screen protector + case?

Medwynd

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
Normally I would order a Zagg cover + Otterbox combo for a new phone, but it seems that neither make a product for the Lumia 640. Anyone have any suggestions?

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Bubblefat

May 16, 2015
Visit site
I orddered a Fosmon dura frost slim cover. Very durable on e similar to the one for my 635. I'll swear by it. Also, anything tempered glass is excellent.

jdballard

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
For me, given the inexpensive nature of the phone, I may just go case-less. I haven't used a screen protector on a phone for years with no issues although I always have a case.

FancyFreddy

May 19, 2015
Visit site
The Aero Armor case is what I had on my AT&T 635 and gave it to my daughter when her droid died. (she is now hooked on WP8.1, but misses the FFC)

It was only $7 on ebay, but, its already helped the 635 survive a couple of drops off of her desk.

I'm looking for something with some "forgiveness" to it when I get mine.

gomezz

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
For me, given the inexpensive nature of the phone, I may just go case-less. I haven't used a screen protector on a phone for years with no issues although I always have a case.
Given the scuffed and scraped nature of my cheap (off the market) case I am glad that is taking the beating and not the phone itself.

jdballard

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Given the scuffed and scraped nature of my cheap (off the market) case I am glad that is taking the beating and not the phone itself.

It's all up to the individual, I guess. My phones/cases almost never get scuffed or dropped and most cases ruin the form factor of the phone. Given the inexpensive nature of the 640, making it easier to replace outright, I may hold off on the case to preserve the form factor of the phone. Could change if the phone has a slick feel that makes it easier to drop.

jdballard

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
How so? I can still hold and use the phone exactly as if it had no case including putting it in an, otherwise empty, pocket if I wish with the flap left folded back.

You seem bothered by the fact I don't think I'll be putting a case on my phone. (I still may get one; it just depends on what I think of the phone when I get it.)

Anyway, a case (even a slim one) makes it bigger, bulkier, and hides the lines/aesthetics of the phone as it was designed. It doesn't necessary make it uglier, but it does add to the size and weight, even if just a little. And yes, a phone with a case will still fit in my pocket and I can still hold it normally. Heck, my M8 with it's Spigen slim armor case and my wallet both fit in the same front pocket of my jeans. But it doesn't look nor feel the same with the case.

My whole point, though, is that the 640 is a pretty inexpensive phone and I can go out and replace it a lot easier if it gets broken than I could a phone that costs $500 (like my M8, which wasn't cheap). Not to mention my phones don't get beat up too much, so it's low risk for me, although that's not true for everyone.

To each their own. I was throwing out an option to the OP that going without a case (and screen protector which I haven't used in years and never had a scratch) is an alternative.

gomezz

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
Anyway, a case (even a slim one) makes it bigger, bulkier, and hides the lines/aesthetics of the phone as it was designed
I was wondering if the BiB is what you actually meant. Never understood that myself. I am looking only at the screen. You seem to care about what other people think when they see your phone where as peer validation is not a problem for me.

jdballard

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
I am looking only at the screen. You seem to care about what other people think when they see your phone where as peer validation is not a problem for me.

That's a pretty big (wrong) assumption that I care what other people think and need peer validation - especially in my choice of phones and whether or not it has a case.

​Just because I buy something that looks nice (whether it's a phone, a car, a house, etc.) doesn't mean I'm buying it because I care what other people think. I'm buying it because it's both functional and looks nice to me - not anyone else.

Lilla45

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Apparently, the screens on these are pretty indestructible, so I do not plan to add a screen protector, but will add a case.

If you want to see 640 screen torture tests, search youtube.com for these titles:
Microsoft Lumia 640 XL Knife Test and Key Scratch Test
Microsoft Lumia 640 XL Scratch Test with Knife, Coin and Keys

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans