How to get 8.1 GDR2 with WP10 in the fast ring?

StreekG

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
As the title suggests.

I accidentally left my phone on fast ring and found WP10 installed on sunday morning, i instantly hated it and found it pretty unusable.
I had GDR2 installed previously, i used the windows phone recovery tool to put my old OS back however i am on Update 1.

How do i install GDR2 now, seeing as you had to have your phone on fast ring to install it, WP10 is the fast ring OS now.

Do i have to do it manually on the PC??

Conan143

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
As the title suggests.

I accidentally left my phone on fast ring and found WP10 installed on sunday morning, i instantly hated it and found it pretty unusable.
I had GDR2 installed previously, i used the windows phone recovery tool to put my old OS back however i am on Update 1.

How do i install GDR2 now, seeing as you had to have your phone on fast ring to install it, WP10 is the fast ring OS now.

Do i have to do it manually on the PC??

There are two cases
1) If you are on denim ( update 1) u can opt fast ring in windows insider and it will download GDR2.
2) if you are having lower version than denim( update 1 ) then u will be upgraded straight to WP10.

Since you are on update 1 then u will get GDR2 first and then WP10..In order to be on GDR2 you know you have to hard reset the phone while on GDR2.

gahbmwm5

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Yes indeed, waiting patiently for AT&T to push out their official Denim update for Lumia 920..which should give me OS: 8.10.14234.375 & Denim firmware: 3051.5009.1451.1001..I should then be able to install Windows Insider-->opt for Fast Track -->and hopefully get me to 8.1.2 GDR 2...(fingers crossed..lol)
Because of my present OS: 8.10.14219.315 and Cyan firmware: 3051.5009.1425.314--> attempting Fast Track updates me directly to a Windows 10 TP build....which I do NOT want...!
Lumia 920 posted by Tapatalk

StreekG

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
There are two cases
1) If you are on denim ( update 1) u can opt fast ring in windows insider and it will download GDR2.
2) if you are having lower version than denim( update 1 ) then u will be upgraded straight to WP10.

Since you are on update 1 then u will get GDR2 first and then WP10..In order to be on GDR2 you know you have to hard reset the phone while on GDR2.

Thanks for the reply, by hard reset do you mean just resetting in the settings, or using windows phone recovery tool?
What if i just change to slow ring, and untick automaticall download updates if data settings allow? That should keep me on GDR2 i assume

Edit: i was on Denim update 1, but i clicked fast ring and it told me that Windows 10 tech preview was ready to download, so there goes that idea.

Is there a ROM i can download and install manually?

Last edited:

Conan143

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the reply, by hard reset do you mean just resetting in the settings, or using windows phone recovery tool?
What if i just change to slow ring, and untick automaticall download updates if data settings allow? That should keep me on GDR2 i assume

Edit: i was on Denim update 1, but i clicked fast ring and it told me that Windows 10 tech preview was ready to download, so there goes that idea.

Is there a ROM i can download and install manually?

I did this again to confirm in my other phone 720 and it actually worked out as it should be.....A quick way to check whether u will get GDR2 or WP10 via Insider preview is

1) if the Insider preview shows both fast and slow rings then u will be probably end up with WP10.
2) if it shows only fast ring then you are good to go as GDR2 will be installed.
If you really want GDR2 I suggest you to download cyan firmware via recovery tool and then upgrade it to denim via phone update and finally install Insider preview and check if the app offers only fast ring which is the only portal to WP 8.1 GDR2...
This is what I observed in while upgrading 720.
Good luck :)

Hard reset means u have to do it via phone i.e., in settings -> about -> reset.Do this after you have installed GDR2 which will opt you out of Insider preview.

gahbmwm5

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Keen observation here...as I feel that some code within the various Carriers also has input..I have yet found anyone with a AT&T Lumia 920 that was actually offered the GDR 2- 8.1.2 upgrade option (without any xda forum flashed ROM)..But I will 'once again' install Windows Insider, and see what 'tracks' it does offer...I'm pretty confident that it will offer me both 'fast & slow' tracks/rings...lol!
Also for my clarification, if I install Windows Insider (again), I can check which 'rings/tracks' it gives me....without having to worry about getting Windows 10 TP Build as long as I don't check an option..?? Thanks

Last edited:

Conan143

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
Also for my clarification, if I install Windows Insider (again), I can check which 'rings/tracks' it gives me....without having to worry about getting Windows 10 TP Build as long as I don't check an option..?? Thanks

Yes you can as long as u don't check the options and agree the terms you are fine :)

gahbmwm5

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
fd99a76f8c4349c80f35fd737254b467.png

Darn it...oh well will just have to keep patiently waiting for official AT&T Denim update...

miodrage

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
Accidentalyy I too downloaded Win10TP and got a brick... After an hour of agony, I finally could do a hard reset, and wanted to see what Win10 looks like on 930 (already have it on L530 which is my test device). Well, after another 45 minutes of trying to get the phone to work, I lost the last of my patience, and returned the phone to 8.1 via Windows phone recovery tool. Since I did miss the GDR2, I reinstalled Windows Insider, and it normally gave me the option to enroll to fast ringer, which I did again, and then checked for updates and the phone gave me GDR2.
I am not kidding around anymore with Win10.

gahbmwm5

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
@miodrage, After Windows Insider was installed, did it only give you a 'Fast track' option, but no 'Slow track' option? Very curious here, as I have even brought this up @Thurrott.com-->where a lot of L-930 users were still having issues trying to get Windows Insider app to offer the 8.1.2 GDR2 Build...some were upgraded directly to Windows 10 Mobile TP Build...lol
Man I would love to get 8.1.2 GDR2 on my AT&T L-920...lol
Thanks..I'll even posted this question to Paul Thurrott..he is on AT&T and got GDR2 Update in both his L-930 & L-830..

gahbmwm5

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Apologies for the double post, but just found this: For those Lumia devices not getting 8.1.2 GDR 2 Option-->check-->About-->Insider App: If it says: Branch WPB_CXE-R1-->Then you will not get update. Only WPB_CXE-R2 will! If any of our keen members can translate German:
drwindows.de/content/6126/windows-10-preview-fuer-phones-brangt.windows.html
Now, how can we change our Windows Insider app (mine =R1)
to Branch WPB_CXE-R2 ?!?

Conan143

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
Apologies for the double post, but just found this: For those Lumia devices not getting 8.1.2 GDR 2 Option-->check-->About-->Insider App: If it says: Branch WPB_CXE-R1-->Then you will not get update. Only WPB_CXE-R2 will! If any of our keen members can translate German:
drwindows.de/content/6126/windows-10-preview-fuer-phones-brangt.windows.html
Now, how can we change our Windows Insider app (mine =R1)
to Branch WPB_CXE-R2 ?!?

Hi dude
A quick question does your phone received Official Denim update from AT&T?

If not i want you to do some things provided if you are okay with it

1) I want you to go back to official version via Windows Phone Recovery tool. Check if there are any official updates in the phone update.
If there are no updates install Windows insider app and check the update branch you are currently on in the about setting.
If it shows main branch then you may have chances for GDR2 installation.

2) Now since your phone is not on Denim. We will need to update the current OS version to Denim (only OS no Firmware) via Preview for Developers App. Download the app and enroll and check for any updates in the phone update. Install the updates and after that unenroll in the PFD app.
Now check the update branch you are currently on which will change to another branch.

3) Now the major step after unenrolling from the preview for developers app..Open the Insider Preview app and check for any preview builds..If it shows only fast ring to you then are good to go.

Finally i want to say one thing all the process described above was a pure speculation on my end. Do this only if you intended to try.

Note : Report the branch status to me in each step for clarification on my end.

Good luck and notify me about the status on your end :)

gahbmwm5

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Hey, do you have a download link for the latest version of the Microsoft Phone Recovery Tool..?
I already have the latest Lumia Software Recovery tool on my laptop, and have used it very successfully in the past...

Cannot find a link anywhere for the latest Microsoft Phone Recovery Tool...though???

Conan143

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
Hey, do you have a download link for the latest version of the Microsoft Phone Recovery Tool..?
I already have the latest Lumia Software Recovery tool on my laptop, and have used it very successfully in the past...

Cannot find a link anywhere for the latest Microsoft Phone Recovery Tool...though???

Windows Phone Recovery Tool

No matter which tool you use either Lumia or Windows Phone recovery tool they both download the latest firmware residing in the Microsoft or Nokia Servers.

gahbmwm5

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
1) I want you to go back to official version via Windows Phone Recovery tool. Check if there are any official updates in the phone update.
If there are no updates install Windows insider app and check the update branch you are currently on in the about setting.
If it shows main branch then you may have chances for GDR2 installation.

Just flashed back to AT&T 8.1-->OS:8.10.123.890, same Cyan firmware: 3051.5009.1425.2001
Installed Windows Insider App--->About: Branch: WPMAIN
So I should choose Fast Track---->and see if it indeed picks up 8.1.2 GDR 2......keeping my fingers crossed!! lol!!

wp_ss_20150520_0001.png

Am doing this approach prior to installing Developer for Preview app....and performing the 4-5 updates...see what happens...lol

First update:Fast Track_First Update.jpg

Last edited:

gahbmwm5

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Darn it...well Conan143 it was worth the ole college try, but after the OS: 8.10.14219.341 successful update--->going into the Window Insider App->About:Branch: WPB_CXE-R1 !!!
Oh well, it was fun..and thanks m8 for your time and efforts!!

What is quite bizarre, is that I went through the site:
http://www.drwindows.de/content/6126-windows-10-preview-fuer-phones-bringt-windows.html

And within the 16 Pages of comments...There were Lumia 920 devices that also showed: About:Branch: WPB_CXE-R1--->and received 8.1.2 GDR 2 update...lol

Last edited:

Conan143

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
Darn it...well Conan143 it was worth the ole college try, but after the OS: 8.10.14219.341 successful update--->going into the Window Insider App->About:Branch: WPB_CXE-R1 !!!
Oh well, it was fun..and thanks m8 for your time and efforts!!

What is quite bizarre, is that I went through the site:
Windows 10 Preview f?r Phones bringt Windows Phone 8. 1 GDR 2 durch die Hintert?r - Dr. Windows

And within the 16 Pages of comments...There were Lumia 920 devices that also showed: About:Branch: WPB_CXE-R1--->and received 8.1.2 GDR 2 update...lol

I am afraid you have done wrong seems like a misunderstanding on your end. I think i haven't explained this thoroughly..So it's on my end too..But anyway redo these steps if you intend to...No you should do it... as you said you love troubleshooting.

1) Flash back to AT&T 8.1-->OS:8.10.123.890, same Cyan firmware: 3051.5009.1425.2001. (I asked to install windows insider app to confirm that you are on the main branch and I never said to select the rings either fast or slow..so don't choose the options at this step in windows insider)

2) Install Developer preview app and check for updates and you have to get denim os update from it. (Check the branch you are currently on using windows insider app now the branch changes from main branch to another branch)

3)After all the updates from phone update installed unenroll in the Developer preview app and Now check whether the Windows Insider offers only fast ring if it does then proceed by selecting fast ring.

Note : In step one and two don't choose the rings from Windows Insider app becoz that was just to check the update branch on which you are currently on.

Good luck.

miodrage

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
@gahbmwm5 I only have Fast track in Windows Insider in my 930. Mine is a Hungarian CV, dunno if that makes any difference.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss