My 1520 died (SIM error). What should I get?

cba191

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
I loved my 1520. It died though, and I don't want to spend a lot on a replacement because of the new phones on the horizon. What should I get? I'm using my old 920 that has battery issues for now. It doesn't have an SD card slot, which is killing me right now.

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Get the 1520 fixed ...

IF it wasn't suffering from the phantom touch issues (or anything else) - inquire about getting it repaired. Anything else will be a disappointment.

I know, I REALLLLLLY missed my 1520 when it had to be repaired. Now, it's like a new phone.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
They can be purchased used or refurbished for around $230 on a good deal. That may cost less or be worth it to not have downtime for a repair. I'd hold out and get one of those or repair to see what the nest large flagship will be. The rumor from a while back said it was a 5.7 inch screen though. It will be a downgrade for us if true.

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
They can be purchased used or refurbished for around $230 on a good deal. That may cost less or be worth it to not have downtime for a repair. I'd hold out and get one of those or repair to see what the nest large flagship will be. The rumor from a while back said it was a 5.7 inch screen though. It will be a downgrade for us if true.

Thought of that, issue is so many used L1520's suffering from phantom tap issues ...

IF you get a used / refurb without that, well worth it.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Thought of that, issue is so many used L1520's suffering from phantom tap issues ...

IF you get a used / refurb without that, well worth it.

But if you got one with phantom taps you could switch the screen. So you even could buy one with a defect screen. Because changing the screen is I think not that difficult.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
But if you got one with phantom taps you could switch the screen. So you even could buy one with a defect screen. Because changing the screen is I think not that difficult.

The ones with busted screens sell for cheap. Not sure how easy it is to transfer the needed internals. It may be less work than changing a screen.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
The ones with busted screens sell for cheap. Not sure how easy it is to transfer the needed internals. It may be less work than changing a screen.

I also did not check youtube but to get inside you need to disassemble it anyway. But indeed that's also possible.

But if you open the 820, 920 and 625 then one part is the screen and the other part the "body"
(And with screen I mean the lcd and touch)

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
A NEW digitizer / LED assembly will cost ~ $175. USD, in the US having PALCO fix it will cost ~ $200. ...

That being said, if you can get a cracked screen phone (with nothing else wrong) cheaply enough, it may be worthwhile to go this route.

However, if something else is wrong (cracked screen usually means dropped phone), or Battery is waning (new battery ~ $50.) that is not feasible. You roll the dice, when you buy non-working / cracked screen ...

I read something about Microsoft exchanging busted phones for refurbs, allegedly for ~ $150. = $99 for insurance, $50 deduct for refurb phone ... don't know how true, might be worth checking out.

Check this http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-1520/354933-lumia-1520-broken-screen.html

Last edited:

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
IF I read correctly, YES, dunno, worth checking out ...

Read the thread I posted, guy said he got a new / refurb for $100!

I didn't see too much in there other than the Microsoft store offered to replace it for $100. Since I have a busted screen I'll try my local MS store and see what they say. My guess is I'll just get some confused looks.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Considering there is no good replacement for the 1520 it would be a good gesture for them to offer that deal. I'm not updating to any of the currently available Windows phones.

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
I wish our warranties could be longer for defects, especially since there is nothing new to "upgrade" to at the moment without taking some heavy losses

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb