Enixon's Lumia 640 XL Review

enixon

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys! After receiving a few PMs about the phone, a couple asked me to review the phone here. I don't have an extra camera, but I think it's well-documented on how the phone looks. I ordered my phone from Expansys-USA and got the RM-1096_1001 (640 XL LTE Dual SIM). I get 4G (LTE) here in New Jersey on AT&T. I will answer all questions you guys have here too.

When I got the package, I was surprised to see I got an LTE Dual SIM variant, since that isn't what was advertised. Even more exciting was the amount of bands it supported! I was pretty pumped to put my AT&T SIM card from my 635 in to see if I was going to get LTE...I did!

Physically, the phone is super light, like almost no battery inside light. It feels lighter than my 635 by a lot. Even though it is light, it feels substantial with the matte plastic housing. I got the matte orange, and it is like a super neon orange, which is fine with me. The glass has an oleophobic coating on it, which made me a very happy person. Using the 635 as my Windows Phone was rough since that didn't have one. Everything about this phone feels pretty good, considering it is all plastic. The display is a VERY nice 720P IPS. I let my friend play around with it (Who has a Note 4 and is equally in love with phones as I am), and even he made a comment on the color reproduction. He said the blacks are very good, and could hardly tell the screen was on with "glance". I got him to consider the phone when it comes out here!

Now for performance... I was expecting the phone to be pretty close to the 635 in performance, since it basically shares the same specs. I can't tell for sure, but either the extra RAM (1GB) makes a world of difference, or the latest Windows Phone build is very optimized for this phone. I haven't had any issues with performance at all, and I am very surprised. The only thing that I can complain about is when you press the home button to go back to the start screen, there is a small amount of lag. Other than that, everything is great. I haven't played any games but Crossy Roads, so I can't say how it performs on there. I did however, have it connected to my Wireless Display Adapter to stream some Netflix for a couple of hours, and everything was fantastic!

Battery life is a pretty big deal for me. It's annoying for me to get done my day, head to the gym, and have to stop playing my music because my phone is about to die. I can safely say that is not the case with the 640 XL. When I take it off the charger (6-7AM) and finally finish from the gym (1-2AM), I still have well over 50% left. This phone can easily last me two days without fully charging it. I'm not sure how well it will hold up for some of you guys, but I use my phone for all the normal things (SMS, email, Netflix, YouTube/Twitch, Internet Explorer, some games, etc).

I'm not going to talk about pictures too much, I will leave some of the ones I've taken down below. It's a great camera for a ~~~$250 phone.

All in all, this is the first Windows Phone I've had that I haven't had an issue with! I've had the 1520 (sensitivity issues), 635 (Just a bad phone in my opinion), 830 (capacitive buttons didn't work right, and a very bad yellow tint to the screen, HTC One M8 (not many applications I used were compatible), Win HD (Just bad...). I think those are all the phones I've used for Windows Phone...I can't remember after so many. haha

I will be keeping this phone as my only Windows Phone, maybe I will carry around the 635 to show people Windows 10 Tech Preview.

I would say this phone is a solid 9/10! I will answer any questions you guys have, that I can!

WP_20150511_21_00_40_Pro.jpgWP_20150512_07_00_28_Pro.jpgWP_20150512_07_01_15_Pro.jpgWP_20150512_07_01_29_Pro.jpgWP_20150513_11_43_02_Pro.jpgWP_20150513_11_43_41_Pro.jpgwp_ss_20150513_0001.png

Intense Soul

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Good to read your review mate. It's been more than a month for me on 640XL dual sim variant. I face couple of issues, when I watch videos on browser it closes automatically. And the other one, you have already stated above. "lag when start button is pressed". And rest is thumbs UP to 640XL

enixon

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
Good to read your review mate. It's been more than a month for me on 640XL dual sim variant. I face couple of issues, when I watch videos on browser it closes automatically. And the other one, you have already stated above. "lag when start button is pressed". And rest is thumbs UP to 640XL

That's odd, I can watch videos from IE without issues. Have you tried using a different browser, like US Browser?

gedster314

Jun 20, 2007
Visit site
I occasionally get a little stuttering when going back home from the IE or the camera but over all I am happy with the performance. I came from a Dual Sim Xperia z3 and OnePlusOne and am content with the performance of it. I would love to see this WP build on a 801 processor and 2GB.

Bought this mainly for the radio coverage and I was bored of Android and I kind of like the new direction MS is taking. I want to try W10 on it.

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
I occasionally get a little stuttering when going back home from the IE or the camera but over all I am happy with the performance. I came from a Dual Sim Xperia z3 and OnePlusOne and am content with the performance of it. I would love to see this WP build on a 801 processor and 2GB.

Bought this mainly for the radio coverage and I was bored of Android and I kind of like the new direction MS is taking. I want to try W10 on it.

The stuttering is happening on almost every Lumia models. Even my beasty 1520 stutters sometimes when going back Home. Also, if you try to flick to the left to go into the app list, you can feel that there is a moment of delay before the app list gets pulled over.

jonahtrav

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
Hey... Can one of you guys with the 640lx comment on the speaker on the back... How does it compare with another phone...920,620 whatever your last phone was... That would be great...

enixon

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
Hey... Can one of you guys with the 640lx comment on the speaker on the back... How does it compare with another phone...920,620 whatever your last phone was... That would be great...

It's clear, but not super loud like my 635 was. I can still hear notifications a few rooms over in my home, but it would have been nice if it was a tad louder.

enixon

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
Out of no where I lost LTE for some reason. I can get LTE on SIM 2 sometimes, but it usually goes to HSPA+. I brought it to AT&T and of course they didn't know anything, they told me to take it to a store that has a tech center,

Pavstar619

May 4, 2015
Visit site
Since this is a Review Thread and Enixon couldn't post Gaming Performance here's a short dirty quick Review (AS FAR AS I've Played):
#Zombie's Got a Pogo = No lag
#Royalt Revolt = No lag
#SoulCraft 2(Mid Graphics) = No lag
#Tiny Troopers = No lag
#Mad Snowboarding = No lag
#Monster Castle = No lag
#Six-Guns = NO LAG
#Crossy Road = No lag
#Xtreme DirtZ = No lag
#VBA8(Final Fantasy, Digimon, Tekken, Sims, KoF etc) = Some audio & video Lag (Prolly due to software from dev, plus it's an emulator)
#Sonic Dash = Only lags During Level Complete when I gotta do Air Combo
#Smash Bandits = Some Loading Lag, but otherwise thumbsup! :winktongue:

When I take it off the charger (6-7AM) and finally finish from the gym (1-2AM), I still have well over 50% left.
Hi, about the charging part. Did you full charge in 1 hour?!?! My one takes 3 hours to full charge :shocked:

enixon

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
Since this is a Review Thread and Enixon couldn't post Gaming Performance here's a short dirty quick Review (AS FAR AS I've Played):
#Zombie's Got a Pogo = No lag
#Royalt Revolt = No lag
#SoulCraft 2(Mid Graphics) = No lag
#Tiny Troopers = No lag
#Mad Snowboarding = No lag
#Monster Castle = No lag
#Six-Guns = NO LAG
#Crossy Road = No lag
#Xtreme DirtZ = No lag
#VBA8(Final Fantasy, Digimon, Tekken, Sims, KoF etc) = Some audio & video Lag (Prolly due to software from dev, plus it's an emulator)
#Sonic Dash = Only lags During Level Complete when I gotta do Air Combo
#Smash Bandits = Some Loading Lag, but otherwise thumbsup! :winktongue:

Hi, about the charging part. Did you full charge in 1 hour?!?! My one takes 3 hours to full charge :shocked:

I'm not quite sure how long it takes to charge. The only time I charge it for any length of time is when I'm asleep.

Kurt Falde

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
Out of no where I lost LTE for some reason. I can get LTE on SIM 2 sometimes, but it usually goes to HSPA+. I brought it to AT&T and of course they didn't know anything, they told me to take it to a store that has a tech center,

Thats not good :( just ordered it two days ago will be trying it on ATT as well hopefully my lte works :)

enixon

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
Thats not good :( just ordered it two days ago will be trying it on ATT as well hopefully my lte works :)

It will work fine, you might have to call AT&T and have the reprovision your lines for LTE access. It seems they took my accss away because they didn't recognize my phone. I am not very happ about this either.

enixon

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
To give everyone an update on the LTE. After many phone calls with AT&T, I finally got an answer. The phone does support LTE on AT&T's network (obviously), but apparently Microsoft never sent them a full list of IMEIs to check for, so unlocked 640 XLs might get the blacklist before they update their IMEI tables. I was told to expect a two week turnaround for the tables to be updated.

Also, fun fact, there are only six 640 XLs running on AT&T's network. haha

Lilla45

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Enixon, thank you for keeping us updated. I've been following your posts every day. I plan to purchase 640 XL LTE when it becomes readily available. I will be using it on AT&T.
Q: I'm wondering if AT&T allows your your international version to be used as a hotspot right out of the box, or if that is a feature you have to ask AT&T to turn on for you? Just curious.

enixon

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
Enixon, thank you for keeping us updated. I've been following your posts every day. I plan to purchase 640 XL LTE when it becomes readily available. I will be using it on AT&T.
Q: I'm wondering if AT&T allows your your international version to be used as a hotspot right out of the box, or if that is a feature you have to ask AT&T to turn on for you? Just curious.

Before being blacklisted, I had no issues. I didn't change anything to my account. After being blacklisted from LTE, I am going to try right now.

Yep, still works. I just connected my Surface 3 to it and I am finishing this post up on it now. I just wish it was LTE speeds. haha

enixon

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
So are they going to unblacklist you somehow or are we pretty much SoL at the moment until MS gives them something?

They are only unprovisioning certain IMEIs from LTE, that is all. Once they get the IMEI list from Microsoft, they will update their system and reprovision all of the IMEIs with LTE. It sucks, but at least the guy from AT&T is keeping me in the loop.

My phone functions fine, just missing LTE.

enixon

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
Since I've had the phone for a few days now, I figured I would update my battery life experience. I don't charge my phone every night, it's more like every other night, and I could get three days out of it if I needed to. My general usage is a lot of IE, a lot of Facebook, around 1-2 hours of Netflix streamed to a Wireless Display Adapter, 8Stream (Twitch) for an hour or so, and a lot of text messaging. That is around my normal daily usage.

wp_ss_20150518_0001.pngwp_ss_20150518_0002.png

Kanishka

Jun 24, 2014
Visit site
thanks for the review
i may get this to hold me over until th flagship
think this will be an excellent choice for those who travel and need dual sim (great battery life and a decent camera when on trips!)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo