Will you ditch your 1520 for the next flagship?

tboy2000

May 29, 2012
Visit site
So are you very happy with your phone that no matter what you wont upgrade/downgrade to the new flagship in the Summer?

I think I would but only if the flagship has a 5.7" FHD screen, micro SD card, and does not have a virtual nav bar. I hate that.

Maaz Mansori

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
I doubt the new flagship will be out in the summer. We might see it in November or so. I love my 1520 but I'm open to a new phone. I would prefer around 5.5" for me. The 6" is just slightly too large for me to comfortably hold with one hand. I doubt the flagship will have the virtual keys; those are meant for cheap phones to lower the cost. As for MicroSD, I would prefer one but would not require it if the phone had adequate internal memory (preferably at least 64 GB).

ALpHa.Q.RoUgH

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm not ready to part with my 1520. People still ask me about my phone all the time. Unless something revolutionary comes out like: (28MP camera, 32GB with microsd slot & 5MP front cam) then I'm going to stay put. I'm not going to upgrade just because of updated snapdragon and Windows 10. I have Windows 10 (albeit a TP) and I'm not liking it so far, plus my 1520 is supposed to get 10 anyways.

Zig87

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
Umm, there are many possibilities, however for any 1520 owner like myself who's gotten this phone at its launch, and paid premium, there has to be a massive improvement in every aspect to attract me to a newer replacement, and as far as I can see Microsoft have this poker face strategy with the future of Windows phone's upcoming flagship phones and even the Windows 10 for phones (ridiculous naming I might add) which says either they have a very well drawn plan and this is a strategy of say less (or nothing) and do more (not much doing in the higher end for sometime though) OR they have no clue on what to do, and tracing their older steps and Nokia's, I'm not expecting a device that can replace the 1520, due to the their whole "not using the latest hardware in the market for their phones, but still our phones are fast" which is weird but seems to be working.

Anyway I'd rather be here than be on or with the Apple or Android wagon, and I still have faith in the Windows phone future and Microsoft's strategies.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Unless it has some very compelling features that 1520 lacks and can't get... I don't really see myself jumping on the 1st gen Msft Flagship.

Maybe 2016???

mikepalma

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
Not sure. I am very disappointed in.W10 TP. Of course its early but I don't like some of the design changes and departure from.Metro styles. I will be happy W my awesome 1520 running 8.1 for long time. Just my opinion so don't hate me

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
As someone who loathes carrier locked devices and the unlikelihood that we will see another Unicorn flagship like the 1520.3, coupled with the full on retreat from originality that is Windows 10 I have no desire to touch anything that is likely to be released for the foreseeable future.

Edit: after reading this its a resounding heck no!

http://wmpoweruser.com/ex-microsoft...e-to-the-hamburger-menu-in-windows-10-mobile/

Last edited:

Jas Holden

Feb 17, 2015
Visit site
I'm so happy with my Battleship 1520 that I don't think I'll change soon.

What I really hope for is that Windows 10 will get new PC/tablet buyers to take a hard look at having a Windows 10 Mobile phone that matches.

I suspect that as businesses upgrade from XP, Vista, 7 and 8/8.1; there will be more interest in having a Windows phone for employees.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
It would take some major hardware innovation. Luckily, I'm pretty satisfied with all the major categories.

Screen? 1080p still looks really good.
Size? This might be the last 6 inch WP we get for a while.
Processor? 4k recording, great camera, smooth game play and overall good performance.
Speakers? So-so but I don't really expect much from phone speakers.
MicroSD? I have a 64GB card and a long way to go before I fill it up.
Screen sharing/streaming? I don't screen share but I use Tubecast and it works flawlessly.
Touchscreen problems? It's been working fine for some time now. If it ain't broke... lol.

So what's left? What features can be classified as a need? Things like a fingerprint scanner sounds awesome, or maybe a retina scanner, but I'm also happy living without those things. I would appreciate an upgrade to all the features I mentioned above but what I have now works extremely well. Maybe Microsoft has some sort of jaw dropping innovative feature up its sleeve. Maybe. But from what I've seen from other manufacturers there's nothing exciting on the hardware end. I think I'll live if my screen doesn't bend or the glass edge isn't curved.

So likely I'm going to stay with my 1520 until the wheels fall off. Which in smartphone terms means I either drop it, wash it, burn it or the battery gives out. :grin:

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Things like a fingerprint scanner sounds awesome, or maybe a retina scanner, but I'm also happy living without those things
It seems they'll be trying iris scanning rather than finger or retina. But even if that makes it into a handset anytime soon, a large part of me will be thinking "never ever 1st gen ever".

Tom Snyder

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
I think we will be holding on to the 1520 for at the minimum of a year for the next flagship like the 1520, and I really think it's the end of the line for WP flagships like the 1020/1520. Microsoft is focused on a global market and most in the world could never afford something like a N1520.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
That's an incorrect assumption. Flagships are very much a part of Microsoft's product range.

Microsoft vision of flagship devices is that they are significantly better than the rest of the range and have a significantly longer life. This philosophy is why the 1520 still continues to be a flagship device so long after it was launched.

Don't be misled by people assuming that longevity is the same as obsolescence.

akthelonelyman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
good question...for me its not just the hardware.im watching the software part too.im hopeful 1520 will age well and after using a 1520 my next phone should be a real flagship or else it will feel like a big downgrade.

my plan is wait and see how w10 phone evolves..whether Microsoft considers it a secondary hobby or will they focus on it unlike the wp 8.1 situation..at least whether microsoft apps are at par with competing platforms ...
if it is the same situation as with wp8.1 where those who use wp are considered second class citizens even by microsoft then no thanks. my next phone will be an android flagship or iPhone.
or i might decide to hold on to my 1520 for a bit more and get an iPad instead for filling the gaps.

taphius

Mar 8, 2014
Visit site
I just want a 5.5inch/5.7inch version of the 1520, maybe with on screen buttons to get the body smaller.

IR blaster/finger print reader would be nice but are not vital, everything else on the phone still matches up with every other phone on the market.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
My answer is probably not. One thing about Windows Phones for me is they hold up very well and they work. I really enjoy my 1520 especially for news apps like DailyAha in landscape mode. I will get a flagship but my backup will be my 1520.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss