Where is that AT&T 640XL?

SteelSteve

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Just an fyi....
I can vouch for what enixon is saying about the 640 XL. I'm using my brand new 640 XL on AT&T with 4G speeds that are comparable to the speeds I'm getting on my AT&T 1520. I'm very pleased with the phone, and actually plan on selling my 1520 now...if things continue to go well. I was skeptical at first, but the 5.7 inch screen is a really nice size.
If I can ask, what made you decide to get / stay with the 640 xl when you already had the 1520, is there really much difference in phone sizes? what does the 640 xl do better that would make you want to sell the 1520?

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
If I can ask, what made you decide to get / stay with the 640 xl when you already had the 1520, is there really much difference in phone sizes? what does the 640 xl do better that would make you want to sell the 1520?

Don't get me wrong...I love my 1520. It's a better phone than the 640 XL. However, as Guytronic can tell you, I have a habit of trying out a lot of phones. :) In my opinion, the only drawback to using the 1520 was its top-heaviness. I have large hands, and have no trouble using my 1520 with one hand. But, it always just felt unbalanced to me. I realize that everything about the 640 XL falls way short of the 1520, except for one thing...the ease at which it fits in my hand due to its design. It's almost the same size as the 1520, but it feels so much easier to hold. These are just my opinions though. But I really like the design direction they took with the 640 XL.

Why sell my 1520??? Ha ha
Well, it's time for something different...and my wife just found out where I hide all of my devices. :D

sequoia464

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
I have no problems with the screen. If you have seen the 630/635's screen, then you've seen a pretty bad screen. The 640 XL's screen, in my opinion, is on par or slightly better than the 1320's screen...way better than anything 635 or below. I have no idea what the specs are on each, as I'm not really a spec guy. I'm just going by what I see when I line them up side by side. I will say that you will notice a little jaggedness around text on some websites or in articles, but not always, for whatever reason. But, it's really not a deal breaker for me because I don't spend hours reading using my phone....emails, news, texting mostly. Just to let you know, i also own the 1520, and love that screen, so I'm familiar with the best screen WP has to offer as well. I took a shot in the dark when I ordered this phone, and am very highly pleased. My only complaints are: On-screen navigation buttons, no dedicated camera button, and somewhat show battery charge time, especially when using random chargers/cables. This phone really likes its specific cable. I often get the "slow charging" warning when using other cables. Everything else about this phone is top notch. For the price, it's an excellent choice.

I pretty much agree with this, like the phone much better than my 1320 (don't have a 1520 for comparison).

I didn't care for the on screen navigation buttons at first, but I have gotten used to using them fairly quickly.

The 640 XL is only about a 1/4" smaller in each direction than my 1320, but the size works much better for me (I don't have large hands).

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I pretty much agree with this, like the phone much better than my 1320 (don't have a 1520 for comparison).

I didn't care for the on screen navigation buttons at first, but I have gotten used to using them fairly quickly.

The 640 XL is only about a 1/4" smaller in each direction than my 1320, but the size works much better for me (I don't have large hands).

I agree. I'm quickly getting used to the on screen buttons.

jonahtrav

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
I have no problems with the screen. If you have seen the 630/635's screen, then you've seen a pretty bad screen. The 640 XL's screen, in my opinion, is on par or slightly better than the 1320's screen...way better than anything 635 or below. I have no idea what the specs are on each, as I'm not really a spec guy. I'm just going by what I see when I line them up side by side. I will say that you will notice a little jaggedness around text on some websites or in articles, but not always, for whatever reason. But, it's really not a deal breaker for me because I don't spend hours reading using my phone....emails, news, texting mostly. Just to let you know, i also own the 1520, and love that screen, so I'm familiar with the best screen WP has to offer as well. I took a shot in the dark when I ordered this phone, and am very highly pleased. My only complaints are: On-screen navigation buttons, no dedicated camera button, and somewhat show battery charge time, especially when using random chargers/cables. This phone really likes its specific cable. I often get the "slow charging" warning when using other cables. Everything else about this phone is top notch. For the price, it's an excellent choice.
....... Thanks for being back to me about the screen. I have a 920 in which the mic just stopped working and so I have to use the speaker when talking on the phone... That's a problem. Was there a Rm number for your phone? I've seen 640 lx Rm 1096 on eBay and wonder if its the same phone as yours.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
....... Thanks for being back to me about the screen. I have a 920 in which the mic just stopped working and so I have to use the speaker when talking on the phone... That's a problem. Was there a Rm number for your phone? I've seen 640 lx Rm 1096 on eBay and wonder if its the same phone as yours.

No problem. I had a 920 as well for a while. That's a great phone.
The 640 XL that I bought was the dual SIM RM1096 from a seller named NeverMSRP. I've bought a few phones from him/her. Great seller with excellent shipping speeds through FedEx. If you do get a phone from this seller, he ships with the requirement that FedEx gets a signature before they release the phone, so someone will have to be home. Good luck in getting a replacement for your 920. If you have any more questions about this phone, just ask. :)

This is the exact one that I bought: https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-...002?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item33a1a1e5d2

perpleSlerp

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
No problem. I had a 920 as well for a while. That's a great phone.
The 640 XL that I bought was the dual SIM RM1096 from a seller named NeverMSRP. I've bought a few phones from him/her. Great seller with excellent shipping speeds through FedEx. If you do get a phone from this seller, he ships with the requirement that FedEx gets a signature before they release the phone, so someone will have to be home. Good luck in getting a replacement for your 920. If you have any more questions about this phone, just ask. :)

This is the exact one that I bought: Microsoft Lumia 640 XL RM 1096 White Factory Unlocked 5 7" 8GB Dual Sim | eBay

Did you get the white, and if so is it glossy?

perpleSlerp

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
Every review shows the matte white, yet it seems everyone is saying they ended up getting the glossy white. Has anyone who bought the phone gotten the matte white? I hate glossy back covers with a passion and I do not usually like cases, especially if the phone is particularly nice looking or if it's a phablet. The matte white finish looks so nice in pictures, I wouldn't even consider the glossy. We'll see what finish the AT&T and unlocked U.S. variants get.

Jakoh

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
To be honest, i would suggest NOT buying a phone from Ebay. I think there is always something wrong with them, immediately noticeable or not. My 1520 has atleast two flaws that i discovered over time.

darth_furious

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
....... Thanks for being back to me about the screen. I have a 920 in which the mic just stopped working and so I have to use the speaker when talking on the phone... That's a problem.
my 1520 also has a bad mic and I need to use speaker too! Waiting to replace it when the 940xl or whatever the flasgship will be called this fall

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
I will be getting one, just disappointed AT&T is only selling black and white phones. Not sure why they won't stock any colors.
Why not buy the unblocked version instead? They come in different colors, are cheaper, and get updates directly from Microsoft without AT&T's approval

Dusteater

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
Why not buy the unblocked version instead? They come in different colors, are cheaper, and get updates directly from Microsoft without AT&T's approval

Are you using one on AT&T? I am curious to know what you would be losing out on (LET, Visual Voicemail, Data Sense, etc.).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs