Cannot copy videos larger than ~150MB from phone to PC

yogi01

May 4, 2015
Visit site
Yesterday I discovered a strange behaviour:
Lumia is connected to a PC with win xp sp3. It is shown as "MTP device" in windows explorer. When I copy photos and videos from the "camera roll" folder to the pc, everything is copied except "large" video files. I cannot drag them to a player software, too.
Can anybody help?

Elitewolf

Apr 17, 2015
Visit site
Do you have a microsd card? You should be able to transfer the large video files to it. After doing that turn the phone off and remove the microsd card and plug it into the PC that way.

Feb 2, 2015
Visit site
Yesterday I discovered a strange behaviour:
Lumia is connected to a PC with win xp sp3. It is shown as "MTP device" in windows explorer. When I copy photos and videos from the "camera roll" folder to the pc, everything is copied except "large" video files. I cannot drag them to a player software, too.
Can anybody help?
150 MB is not large. I would try OneDrive or another app to "sync" that file with the PC. Email, Dropbox, anything. Its worth a shot.

darkest.white

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I find that you cannot copy and paste the file, drag and drop works like a charm though! I often find after the transfer it will say 100% complete but the window never closes. Right clicking and going into the properties of the transferred file(s) will reveal that it is no longer growing in size and that you can just unplug your phone and it will close :)

yogi01

May 4, 2015
Visit site
Do you have a microsd card? You should be able to transfer the large video files to it. After doing that turn the phone off and remove the microsd card and plug it into the PC that way.
Possible, but not very convenient if you do this on a regular basis.

150 MB is not large..
Files may become much larger for longer videos.

I would try OneDrive or another app to "sync" that file with the PC. Email, Dropbox, anything. Its worth a shot.
Call me old style, but there is a cable between the two devices. Email, Dropbox and so on seem to me like printing out a document on one computer and scanning it in on another one.

I find that you cannot copy and paste the file, drag and drop works like a charm though
I will give this a try.

yogi01

May 4, 2015
Visit site
I find that you cannot copy and paste the file, drag and drop works like a charm though!
Tried it out yesterday but did not work for me...
I now use "Easy transfer" to copy the files wireless. Only drawback so far is that the files on pc get date/time of the moment they were copied, they do not keep their original date/time :(

xratola

May 9, 2013
Visit site
It's because is windows XP. Beyond windows 7 it doesn't recognize Lumia Devices (and smartphones in general) as MTP devices. Upgrade your system to enjoy the latest features and functionalities. If not, try to use the cloud or another kind of alternative transferring method.

yogi01

May 4, 2015
Visit site
It's because is windows XP. Beyond windows 7 it doesn't recognize Lumia Devices (and smartphones in general) as MTP devices .
XP recognises my Lumia as MTP device. MTP is the root of the problem, not its solution. If the devices were recognised as mass storage (like in "the good old times") everything would be fine. The worldwideweb is full of complaints about MTP...

Upgrade your system to enjoy the latest features and functionalities..
I prefer to enjoy a system which does exactly what I want it to do and which I understand ;) In my job I have enough trouble with win7, I have no need for this at home.

try to use the cloud
out of question

another kind of alternative transferring method.
I do, as mentioned earlier (Easy Transfer). Not really a satisfying solution, but it is the lesser evil.

xratola

May 9, 2013
Visit site
Well given what you've said, yes, Easy transfer is the most suitable option for you, but remember that XP is already out of support and vulnerable to malware attacks. If you're good with that and it works for you, however, it's fine 👌

ntice_521

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
I don't have a 640, I have a 521...but I think WP's MTP is messed up. It's never worked reliably for me. (No, it's not the computer or OS...I have access to many computers and OSes). My android device, also using MTP, works perfectly.

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
I don't have a 640, I have a 521...but I think WP's MTP is messed up. It's never worked reliably for me. (No, it's not the computer or OS...I have access to many computers and OSes). My android device, also using MTP, works perfectly.

Lol. Now here is another post with "My android can do it......".

To the OP : Easy transfer is the solution and you have found it. Congrats.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss