[L640 XL] Will not turn off while charging?

Arman Dones

May 11, 2015
Visit site
I just bought my Lumia 640 XL. As I charge it for the first time, I tried turning it off but it did not, and instead it only restarted. Please provide feed back if this is caused by lack of update (my phone is up to date as per checking it on the settings and selecting the update option) or a defect so I can have it replace.

AnkitGondalia

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
re: [L640 XL] Does not turn off while charging.

I just bought my Lumia 640 XL. As I charge it for the first time, I tried turning it off but it did not, and instead it only restarted. Please provide feed back if this is caused by lack of update (my phone is up to date as per checking it on the settings and selecting the update option) or a defect so I can have it replace.

It is normal.. Lumias phones don't turn off while charging..

Arman Dones

May 11, 2015
Visit site

Thank you for the info. Another observation, whenever I open a newly taken picture, instead of seeing the picture right away, I see a video which included moments prior pressing the camera (arranging hair, making poses prior to final pose and likes). So I see a video clip then a picture (actual taken). Is this normal?

Appreciate all of your comments. I'm really a new lumia, windows phone user. Thanks!

Last edited:

Yogesh Malhotra

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site

Thank you for the info. Another observation, whenever I open a newly taken picture, instead of seeing the picture right away, I see a video which included moments prior pressing the camera (arranging hair, making poses prior to final pose and likes). So I see a video clip then a picture (actual taken). Is this normal?

Appreciate all of your comments. I'm really a new lumia, windows phone user. Thanks!

It means that u have turned on the living image option. This option u can turn off in camera settings .

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site

I guess you must be coming from Android? All windows phones will turn on by themselves once they are connected to power. Not sure why, but that's how they behave.

Arman Dones

May 11, 2015
Visit site
Yes I am. Thank you for the reply.

Another observation, whenever I open a newly taken picture, instead of seeing the picture right away, I see a video which included moments prior pressing the camera (arranging hair, making poses prior to final pose and likes). So I see a video clip then a picture (actual taken). Is this normal?

It means that u have turned on the living image option. This option u can turn off in camera settings .

Where can I find it? I did go to settings > photos + camera, but I cannot find the option to off the said setting. I selected the reset camera option instead.

Last edited by a moderator:

AnkitGondalia

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site

Where can I find it? I did go to settings > photos + camera, but I cannot find the option to off the said setting. I selected the reset camera option instead.
Go to Lumia camera.. On the right hand side besides the flash there is a wand.. Click on that icon to turn it off

mikepalma

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site

Yes I am. Thank you for the reply.

Another observation, whenever I open a newly taken picture, instead of seeing the picture right away, I see a video which included moments prior pressing the camera (arranging hair, making poses prior to final pose and likes). So I see a video clip then a picture (actual taken). Is this normal?

What is the purpose of this living image?

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site

ZombieZoom

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site

It's not Living Images as everyone says as Living Images feature isn't available for Lumia 640 XL. What happened is that - because you're an ex-Android - you long-pressed the capture button resulting in using Lumia Moments feature which records a video instead of taking a picture and then you're presented with the video frame by frame so that you could choose the best moment. Ankit told you to turn off the "wand" which is a feature called Rich Capture and you're probably have it turned off already. Rich Capture uses the best settings automatically to get you the best shot and the resulting photo takes a couple of seconds to process.

Rakesh Rocky2

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site

It's not Living Images as everyone says as Living Images feature isn't available for Lumia 640 XL. What happened is that - because you're an ex-Android - you long-pressed the capture button resulting in using Lumia Moments feature which records a video instead of taking a picture and then you're presented with the video frame by frame so that you could choose the best moment. Ankit told you to turn off the "wand" which is a feature called Rich Capture and you're probably have it turned off already. Rich Capture uses the best settings automatically to get you the best shot and the resulting photo takes a couple of seconds to process.

I have 640xl and I can confirm living images is available.. It is Lumia camera 5.0...
As for the solution go to settings then swipe left to photo section in that... Capture living images turn it off...

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site

Living images is available for 640 and 640 XL for sure.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=H64jrtP8Cbk#t=70

The long press capture action can be mapped to either video, photo burst or disable, depending in individual needs.

These are why 640 XL is really a value for money model till date.

somhom

May 11, 2015
Visit site
Re: [L640 XL] Does not turn off while charging.

hows your experience with 640xl ? I want to buy one but little worried about size ! is it possible to carry in pocket ? i wish they had offered same features with 640 .

Particularity in public taking calls , handling ?

Rakesh Rocky2

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site

hows your experience with 640xl ? I want to buy one but little worried about size ! is it possible to carry in pocket ? i wish they had offered same features with 640 .

640 xl is good to hold.. I got no problems keeping in my pocket (I wear skinny jeans).. One handed operation might be difficult while on the go but it has good grip.. Keyboard typing might be little difficult but it will be addressed in win 10

Arman Dones

May 11, 2015
Visit site

Thank you but I did not long pressed the camera button hahaha condescending huh. Thanks anyway.

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site

Comparing to 1520, aka the Hulk of Windows Phone, 640 XL is much easier to hold. The "sharper" edges have better grips than the smooth rounded edges of 1520. Perhaps I have bigger hands, so one hand operations are no issue for me. Furthermore, the double tapping on the on-screen navigation bar can be used to turn the screen off. So, the double tapping gesture is what I use most of the time instead of searching for the power button for waking the phone as well as putting the phone to standby. :)

Rakesh Rocky2

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site

Comparing to 1520, aka the Hulk of Windows Phone, 640 XL is much easier to hold. The "sharper" edges have better grips than the smooth rounded edges of 1520. Perhaps I have bigger hands, so one hand operations are no issue for me. Furthermore, the double tapping on the on-screen navigation bar can be used to turn the screen off. So, the double tapping gesture is what I use most of the time instead of searching for the power button for waking the phone as well as putting the phone to standby. :)

Exactly double tap to wake up and to lock is a killer feature.. I hardly press the power button..

Arman Dones

May 11, 2015
Visit site
Last question, I had couple of times when I unlock my phone, the background color is somewhat saturated, does anybody experienced it too? Is it defect? Sigh

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb