see ...

As far as ditching my Lumia 1520, these devices are probably 6 months (or more) out. If they bring something revolutionary to the table, maybe, but cost will be an issue.

Last edited:

threewulfmoon

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
I like my 1520, but as time goes along, I find that I am getting more and more phantom taps/swipes than before. It is so bad that sometimes I can't even unlock my phone and enter the 4 digit PIN without hitting the lock button again. My 1520 runs like a champ, but there are some design issues that make a new flagship more attractive. I've even thought about getting a 640XL as a holdover, but it is looking like the U.S. versions may be $299. I think I'll keep using the 1520 for a few more months until the new flagships are announced or until the touch issues become too much to bear and then I'll assess my options accordingly.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Will I ditch my 1520 for the next flagship? In as heart beat... And my band will be able to verify it... As long as there is a flagship available on my carrier and is closer to a 5" screen size.

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Yea that 5.7" Lumia 940 XL is very tempting. My phone is somewhat unstable and heavily damaged due to multiple bad drops, and the phantom tap issues on the PIN screen sucks. Plus, 6" is too much for a phone. 5.7" should be ideal

threewulfmoon

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
I figured Microsoft would have announced something on the hardware front at Build. I watched a bit of the Day 1 keynote and when they said that Continuum on phones would require new hardware, I thought that would be a great moment to drop a new flagship. Nothing. I think Microsoft is doing great things, but it seems that phones are still secondary.

I love the "one experience, one ecosystem" philosophy, but if Microsoft doesn't offer new hardware that appeals to the users of other platforms, they are going to face a huge challenge. Many people use their phones as productivity tools, and Microsoft is strongly going after them. Unfortunately, more people see their phones as status symbols, and that's the audience Microsoft is failing to reach. A top spec phone with an appealing design, at a fair price is what the WP family needs. Productivity made beautiful, if you will...

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I would definitely choose the new 5.7 over a new 1520 for the replaceable battery and back covers alone but not worth the hassle of selling a 1520 just to buy the new phone.

But I have no interest in replacing my 1520.3 based on the leaked specs for a new 5.7". In fact I consider having a higher resolution screen a bad thing since it adds to the phone's workload. But if the other upgrades more than compensates, I can live with it.

But I might buy one based on new capabilities that haven't been confirmed for that phone, Continuum, for example.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
If it's 5"-5.5", IPS, with glance, without phantom tap issues, has uSD, Qi charging, equal or better camera performance, a hardware camera button, unlocked, and compatible with AT&T LTE, count me in! Oh, and a little lighter and under $400 would be nice too.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers