Windows 10 Mobile for HTC 8X?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
No solid info.

If I were to speculate, probably not officially.
HTC has assured us the One M8 will get 10, and the 8S isn't getting anything more.

There's the Preview for DEvelopers/Insider programs, but mileage may vary.

ordas

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
The problem is I am really annoyed by the phantom touches bug in IE, every Windows Phone 8.1 I had (1520, 930 and now the 8X) has this problem. It does not seem to be hardware related and I hope that Spartan/Edge will get rid of it. Also, the current insider build is pretty much ok on my backup-broken-glass Lumia 920. :)

Phoibos

May 6, 2014
Visit site
I see a build in the insider app, there was also the "getting ready for win10"-update installed succefully, but it didn't continue installing Windows 10, rebooted couple of times, also disabled Developer Preview, still not working

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I see a build in the insider app, there was also the "getting ready for win10"-update installed succefully, but it didn't continue installing Windows 10, rebooted couple of times, also disabled Developer Preview, still not working

The latest only includes the One M8 for Windows.

Hopefully the ATIV's and other 8 phones aren't far behind.

HTC_8X_User

Sep 15, 2014
Visit site
From the Microsoft Windows 10 Phone website "Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview currently works with the following phones—as long as they have at least 8 GB of storage, Windows Phone 8.1 was already installed on the phone at the time of purchase, and the version number is 8.10.14219.341 or earlier:" Looks like 8X users are missing the "already installed" requirement.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
But, was Windows Phone 8.1 already installed on the phone at the time of purchase? The "already installed" looks like a requirement.

No it isn't. I think that's what they're promising definitively, but our 2nd gen phones like the 1520, 920, 520 that shipped with 8.0 are still slated for 10. (some 8.0 phones were left behind by carriers however)

Kavu2

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
Paul Thurrott has a new article up attempting to interpret the MS WP10 eventual rollout....how it will work and who gets it and who doesn't
https://www.thurrott.com/mobile/win...-ship-updates-to-windows-10-mobile-for-phones

Some items of interest/clarification from the article...(PaulT's interpretation)
- There is no upgrade path from Windows Phone 8.0. If you’re Windows Phone 8(.0) handset was never upgraded to Windows Phone 8.1 or newer, you’re out of luck. You can’t get to Windows 10 Mobile.

- The upgrade process happens as it does now in Windows Phone, which is to say over the air, and using the familiar “grinding gears” UX will all know and love.

- You can’t downgrade. Unlike with desktop versions of Windows 10, Windows 10 Mobile does not provide a way to “downgrade,” or go back to the previous Windows Phone OS version you were using...(Paul T speculates)although it might be possible through the Software Recovery Tool.

- You can launch the upgrade from an SD card. You can simply download the Windows 10 Mobile upgrade to microSD and install it from there.

- (note: Paul T speculates) MS will use the Windows Insider Program to deliver “fast ring” updates early to insiders as part of Project Milkyway(on-going MS update process every 4-6 wks), and that normal users will only get them on the usual schedule, when carriers OK the updates.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment:
So you have to have been upgraded to WP 8.1 before you can get WP10.
MS will throw the update to both the Insider Program and the Carriers. The Carriers will then test it and release it...(or not) as per their whim, as has the case with the current s/w release model. The only way it would seem that you are certain to get WP10 is if you have a WP that is updated to 8.1....and is from MS(read Lumias)....or you have a WP updated to 8.1 and 'fast ring' it through the Insider Program.

Well that's my best read on PaulT's article and thoughts on the WP10 eventual rollout. PaulT salts the article at the end with the comment: "Experience has taught me not to get too excited when it comes to Windows Phone updates. And not to believe everything you read.". So I guess nothing is set in cement just quite yet....but at least there are some footprints of folks playing in the C-mud to guide us....sort of.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster