Windows Phone 8.1 Update 2 on Nokia Lumia 920

Status
Not open for further replies.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
WARNING: These instructions no longer work. Do not use.
-xandros9

This topic covers how I finally managed to get Windows Phone 8.1 Update 2 on my Lumia 920

Word of caution: Please try this only if you are comfortable with flashing ROMs using Nokia Product Support Tool for Store 5.0 in any unlikely event. This has been tested on the Rogers ROM but might actually work for other variants too. Also I would suggest trying this only on a backup device to avoid not having a usable primary phone.
Okay done with the warnings...now with the fun part...

Instructions:
1) Perform a dead flash (very safe) to stock Rogers ROM (product code listing here) using Nokia Product Support Tool for Store 5.0
2) Update to Denim via OTA (Rogers doesn't have the Denim ROM listed on its servers yet. Depending on your ROM/variant this step might be irrelevant). Perform a hard-reset using hardware keys combination (I always prefer this)
3) Rush through the initial setup but let the system apps update (do not skip). Once all updates are done (including other pre-installed apps), restart phone
4) Download Windows Insider, select Fast Ring and check for updates. You will see after a few minutes an update starts downloading
5) Once the update is downloaded, click on show details to make sure the is indeed Update 2 (OS version 8.10.15116.125) and not Windows 10 TP
6) Install (if Update 2) or hard reset to avoid installing Windows 10. For the Rogers variant, it will prompt for Update 2****
7) Let the update install, reboot, hard reset (using hardware key combination), and go through the setup again. Make sure you update all system apps before using your phone again!

Observations:
1) The update only showed up after a hard reset
2) The update only started showing after the Denim firmware was installed
3) The update did not show on OS v14219 via PfD (minus Denim), Windows Insider took me directly to Windows 10 TP
4) I updated the phone today (04/19/2015) so Microsoft hasn't patched the Update 2 availability yet (or they re-enabled it I guess)
5) **** This works on the Rogers ROM, I am not sure about other variants (that's why this thread, I will update once I have reports of other variants)
6) The phone does seem faster™, it could be due to Denim. Battery life is considerably better than Cyan + OS v14219
7) No new Lumia 920 OS specific features detected (yet)

Do's:
1) Read around if you need instructions for flashing ROMs. There are a ton of articles and videos with step by step guides
2) This is a minor update but (probably) the last update before Windows 10 goes RTM. For some people this might be the reason to update
3) Do ask questions, there would be users willing to help. I will also keep updating this post if I find anything useful

Don't:
1) Ask me for flashing instructions. The process is rather simple, just needs a little bit of reading, a working PC w/ a usable USB port, a decent internet connection and most importantly, patience
2) I won't be taking responsibility if you accidentally update to Windows 10 and don't know how to downgrade (safely)
3) Ask me where one can download the tools (refer to point 1)

Happy flashing!

wp_ss_20150419_0006.pngwp_ss_20150419_0002.pngwp_ss_20150419_0003.pngwp_ss_20150419_0004.pngwp_ss_20150419_0005.pngwp_ss_20150419_0006.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Michal Poterek

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the info! I had windows insider app and had this update before, it was nice. In the meantime I had to wipe my phone (win10 got bootloop) and lost all updates. Now I have win 8.1 update1 and was wondering WHY OH WHY I CAN'T GET THE UPDATE 2?!!?!?!?!?! WHERE THE HELL IS IT?!?!?!?! Now I know, it was part of Windows Insider.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the info! I had windows insider app and had this update before, it was nice. In the meantime I had to wipe my phone (win10 got bootloop) and lost all updates. Now I have win 8.1 update1 and was wondering WHY OH WHY I CAN'T GET THE UPDATE 2?!!?!?!?!?! WHERE THE HELL IS IT?!?!?!?! Now I know, it was part of Windows Insider.

It is still part of Windows Insider since I was able to install it again on my 830 running Denim. This is actually dependent on the Denim firmware and not necessarily the Update 1 OS update

Peter Kapral

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Hi all, I would like to know if it still possible to install WP 8.1 update 2 via insider on lumia 920.
Or insider offers update direct to wp 10 tp? thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05