Lumia 930 battery life is horrible

vladtdr

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
So i switched from a lg g3 that was said to have a horrible battery life. But my 930 can't even hold up a day. I have everything turned off. Cortana, location, bluetooth, wifi, double tap to wake etc. Also my phone gets really hot in the bottom part when doing simple things like browsing intenet or reading forums.I did 2 hard resets and the problem is still there. Is there something i can do? I can' t replace the phone or anything in my country it's not possible.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

kanrakuuuu

Apr 1, 2015
Visit site
But my 930 can't even hold up a day. I have everything turned off.

I have everything turned on and easily, easily, easily get a day's use with extensive usage of the phone, or 2-3 days if I don't use it much and let it idle. The 930 battery is perfectly fine, although I have had problems in the past, but it was not with the phone, but with rogue apps. Baconit was particularly problematic. Even with background usage for it turned off, I found the tile was causing the battery to drop at nearly 10% an hour, but removing the tile fixed the problem.

Only trial and error can discover which app is causing the problem (don't rely on the Battery stats app, which is unfortunately more-or-less useless for the information) but rest assured there's no problem with your phone. You can have everything turned on. Good luck!

SPS828

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
I have bad battery life on my 930 but what's weird is that the battery is fairly large but it lasts shorter than my previous iPhone 6 which had a much smaller battery.

dnbrealm

Oct 5, 2014
Visit site
I've had not so great battery life recently the apps I run in the background are Whatsapp.

I found turning off battery saver helps extend the battery.

Typical my battery gets to about 40% with average use within 4 hours or so.

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I have everything turned on and easily, easily, easily get a day's use with extensive usage of the phone, or 2-3 days if I don't use it much and let it idle.
Same here... half the reason I bought a Lumia 930 is gaming, so poor battery life simply wouldn't fly. Luckily, I never get any problem out of my 930's battery! I'd give an estimate similar to your 1 day with extensive usage and 2-3 during the average string of busy work days in which I just check email, browse, play a quick game and get updated on my social networks.

... and it's refreshing because I used to own a Lumia Icon that would overheat until the battery was dead (which happened over a course of about 3-4hrs).

I do have some tips that might help you out though. After ditching that Lumia Icon for a Lumia 1520, I found that I was still getting major overheating drain and actually found a number of causes that I compiled into another thread on Windows Central. Gimme a sec and I'll hunt it down.

EDIT: Found it! http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...ing-delayed-power-button-wakes-try-these.html

Hope something there helps you out. If I'd have looked into it that deeply before selling my Lumia Icon, it may have left much less of a bad taste in my mouth. Now this is just stuff I do with each and every Windows Phone I get.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Anandtech has excellent battery life tests, and they say the battery life is horrible.

View attachment 103809

battest.jpg

This is GSMArena's assessment, which seems to fall in line with Anandtech's result there.
(Endurance rating is how long the phone will last given one hour of web browsing, video and calls daily - its near the iPhone 4s, HTC One, Blackberry Z10 actually by that metric, although its not representative of all usage patterns)

However, its worth noting its more mediocre than horrible. It's in near the results of the 920.

I'd check this table out, its quite interesting:
Battery life tests - GSMArena.com

I suspect something is wrong with OP's phone, and that he's simply had bad luck.

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Agree with xandros re: Battery life mediocre rather than horrible. I have location, double tap to wake and "hey Cortana" enabled as well as several background tasks. I charge once a day and have about 20-30% left at that time. No gaming or social media, though. When you have to turn all of the "good stuff" off to make it though the day then something's wrong. . Do I wish it had a beastly battery life? Sure. It's a bit underpowered but gets me through the day so I'm satisfied. Good luck.

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
So i switched from a lg g3 that was said to have a horrible battery life. But my 930 can't even hold up a day. I have everything turned off. Cortana, location, bluetooth, wifi, double tap to wake etc. Also my phone gets really hot in the bottom part when doing simple things like browsing intenet or reading forums.I did 2 hard resets and the problem is still there. Is there something i can do? I can' t replace the phone or anything in my country it's not possible.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

I no longer compare the battery life of the 930 with my currently daily driver because it's hard to beat the battery life of the phone I'm using now.

However, from the short time I used my 930 as a daily driver, coming from a 920, yes, battery life was appalling. And I also had overheating issues and a plethora of other problems (the phone was replaced thrice). The problem with the 930 is that it has a way too big power-hungry screen (1080p 5" AMOLED) to a miserable 2420mAh.

I currently only use the 930 to play Xbox games and even those I can't play for long because the battery drains pretty quickly when compared to the 920 or 1020 before it.

Squachy

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
The battery life is...mediocre at best.
I usually get around 10-12hrs (medium usage, but no games)
I think its terrible for the type of phone it is (flagship level, high end features at the time). But its enough time away from a charger for me.
just carry an external battery pack around. That isn't any different than carrying an extra battery around (for phones with removable batteries)

vladtdr

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
I know the battery was not 2400mah. But reviews online said it was good. And i thought that windows phone is optimised...u know like iphones. I remember reading that windows htc m8 had double the battery life of the android one...

vladtdr

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
I think the problem is the fact that windowsphone cannot stop wifi when the screen is off, or you cant use the location with gps turned off, and let apps get location from wifi like u can in android

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Couldn't help but notice that Anandtech hasn't assessed it since Sept. 2014, therefore making it a misrepresentation of how things are with Denim and all the other major updates... also couldn't help but notice that when Anandtech did something more comprehensive than a browser test it's battery life performed well.

My battery seems quiet a bit better after I made it use 3G instead of 4G

How exactly does one do that? My battery life on the 930 I'm using isn't particularly bad now, but since I'm using this on AT&T US (where I can only get 3G HSPA+ anyway) I wouldn't mind turning that off.

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720