Why is 830 faster than 735

KhawarNadeem

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
Memory bus/channel can't be different since it's a part of the SoC, which both of them share. The RAM itself may be one reason.

Storage performance can definitely play a part as well. I wouldn't be surprised if all components besides the chipset are different between the phones, with better internals in the 830...

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
There's no resolution difference, they are both 720p, the 730 looks more pixelly becuse of the pentile display.

The only reasons the 730 can be slower than the 830 is if

1. The memory/memory bus is slower on the 730/735
2. The on-board eMMC is slower
3. The CPU is throttled back to improve battery life or due to thermal reasons.

Having said that, I have the 830 and my wife has the 730, I don't see any difference in performance.

The display response of AMOLED is typically faster than LCD. I am assuming L735 has an AMOLED display and I know L830 is LCD, because Items 1, 2, and 3 should be at best equal and not superior to the L830 haha.

EDIT: I checked a couple of reviews and it does seem the Lumia 735 has an OLED (most likely AMOLED) panel.

I love AMOLED but Windows 10 sure doesn't ... Most AMOLEDs cannot render the grays without graininess, and the L925 is definitely not an exception to this norm.
sdc1859eq23.jpg
* Exaggerated example as the resolution of the display is smaller.

Off topic but I definitely think LCD is the way to go post Metro UI ;)

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Its just a shame that the screen looks pale and washed out next to the 735. I bought both when they came out. I still have the 735 but the 830 has gone to a new owner now. Didn't really notice the difference in performance but just preferred the 735s screen and in-hand feel. I have bought and tried all the Lumias but only keep the ones that 'do it' for me. I like them all but love the 1520, 1020, 920, 820, 735, 720 and the 620. I use them all in rotation because I am a Lumia looney :)

really? you have so many phones? What for? :)

What job are you doing man!?!?

Why does anyone have more than one car? He also has great taste in phones. I should start my own classic Lumia collection.

I hardly ever have just one phone. It feels weird. I may not be using them all in rotation, but there is always a backup at least. I've been this way for years. I started on Windows Phone in August of 2013. So far for Windows Phone I've had and released Lumia 521, L925 (should have kept that one), L520 x2, Blu Win HD and L635.

Currently I'm in possession of Lumia 1520, L928 and L830. I'm also in the middle of a rather long camera comparison test of the three and am finding it quite challenging to do as well as interesting in terms of results.

I've been driving the 1520 mostly since August, 2014. However, I'm using the 830 right now as a daily and have been for about 3 weeks. It's a very nice phone and does not seem slow to me at all. I can't compare it to 735 as I've never had that model. I can state why someone might have more than one or two phones... It's fun. It's interesting. It's an itch you just have to scratch. If you are passionate enough about tech, a lot of it goes through your hands. There's always something to try and some new toy to buy. Some keep them and horde them, some try them and then pass them on. It really is not unusual to run across both of these types on the phone forums.

My name is RumoredNow and I am a phone-a-holic.

Paul1266

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
Ha ha...welcome brother! The only windows phones I haven't really enjoyed are a couple of the lower end devices. Most have something to recommend them, be it changeable covers, wireless charging, eye-popping screen or just a really appealing design. For example, I still use my 820 from time to time even though the battery sucks and the screen resolution is not that good anymore because I just like the solid feel of it, the swappability of backs, its unique design (plus I have qi chargers spread around...which helps with that model lol). I rarely use the same handset for more than 2 or 3 days before flicking over to another in my collection and so forth. Variety is the spice of life after all...

Alfa Kapa

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
Hello Fekish!

Out of curiosity, if you go to settings --> info, what SOC version does your 830 and 735 show?
I got a fairly new lumia 730 and the SOC version is 8226.

Now the resolution on both phones is the same, but lumia 730/735 has a pentile pixel arrangement,
so this is why it might not look as sharp as 830's screen.
Also the cpu model is the same and RAM size is the same. So my guesses are either 735 has slower clocked RAM frequency, or you got an old batch model .

As a 730 owner I was sold on this phone for its OLED display and the in-hand/ pocket feel also I find the overall performance snappy enough,
with the loading/resuming screens reduced to a minimum or to the point were ''there is nothing wrong, I won't smash my phone, pee on it, paint it blue and drop it in the sea while still resuming....'' !
(always compared to my previous phone which was a poor 630)
:p

rideboarder

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
Hello Fekish!

Out of curiosity, if you go to settings --> info, what SOC version does your 830 and 735 show?
I got a fairly new lumia 730 and the SOC version is 8226.
Interestingly my 735 purchased last year has a SOC version of 8926. Mine seems pretty snappy, but I don't have a 830 to compare it to.

fekish

Feb 9, 2015
Visit site
Cool, "unfortuantely" i am running Windows 10 on my 735 now so we wont be able to test them correctly - or test them accurately lets say.
But i was 100% sure that after using 735 for 4 months, and then loading exactly the same backup on my 830 and using the same sd card, i was feeling everthing snappier... There were times that i was bored trying to surf with my 735 because of all the lag, and i was getting my Android tablet. This doesnt happen though now with 830. Of course i am still on 830 for some days, but there were not any force closes on UCBrowser, but on 735 i was getting continious force closings...
The screen of 735 seems 1000 times better, but i suppose this was something to do with the Glance feature on 830...
The other obvious difference, is that i type easier on the 830 because of the larger screen. But having a protecting case on 735 is exactly the same size with 830 without a case. I am still thinking wether i should put a case on 830 or not to be honest :)

Anyway it might be just hte model i had... Whoever had both 735 and 830 can add their experience too!

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site

fekish

Feb 9, 2015
Visit site
Thanks, but i never liked the fact that you have to flip to see the screen..
I never put covers on my phones until i broke the screen of my 735 20 days after purchase. It slipped from my hands as i was standing, and... Bam! That was it... Couldn't believe my eyes that with the first hit, the screen wood break!

Gaming Life

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
Oh your luck was bad. I dropped my 830 about 3-4 times face down from about 4 feet and screen has not cracked. Though there is loads of scratches only seen it you are looking for it.

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
Hello,

i recently purcahsed an 830 and now i have both 830 and 735.

However i noticed (except the obvious screen resolution difference) that 830 is much faster than 735.
i thought that they were both of the same power, right?

Did anyone else see this? I rarely get teh loading... message, and everything is snappier.

Thanks

Can you make a video?

As far as I checked L730 speed is same as L830.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HLIVsqyyHsA
Not sure why is this?

gomezz

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
Though there is loads of scratches only seen it you are looking for it.
I use a dab of toothpaste on a bit of kitchen towel to rub out small scratches from the face of my work watch. May work for a phone screen too (suggest try it on the bit of screen over the bottom buttons first).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos