Lumia 640 XL available on Expansys

MassDeduction

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
I was excited to see the Lumia 640 XL appear on Expansys.ca! I imagine it's on Expansys' other sites as well. It was only marginally more expensive than the Lumia 640 they're selling too! That excitement faded quickly, however.

The Lumia 640 that Expansys is selling is the "best" one. It's dual-SIM, LTE, and supports almost every frequency under the sun (including every single frequency in use in the Americas, including T-Mobile's band 12, and even Sasktel's super-rare band 38!).

The Lumia 640 XL they're selling appears to be a single-SIM variant that doesn't support a single LTE frequency in use in North America. It doesn't even support band 7, the one global frequency (it works in Asia, Europe, Africa, South America, Central America, and Canada... pretty much everywhere BUT the U.S., sadly, thanks to Sprint). Aargh! Most European/Asian phones support band 7, why wouldn't this one?!

I'd prefer the XL, but I've ordered the non-XL version because I'd rather not wait.

alisaad619

May 8, 2014
Visit site
thanks for sharing this info
I really want the 640 XL dual sim LTE (we didn't get that in my country) , I'm waiting for a store to offer them in ebay

cashkennedy

May 6, 2011
Visit site
I figured you were crazy for thinking a single lumia 640 could support all 11 lte bands listed on the expansys website, but apparently the iphone 6 can support 16-20 bands in each phone... So i'm curious to see if anyone can confirm this device actually supports all the frequencies listed within 1 phone.

MassDeduction

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
I figured you were crazy for thinking a single lumia 640 could support all 11 lte bands listed on the expansys website, but apparently the iphone 6 can support 16-20 bands in each phone... So i'm curious to see if anyone can confirm this device actually supports all the frequencies listed within 1 phone.

Microsoft's website says it supports 13 bands actually: Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE Dual SIM Specifications - Microsoft - Global Why would I question that when they're right on every other Lumia? :)

cashkennedy

May 6, 2011
Visit site
There can be more then one model number (rm-1113) per model name (lumia 640 lte dual sim) that support bands for different areas. And to not confuse consumers they usually only make one product page that lists all possible bands. It used to be very battery and cost prohibitive to have more then 5 bands in a phone, but apparently qualcomm figured it all out with their new rf360 chip, which microsoft is probably using in some models to avoid having 3-4 different skus/model numbers for the same model name.

There are 11 fdd-lte bands, and 2 td-lte bands so you're right that would be 13 total, td-lte band 38 overlaps the same frequencies as fdd-lte 7, so they might share the same power amp / filters, and make this more like 12 bands from one chip, but clearly qualcomm and apple can support that just fine for the last 6 months.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos