Lumia 1520 mysteries

Maccabeus

Nov 26, 2014
Visit site
After switching to WP last fall with a new L830, I've enjoyed the platform well enough that I started eyeing the 1520 as a way to limit devices. Phablet and laptop seemed more appealing than jumping between phone, tablet, and PC. Picked one up over the weekend.

Overall, I'm enjoying it and love the screen size and battery life!

I'm still adjusting to the size when in my pocket, but doesn't seem too bad.

Here are the negatives experienced so far:
1. Bluetooth in the car stinks. My wife's iPhone plays music flawlessly. My L830 skips a few notes about once per song. This 1520 is skipping 2-3 times per song. Not a pleasurable listening experience!
2. Some apps perform differently on this device (for the worse, on the few I've noticed a difference). Windows Central, for example, doesn't refresh each time I open it. Sometimes it does, other times not --even after dragging the screen down to manually refresh. The little refresh arrow doesn't rotate as it should. It sometimes takes 5-6 tries. The app on my 830 never behaves that way.
Also, Calendar for Business loaded perfectly fine on the 830 every time it is opened. On the 1520 it doesn't sync, leaving me looking at a bunch of empty squares. About 1 out of 7 times the data will finally load after a minute or three. Chronos+ works perfectly on both phones without a moment's delay.
3. As others have mentioned elsewhere, the mega-bright control buttons at the bottom are very annoying late at light and light up the dark room. Why don't they auto adjust with the screen? That's just plain dumb.

I don't think I'll go back to the 830 for regular use, but the 1520 quirks are frustrating.

Anybody else dealing with these?

Bagums

May 10, 2014
Visit site
With regards to the skipping over bluetooth I too recently got a lumia 1520 about 2 weeks ago and have been using it in my car for media and haven't yet dealt with any skips, I am using a bluetooth adapter plugged into my aux connector though so perhaps it's an issue with built in bluetooth if you have that or have you noticed if the network signal is weaker on the 1520 compared to the other devices?

I've also noticed a few apps are sporadic with auto updating when I open them, I've also noticed that sometimes when I try to update it by pulling down it won't refresh immediately. So seems like this must be a glitch with the phone or os.

heli0m

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
My 1520 skips and sometimes full on doesn't load them on my soundriving app but I realized that's because I am in a dumb signal area. Maybe it happens when you have poor internet signal ):

Maccabeus

Nov 26, 2014
Visit site
Thanks, all, for your feedback. I'll have to monitor the bluetooth issue to see about signal strength or the value in using an adapter over the built-in bluetooth (assuming one can override the other...?...). It isn't usually a big deal as my car uses ancient disc changing technology only and, generally, I still do, too. Only my wife's car has bluetooth which I use when driving the kids around in her vehicle. I may just have to deal with it. =(

I don't seem to be dealing with phantom touches, but the opinion that says they come from physically stressing the phone worries me, since the car mount I have (Kenu Airframe +) does require me to forcibly jam my cased phone into the holder. Am I setting myself up for screen problems down the road? Hmmm...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb