Cycling motion data

T oby

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
I've noticed that my Lumia 640 captures motion data using the SensorCore, and divides it up into the different types of data. There are apps that make use of the walking data, but I can't find any that use the cycling data. Most of my daily activity is cycling to work.

Is it the case that the phone is capturing this data on my cycling, but there aren't actually any apps that use it?

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Unlike walking data, which are characterized by rhythmic undulations in the rates of acceleration along the direction of the acceleration due to gravity and a relatively low rate of horizontal displacement, cycling data are characterized by a smoother displacement at higher speeds. This makes it difficult to differentiate data from cycling and from driving, for example - which also may be the reason why cycling data are not native to the reported information from Sensor Core.

Hence, if such an app existed, at least three scenarios may take place:
1. The app is a cycling app - any horizontal displacement (measure by GPS) is considered to be accomplished by cycling
2. The app is a cycling app, but can recognize walking/running accelerometer patterns - the app is "smart" enough to differentiate cycling from walking, but since the app is for cycling it would also consider data from driving (or riding a train or any other vehicle) as cycling data
3. The app also works with the Microsoft band - consistent with heart rate and skin conductivity data, the app can differentiate between walking, cycling and driving (which most is as not as tiring as cycling).

T oby

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
Sorry if I wasn't clear. Sensor core does now split up recorded activity into walking, running, cycling and driving. The issue is that I don't think any apps use the data.

Here's a screenshot 1drv.ms/1Erm3Ak

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
That's great! This screenshot already answers half of your question - that it is the case that your phone is capturing cycling data. As for the other half, a quick search in windowsphone.com on the keywords "Sensor Core", "biking", "cycling" and the combination of these three doesn't seem to yield a cycling app that uses cycling Sensor Core data. smile:

It does make me wonder, though, how the phone differentiates cycling from driving data - but at least the screenshot suggests that it already can.

agaskew

May 9, 2014
Visit site
Sorry if I wasn't clear. Sensor core does now split up recorded activity into walking, running, cycling and driving. The issue is that I don't think any apps use the data.

Here's a screenshot 1drv.ms/1Erm3Ak

I'm not sure how to view your screenshot :( Would you mind posting a URL?

T oby

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
That's great! This screenshot already answers half of your question - that it is the case that your phone is capturing cycling data. As for the other half, a quick search in windowsphone.com on the keywords "Sensor Core", "biking", "cycling" and the combination of these three doesn't seem to yield a cycling app that uses cycling Sensor Core data. smile:

It does make me wonder, though, how the phone differentiates cycling from driving data - but at least the screenshot suggests that it already can.

Yes, I couldn't find any apps either. It's a bit sad that my phone is diligently collecting this data every day, but there is no app to use it! An app like fitbit could easily include it towards the daily exercise target.

As for the tracking of cycling, it's not perfect, as it does normally show a small amount of driving each day.

OberstDanjeje

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I couldn't find any apps either. It's a bit sad that my phone is diligently collecting this data every day, but there is no app to use it! An app like fitbit could easily include it towards the daily exercise target.

As for the tracking of cycling, it's not perfect, as it does normally show a small amount of driving each day.

I have the L930 and L1520, I don't have a bike but it never showed car activity so the L640 must have a different sensor core or it must be GDR2

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6