Some advice, moving from Galaxy Note 2

Zakaria Desai

May 3, 2015
Visit site
Hey all,

Thanks for all the valuable info on these forums. I've been going through it for a couple hours now, and my minds been mostly put to rest.

I am due for an upgrade, though my Note2 still performs admirably. But I crave for a new experience.. And the iPhone just does not interest me.

In South Africa at the moment, I have access to the 930 & 1520. Coming from a Note, I wouldn't really mind the bigger 1520.

I've been trying to figure out when the next handset from Microsoft is due, and so far hitting a brick wall.

My question is, between the 930 and 1520... Obviously it's very subjective... But based on longevity, which would be a better option?

I'm guessing the 930 is a newer handset? So logically it would be the one. Is there anything else in the windows scene that I can consider? I really like what Microsoft has been doing recently and they seem to have their strategy coming together, especially with the app ecosystem portability that was recently announced.

Just hesitant of acting too quick and getting an outdated handset.

Thank you
Zak

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Hi Zak, welcome to Windows Central.

You have a good question but also a difficult one to answer but I will try.
The hardware spec for the 930 and 1520 are identical (same chipset), the 930 is newer but that does not mean the 930 is "better".
There are however some differences.
The 1520 has glance and you can use a SD card and both of these features are missing in the 930.
Furthermore the battery of the 1520 is significantly larger.(better battery live)

So if the bigger size is no problem the 1520 has above advantages.

About a new flagships we all walk against a wall but with the windows 10 release there should be new flagships but this still could take more than half a year.
The advantage of buying the 930 or 1520, now, is that the price is dropped considerable since the release.
If you however want to get the windows "experience" (check UI, OS etc) you could also buy a low end phone to "play" around before you spend more for a high end phone.

Zakaria Desai

May 3, 2015
Visit site
Thank you Harrie!

Microsoft should be paying you guys royalty or something. After reading through most of the owners' glowing reviews, I went and got me a Lumia 930 yesterday. Whoah was a bit of a learning curve, I've used Android for the past 5 years or so.

But today, just lovin it! It's smooth, fresh and made using my mobile fun again. I didn't realise just how bored I'd grown with android.

Initially ate into about 200 mb of my data credits and ran hot as others have experienced. And I even noticed a couple of flicks after updating to Denim. But after spending some time tinkering with update and data policies, and cleaning out the start screen, working like a beaut now!

Took it to a company event this morning and took some nice vids and photos.

Thanks to the forum members again, very happy with my new toy!

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Good to hear that you like it. One more very useful feature of several Lumia's is QI (wireless) charging. You just put it on a QI plate and it starts charging so you do not need to put the USB cable in your phone. If you still have some money left I would recommend a QI charger.

AnkitGondalia

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Hey all,

Thanks for all the valuable info on these forums. I've been going through it for a couple hours now, and my minds been mostly put to rest.

I am due for an upgrade, though my Note2 still performs admirably. But I crave for a new experience.. And the iPhone just does not interest me.

In South Africa at the moment, I have access to the 930 & 1520. Coming from a Note, I wouldn't really mind the bigger 1520.

I've been trying to figure out when the next handset from Microsoft is due, and so far hitting a brick wall.

My question is, between the 930 and 1520... Obviously it's very subjective... But based on longevity, which would be a better option?

I'm guessing the 930 is a newer handset? So logically it would be the one. Is there anything else in the windows scene that I can consider? I really like what Microsoft has been doing recently and they seem to have their strategy coming together, especially with the app ecosystem portability that was recently announced.

Just hesitant of acting too quick and getting an outdated handset.

Thank you
Zak
Obviously 1520.. Bigger screen, glance, bigger battery, and SD card support..

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
After reading your posts, I would suggest you do one thing. Let the 930 come to you. Don't try to make it an Android phone. I just came back to the ICON from a Note 4 after only 3 months away. It took me a short time to remember why I love WP. Patience and ask questions here; great forum to learn what you want and need to know.

Welcome aboard.​

Zakaria Desai

May 3, 2015
Visit site
Mary Beth and others, thanks for the warm welcome 😃

Gotta agree with aximtreo, there's no going back now. I mean S6 is supposed to be the latest and greatest, but I can't see myself trading places with my Lumia 930.

Praxius

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
Well I can see myself using my 930 for at least another 2 years before it starts to show its age. Spec-wise, the 930 beats the iPhone 6 in pretty much every category, and it's technically older than the 6.

Sure the 1520 has SD card support, but my 32GB on my 930 is plenty.

Longer battery life on the 1520 perhaps, but my 930 does just fine until I head to bed. It's 10:30pm now and I still have 58% of my charge. That's from regular internet usage, several photos taken, facebook uploads and a HQ video recording.... Plus a few games here and there during the day.

No regrets for me

BSobotta

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
1520 has a touch screen issue. Do the research on it. Completely drove me nuts after a short time owning the phone. What a waste of an upgrade it was for me.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs