[Guide] How to update to 8.1.2.

grozaman

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Manual is simple, I think. But! If you really newbie - don't try!
All actions are performed at your own risk.

Lumia Users! Yes, I confirm, that you can use that manual too, but your phone must have SD card slot (and actually SD card, of course) to edit the registry! Without - you cannot. Sorry. Don't use my method, if you model already have 8.10.14226 or 8.10.14234. Simply install Windows Insider and get your Update 2.

All actions I performed under "sterile conditions" (I flashed my phone CMJ1 with ATO CSC and downloaded all latest updates with new firmware).

I recommend you at first do this*:
1. Flash CMJ1 with ATO CSC.
2. Install all latest updates (14157 with 2424.15.3.2 f/w).

November Update 2015:
Now you can flash directly DOC2 with ATO CSC.

* - If you updated the you phone to 14219 using Windows Insider - it's necessary!
Windows Insider after activating makes permanent changes to the system. So only hard reset or flash will help you. If you are not sure whether you can flash you phone - try at first simple hard reset.

Now the core:
  1. Get access to edit the registry.
  2. Go to HKLM\SYSTEM\Platform\DeviceTargetingInfo and edit those keys
    "PhoneManufacturer"="HIGHSCREEN"
    "PhoneManufacturerModelName"="WinWin"
    "PhoneMobileOperatorName"="000-88"
    Yes, it not Lumia, it's small OEM from CIS (Russia, Ukraine etc.)

This is model gets 15137 (sic!) without any PfD or Windows Insider programs!

Now it's redundant and obsolete:
This is model gets 14226 (sic!) without any PfD or Windows Insider programs. I experimentally found that the update to the 8.1.2 gets only 14226 and 14234!
So, after editing we go to the settings and get 14226.
3. Install Windows Insider and choose Fast Ring, it's okay if there is no any other rings.
4. Install 8.1.2!
5. Now do hard reset to delete Windows Insider.

Fantastically smoothy update, that will add stability to you phone and some cool stuff.

Additional information:

If you don't know how to:
1. Flash CMJ1 with ATO CSC.
Here you can read how.
1. Get access to edit the registry.
Here small guide how to edit the registry.
Preparation:
  • Download and Install SDK 8.1 Lite.
  • Download two files CustomWPSystem_0500.xap and CustomPFD_0003.xap
    (You can download this from my big ATIV S archive).
The core:
  1. Put CustomPFD_0003.xap file at SD/Documents.
  2. Register you device using Windows Phone Developer Registration 8.1.
  3. Using the second app - Windows Phone Application Deployment 8.1 install CustomWPSystem_0500.xap at phone (it's important!).
  4. Install Preview for Developer from store on SD-card (!).
  5. Open CustomWPSystem app, click on red line ("SD Card permissions"), click on SD-card and click OK.
  6. Click "Select the XAP" and choose CustomPFD_0003.xap from SD Card.
  7. Finally click "Apply XAP".
  8. Now you can edit the register!
IMPORTANT! Pin Preview for Developer tile on the start screen.

Last edited:

grozaman

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
I'll be glad if you will correct my grammatical mistakes.
My native language is Russian.

Also I can add that at least 15 people already update to 8.1.2 using my method.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Interesting. I do have to point out most threads on this are begging users of the ATIV series to NOT update due to multiple problems ranging from not getting calls correctly to phones completely bricking and not coming out of it afterwards.

I strongly urge all ATIV users to do their homework first. I once heard an IT pro tell an audience:

"If you have to ask if you really need an update or need to install a preview, than you probably are not the person who should be doing it."

grozaman

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Yes, it's really dangerous if you don't understand that you do. The most dengerous part - flash. Other steps is pretty safe.

Also this is guide can help Lumia owners with SD card, that don't get Update 2.

Last edited:

SymmetryPlus

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site
Thanks so much for the guide -- it's very helpful. I hadn't realized the Windows Insider App made permanent changes, even after you uninstall it. If I stay on WP8.1.1, do these changes prevent your ATIV S from being offered the new 2424.15.3.2 firmware unless you hard reset it first?

grozaman

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Theoretically possible to find keys in registry, that Windows Insider changes, but most likely CustomPFD haven't enough privileges to edit this.

If you do simple hard reset, all registry tree will reset, so you won't need to flash you phone.

Boris NevermorE

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Interesting. I do have to point out most threads on this are begging users of the ATIV series to NOT update due to multiple problems ranging from not getting calls correctly to phones completely bricking and not coming out of it afterwards.

I strongly urge all ATIV users to do their homework first. I once heard an IT pro tell an audience:

"If you have to ask if you really need an update or need to install a preview, than you probably are not the person who should be doing it."

Complitely agree with you, I always say to anyone "If you don't know how to do it, then probably you shouldn't". I repeat that numerous times in the Latest Samsung ATIV S firmware updates thread. Some people understand that wrong and end up with bricked phones. :)

gahbmwm5

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Thank you kindly grozaman, have sent you another PM...lol! I will stay in WP 8.1 Update on my beloved Lumia 920...But can not wait for future WP 10 mobile flagships to come out...Contract is up @AT&T...and the waiting game is killing me! Have utilized Windows mobile phones since the Samsung Blacjacks with Windows mobile 6, and use to flash to via ROMS via xda forums..was fun but then got hooked on WP7 -Samsung Focus, then 3 various Luminas...900, 920, 1520, love them but the new Samsung Galaxy 6 Edge is quite nice! Reading now that MS may announce @Build2015 tomorrow that Windows Mobile 10 devices will be able to run Android apps.....mixed feelings on this, so I have a decision to make in the near future..lol

assyriska

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
Well it won't work for me. I flashed my Ativ S with the GT-I8750_XXCMJ1_R_signed Firmware ( form your package) and also the GT-I8750_OXACMJ1_R_SIGNED.csc. After updating to the latest official Firmware( 14157 with 2424.15.3.2 f/w), I followed your steps exactly, but it just updated to 14219.

Is it possible that your methode is outdated?

Edit: After reflashing it worked. :wink:

Last edited:

dmc_wp

May 10, 2015
Visit site
The SMD flashtool seems to just hang for me - I've tried versions 3.2, 3.33, 3.47 and 3.54.

The phone is running:
OS 8.10.14157.200
FW 2424.15.3.2

Any suggestions? It hangs as soon as I plug in the phone in download mode. :angry:

grozaman

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
UPD.

Lumia Users! Yes, I confirm, that you can use that manual too, but your phone must have SD card slot (and actually SD card, of course) to edit the registry! Without - you cannot. Sorry. Don't use my method, if you model already have 8.10.14226 or 8.10.14234. Simply install Windows Insider and get your Update 2.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo