Lumia 1520 broken screen

tarunp920

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
the front glass of my lumia 1520 is broken. touchscreen is working fine through the broken glass. How to replace it ? where can i buy the replacement part(s) ?

sarim_xyz

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
I would suggest go to a Microsoft Store or any authorized dealer and get it fixed there. If you don't have it near you, then you can order the outer glass online through ebay or something, and try to fix it yourself. Fortunately you didn't break your digitizer/LCD, so it shouldn't be an expensive deal.

ScrubbyXD

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
First question: Is the phone under warranty?

Yes: Take the phone to a Microsoft Store or Nokia care center.
No: Go to Second question.

Second Question: Have you repaired phones or specifically used a separator machine MANY times before. If you do not own or have access to separator machine answer no.

Yes: Excellent! Then you know what your doing and have a 50/50 shot at recovering a usable LCD from the assembly! You MAY only need to replace the glass/digitizer. Remember that your replacement part MUST have a Synaptics chipset. Remember NOT to order/buy it before you have verified the LCD you removed is still in working condition as often the glue bonding it to the glass/digitizer is holding it together in a way it would continue to work. Remember that your replacement part MUST have a Synaptics chipset (Yes I said this twice, its that important). If the LCD is busted you will need to buy the assembly.

No: The best you can hope for is to replace the assembly yourself or find someone willing to replace the assembly for you. You will need the glass/digitizer/lcd assembly. Remember that your replacement part MUST have a Synaptics chipset on the digitizer. There may be someone in your country here on the forums who has done this before that could do this work for you. There are Youtube videos and tutorials around that would help.

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
answer NO to above ^^^ ...

You could buy the screen & damage the underlying parts separating it, then there's the issue of getting it back together, without F#@%ing anything up (heat resistant glue / tape)

IF you're gonna do it yourself, buy the assembly & be very careful.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
I would suggest go to a Microsoft Store or any authorized dealer and get it fixed there. If you don't have it near you, then you can order the outer glass online through ebay or something, and try to fix it yourself. Fortunately you didn't break your digitizer/LCD, so it shouldn't be an expensive deal.

NOOOOO

Do NOT order outer glass only. The LCD is glued to the glass - you will be wasting your money on outer glass only. You will end up buying the lcd/glass, and your bonus wasted outer glass.

With all due respect, don't post stuff like this if you have no idea what you're talking about.

TheBadGuy_88

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
"Palco" is your friend. that separator process is so advanced that Nokia assembly and dissemble manual given to its own technicians doesn't cover it.
if it is a at&t 1520 the Microsoft store will replace it for 100.00. If it is a 1520.3 you should head to Palco. they charge about 30 dollars more than the display assembly by itself costs and they are the only place I've found that has official replacement parts.

ScrubbyXD

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
they are the only place I've found that has official replacement parts.
The OEM parts are available but I'd agree you won't find them retail and, as you say, very expensive. I have been lucky enough to find OEM and very good non-oem parts suppliers. One of these days I'll start a thread of who/where we can collectively pool our sources.

TheBadGuy_88

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
you found a OEM replacement display assembly with the original gorilla glass? for cheaper than the 200.00 palco charges for display assembly replacement with an original part from Microsoft? that's sounds too good to be true sir! kudos to you for that because I looked. pretty thoroughly I thought. :shocked:

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
"Palco" is your friend ...
if it is a at&t 1520 the Microsoft store will replace it for 100.00. If it is a 1520.3 you should head to Palco. they charge about 30 dollars more than the display assembly by itself costs and they are the only place I've found that has official replacement parts.

Will replace what for $100 - the glass or the complete display assembly?

ScrubbyXD

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
Barely cheaper..and the price was rising..and that was wholesale. You'd need a business license to even get pricing from this particular company. That said, that well is almost dry and I'd love to get my hands on what Palco are calling am OEM screen that they can charge $200 for because I'm skeptical. Keep in mind there are at least three screens made available to repair centers by Nokia. Only one of which was sent to AT&T (with logo) that could be called OEM. The .3 are rare, and the AT&T are diminishing quickly. Maybe paying all that money to get registered as an "authorized repair center" got them an extra perk to two.

The good news is while those screen assemblies are not being made anymore, equivalent quality is available to the consumer. At the moment the only consistent, definite thing I can advise when shopping for a screen is to make sure the original Synaptics chipset is used in the digitizer. However giving a retail source is tricky because at some point they will restock. When they do they will be a different batch. You have to avoid the Chinese's "This is OEM" cycle, where they sell a low quality part to someone here as OEM (usually with a Chipone chipset, these are inconsistent at best) and to get rid of the crap the buyer here sells them retail as OEM knowing they are not. I cannot prove without buying one from them who is willing to sell crap as OEM but people who are willing to sell just the glass without the digitizer are probably in this category.

TheBadGuy_88

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
Will replace what for $100 - the glass or the complete display assembly?
The whole device! They offered to swap out my 1520.3 with a cracked screen for the at&t version but I politely declined at the time. I didn't want to lose 16gbs, the bands and qi at the time

TheBadGuy_88

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
Palco agreed to swap out my display assembly for 200.00 but they warned me that they only had the one with an at&t logo on it as they only get there pieces straight from microsoft/nokia

950XL

Nov 27, 2016
Visit site
Has anyone lately replaced the screen of an AT&T 1520? Palco's online quote is $200; with only a 3 month warranty.

Are there any other companies with certified technicians using OEM parts?

invisik

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Hi, my screen is broken in a similar way.... the glass has cracked, but the touch still works fine.

Can I just get all the glass off (many little pieces have already fallen out) and then put on a screen protector? Or one of those tempered glass screen protectors?

I bought an HP x3 so the 1520 is kinda my backup phone so it doesn't have to be super pretty.

Thanks for any suggestions.
-m

xrs22

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Hi all,

I need advice about the Lumia 1520's replacement screen.
Is it possible to separate the digitizer from the glass?

I'm asking this because my Lumia 1520's glass is perfectly alright however the digitizer is acting all weird now.
It looks like this but it fills almost the entire screen now.
http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-1520/440575-genuine-lcd-replacement-ebay.html#post3573703
If you got a few hours to spare carefully separating the 2 with a heat gun or hair dryer. I'd go for the whole front since if done both before and separating the 2 didn't go so well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb