[L640] Charging takes longer not using the supplied charger?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

It took 4 hours to charge it from 20% to 100% Is this normal

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
re: [L640] Takes so long to charge is it because I am not using the supplied charger

Yeah, that would have something to do with it. You should always use the supplied charger.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
re: [L640] Takes so long to charge is it because I am not using the supplied charger

Why aren't you using the supplied charger?

The time it takes to charge a phone is based on the current of the charger. A lower current charger will take longer to charge your phone.

Saying that, you should use the supplied charger as it's designed for that phone.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

The 2500 mAh battery in the 640 is a very respectable size. If I know Lumia, you probably should have a 1.3 amp output on the charger... If you are using a 500 mA (or 0.5 amp) charger it will take some time.

The OEM charger you should have received would most likely be this: Nokia 1.3A Micro USB Wall Charger AC-50U - Smartphone Chargers & Cables

If you have to save $$$ and use a 3rd party charger. look for a higher output than what you have currently. Pun intended. :winktongue:

yogi01

May 4, 2015
Visit site
Re: [L640] Takes so long to charge is it because I am not using the supplied charger

The problem is not only the nominal output of the charger you use.
The original charger has a nominal output of 700mA. But Lumia detects "original accessories" and charges much slower if the charger is identified as non-original. I have not measured the current, but with my 1500mA (nominal) charger it takes about twice the time. I think the identification is made by checking the data pins, like Samsung did (does?). I suspect that a shortcut between the data pins will do, but I am not shure yet.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Re: [L640] Takes so long to charge is it because I am not using the supplied charger

The original charger has a nominal output of 700mA. But Lumia detects "original accessories" and charges much slower if the charger is identified as non-original. I have not measured the current, but with my 1500mA (nominal) charger it takes about twice the time. I think the identification is made by checking the data pins, like Samsung did (does?). I suspect that a shortcut between the data pins will do, but I am not shure yet.

So you're suggesting that instead of using the charger the OP got with the phone they should short out the data pins and potentially damage the phone?

Wam1q

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site

My Lumia charges faster with high-output Samsung chargers, and it displays "Phone charging slowly..." message when I use a slower-than-original charger.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

So you're suggesting that instead of using the charger the OP got with the phone they should short out the data pins and potentially damage the phone?

I think you read that wrong. I think they were suggesting how the phone might recognise that the charger is a Nokia charger.

Shorting data pins is one possibility. What this does is send a loop back signal to the phone indicating that the charger is Nokia. It's a rather simplistic way of doing it but I'd be surprised if that's even true. I'd want to see proof if they had a parity check to ensure their charger being used.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

My Lumia charges faster with high-output Samsung chargers, and it displays "Phone charging slowly..." message when I use a slower-than-original charger.

What Samsung charger do you have?

You should only use the original charger...

yogi01

May 4, 2015
Visit site

No, I do not suggest that.
What I have found out so far:
I have an old Samsung Omnia 2 (i8000) and some chargers (230V and 12V types).
The Omnia recognises some of them and charges, while with others it powers on, but does not charge.
The Omnia charges with the original Microsoft charger of Lumia 640.
The Lumia shows the "slow charging" message on all chargers that do not work with the Omnia. It does not show the message on all chargers that do work with the Omnia.
USB specs for detecting a charger demand a resistor smaller than 200Ohms between D+ and D-.

Nam3d

May 5, 2015
Visit site
Just a quick question not really familiar with the topic, but sometimes I use my old lumia 800 cable with an car adapter. Charging more slowly is not really an issue, but could it be harmful to the battery lifetime or would the damage be neglectable?

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Just a quick question not really familiar with the topic, but sometimes I use my old lumia 800 cable with an car adapter. Charging more slowly is not really an issue, but could it be harmful to the battery lifetime or would the damage be neglectable?

Cable doesn't matter. Using a car adapter is fine.

Things that effect lifetime of a battery are temperature and number of charging cycles.

There's little that effect a battery really.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Faster the charger, the faster the phone charges until the phone reaches the fastest rate at which it can change. Yup.

What Samsung charger do you have?

You should only use the original charger...

Not necessarily, power is power.
As long as the charger puts out enough power and isn't of shoddy construction, it'll work fine.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Not necessarily, power is power.
As long as the charger puts out enough power and isn't of shoddy construction, it'll work fine.

I'm well aware that power is power being in the electrical industry for over 20 years...

I recommended the original charger because that's good practice. Also it stops these thread of, 'my phone is charging slowly when I use X charger'.... If you want faster charging use a 1.5A charger. If you want really fast, get a newer phone that can use the fast chargers.

I'm still not convinced on how the battery handles fast charges though. I have enough knowledge about batteries but not to the full chemical level that what effects them when being charged at a rapid rate. I've read a few articles and investigated other bits but it's sometimes a bit of a mind field with regards to people's perspective on technology.

Last edited:

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

I'm well aware that power is power being in the electrical industry for over 20 years...

I recommended the original charger because that's good practice. Also it stops these thread of, 'my phone is charging slowly when I use X charger'.... If you want faster charging use a 1.5A charger. If you want really fast, get a newer phone that can use the fast chargers.

I'm still not convinced on how the battery handles fast charges though. I have enough knowledge about batteries but not to the full chemical level that what effects them when being charged at a rapid rate. I've read a few articles and investigated other bits but it's sometimes a bit of a mind filed with regards to people's perspective on technology.

Fair enough!

PretzelLogix

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site
My old WP7 phone used to have the oddest problems charging, too. Like most other people in here have said, you should use the power adapter that comes with your phone, but in general, it'll be fine to use a 1 or 2A charger. (Sometimes listed as 1000mA or 2000mA)

Recently, I stumbled across some portable LED USB Multimeter things and found that they were really good for diagnosing phone charging problems. Specifically, I found that my one Windows phone would occasionally get into some strange state where it would take a charge, but very slowly. The solution was the shut down the phone, pop the battery out, wait 5 sec, pop it back in and restart. Then it would charge fine.

four-usb-volt-meters-600x362.jpg

(Google "portable led usb multimeter" if you're interested in my write-up...)

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
My old WP7 phone used to have the oddest problems charging, too. Like most other people in here have said, you should use the power adapter that comes with your phone, but in general, it'll be fine to use a 1 or 2A charger. (Sometimes listed as 1000mA or 2000mA)

Recently, I stumbled across some portable LED USB Multimeter things and found that they were really good for diagnosing phone charging problems. Specifically, I found that my one Windows phone would occasionally get into some strange state where it would take a charge, but very slowly. The solution was the shut down the phone, pop the battery out, wait 5 sec, pop it back in and restart. Then it would charge fine.

View attachment 104082

(Google "portable led usb multimeter" if you're interested in my write-up...)

That can only mean two things.

Either the connection with the battery was poor or the software had a glitch in it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05