Gears reboot loop - not sure what to do next

EpidemikE1

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
So I attempted to install the Windows 10 preview on my device and the gears were going and progress bar was at like 5%. I plug into wall charger and woke up in the middle of the night to check. Still at the same bar level. I unplug from wall charger and get into this reboot loop where I keep getting the gears screen.

So I decided something went fubar and tried a reset by holding down Volume Down and Power buttons. I get the vibrate, let go and back into the loop again.

I open up LSRT and see if I can reset that way but get nothing in terms of device connectivity. I try its suggestion of "my phone does not start or respond" and wait for it to connect. Still nothing. Then get a suggestion to hit the power button and volume down button. That also does not work.

I then decide to try this:
1.While gears are spinning, Press VOLUME DOWN and POWER BUTTON together, keep pressed till phone goes blank, vibrates and NOKIA appears and then release the buttons.

2. Immediately press following buttons in sequence ONE by ONE i.e. press release..press release :

VOLUME UP
VOLUME DOWN
POWER
VOLUME DOWN

Now this works but all it seems to be doing is powering down the phone. When I connect the USB cable, it immediately powers on and Im back to the loop.

Ive also removed my SIM and SD card and did all the above with the same results.

The one thing that I didnt do and probably should was wipe the device before doing the upgrade. I wouldnt think though that this would be the cause.

Any suggestions? This is my work phone so I kind of need it running, lol.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Just to be sure did you follow the instructions fully?

My Lumia stays at the spinning gears - Microsoft - UK

I also found something a bit strange with regards to resetting to WP8.1 from W10. When I had the USB cable connected to the computer and the plugged into the phone it wouldn't recognise it. However, if I plugged it in the phone and then the computer it seemed to work.

No idea why it would act like that but it's happened to me several times now. I know that doesn't seem logical...

Make sure you have downloaded the latest version of LRT as well. Make sure you give the computer time to install the phone driver.

How can I recover/reset/restore my phone software? - Microsoft - USA

EpidemikE1

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Thanks N_Larue

I was running LSRT ver 5.07 which I is the latest.

Good news, I finally got it into a state where LSRT could establish a connection. I think the key factor preventing me to connect was the USB port on my MBPr. I've seen it before where the one on the right causes a BSoD while using a serial-to-usb dongle and VPN client at the same time. Again I have a feeling that was the cause here because as soon as I plugged into the left, all the wonkiness stopped and I was able to get things going.

UPDATE:
I tried doing the windows 10 preview but got the same results. An endless loop after the windows 10 install gets to about 10-15%. Going do another hard reset. I guess the latest version of Windows 10 doesn't like my phone. I noticed that my Lumia runs very hot during this. Ive seen a similar issue viewing Vines from 6sec and it was a problem because on occasion the phone locked up. No more attempts at the fast version, next try will be slow builds.

Last edited:

ScrubbyXD

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
The best W10 TP experience is on the 635. If you want to play with it pick one up for under $50. I tell this to everyone, spread the word.

ScrubbyXD

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
If your on at&t head to walmart, $50
Other carriers: eBay, unlocked versions can be had for under $50.
Amazon has a deal on them too I believe.

EpidemikE1

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
The best W10 TP experience is on the 635. If you want to play with it pick one up for under $50. I tell this to everyone, spread the word.
Great suggestion. I was hoping to work with it on my daily driver but as this thread shows, bad idea.

I think the most frustrating part of the issue was that their was nothing indicating an issue besides the infin-loop.

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site

I picked up a 635 at Walmart yesterday and put W10 on it. Completely different experience than W10 on my 930 (which was rolled back within an hour). I am actually having fun playing with it. I can now see the potential of W10 and will wait patiently for a usable build to throw on my 930. Thanks so much for the suggestion of using the 635 as the test phone.

Antonin Janus

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
I'm having the same issue as you did but I can't seem to be able to go back. LSRT sometimes discovers my phone (when I do something wonky like Volume Up or Volume Down + Camera) but when I try to reinstall the software, it fails on 0%.

Can you give me a step-by-step? I'm pretty much on the verge of rebuying the phone :/

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos