Can I get some help with a scrolling Lag on my Lumia 630?

luMia630

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site
Lumia 630 scrolling lag

Hi does anyone also experiencing stutter or lag when swiping with finger on the screen that stops as soon as you lift your finger? Its most noticible on start screen. When I just flick the screen everything is smooth but when swiping with finger on screen scrolling is sort of jumpy like as if screen cant tracking touch properly. I just want to know if thats caused because of low refresh rate screen or is it somehow normal for lumia phones or is there some serious problem with my screen?

luMia630

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site
Re: Lumia 630 scrolling lag

I have win 8.1 latest denim update, but i have noticed this "issue" on cyan. I have also tried win 10 preview and even when last version was kind of lag-free on homescreen this strange jumpy sensation was styl there

CapoFantasma97

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site

On my Nokia Lunia 1020 especially on apps like Whatsapp, it creates "swiping lag" when the memory is almost full.
Eliminating some junk (apps, games and files I never use) to get space solved the problem for me every time, but reappears when the memory gets saturated again.

luMia630

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site

On my Nokia Lunia 1020 especially on apps like Whatsapp, it creates "swiping lag" when the memory is almost full.
Eliminating some junk (apps, games and files I never use) to get space solved the problem for me every time, but reappears when the memory gets saturated again.

Thats actualy interesting though i always asumed that in contrast to android on Windows phone there is no need to care about apps running on background or how many apps are installed :) but on the other hand lags appear even right after factory reset without restoring backup and with no apps installed :(

luMia630

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site

By the Way I have already tried all resets, cleaning screen, removing sd card, turn on and off magnifier, turning on kids corner (which i also find as a fix on forum :))

luMia630

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site

here is video of the problem i hope you can see the stutter there :)
It was recordet on friends iphone 6 in slow motion 240fps, as you can se finger is moving smoothly, that blur on screen is caused by low refresh rate of 630. Look at the contrast of scrolling when finger is on the screen and swiping without finger in the end of video :)

luMia630

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site
i have tried removing sd card and do factory reset without it and without restoring backup, at first it feels slightly better but stutter was styl there so i think it was more of a placebo effect, than after inserting card back it also feels like stutter get slightly worse but again placebo :D... so there is styl no solution there, but on the other hand i noticed how star screen background helps hide jumpy screen at least a bit :D

anon(9152079)

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site
I believe it's because you have too many tiles in your Start Screen. The L630 has few RAM to keep too much stuff in memory.

Join some of your apps inside folders (dragging a tile over another) so to have less tiles right away. On mine the tiles used to take a few milliseconds before showing up after scrolling and this fixed.

luMia630

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site
I believe it's because you have too many tiles in your Start Screen. The L630 has few RAM to keep too much stuff in memory.

Join some of your apps inside folders (dragging a tile over another) so to have less tiles right away. On mine the tiles used to take a few milliseconds before showing up after scrolling and this fixed.

hi thank you i have tried to unpin some tiles or colect them into folders and strange thing happened, from time to time now scrolling on start screen feels much smoother and than it start to stutter again. Acording to other posts on forums there is a certain natural stuttering during scrolling with finger on screen on all lumias so i asume it wont get much better, but now there are moments when stuttering is less noticible (wierd sinc now i have lot of apps installed and after factory reset stuttering was more noticible) :) so we are finaly geting somewhere, its almost like this animations and stuff have to be cached or something, it always stutter more when i change from two to three colums of middle sized tiles or swap the order but after a while it gets smoother and smoother

anon(9152079)

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site
Here even with three columns and 2 pages of contents it goes super smooth. I then noticed that I swipe with my thumb sideways and not with its point like you, when I swiped like you it did have a jagged movement.

What I could conclude is that with the point of the finger it suffers too much friction, all thanks to our finger prints, and this makes the thumb shake, even if you may not notice, and this shaking is transmitted to the phone.

luMia630

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site
Here even with three columns and 2 pages of contents it goes super smooth. I then noticed that I swipe with my thumb sideways and not with its point like you, when I swiped like you it did have a jagged movement.

What I could conclude is that with the point of the finger it suffers too much friction, all thanks to our finger prints, and this makes the thumb shake, even if you may not notice, and this shaking is transmitted to the phone.

Wow I can't believe it, it's actually true. Thank you very much. I've tried side of my thumb as you've said and it's smooth I can't believe that problem is at our fingertips instead of system itself, which also explain why some people see it and some doesn't. That was excellent suggestion thank you again you truly calmed my OCD mind, now I can finally fully enjoy my phone again :)

luMia630

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site

I've found interesting thing, not sure if it proves anything but at least it could be a potential reason for this scroll jitter. I've looked at how WP work with touch and find out that they actually differentiate scrolling by dragging finger across the screen which they call simply DRAG, and just flicking the screen to scroll which they specify as FLICK. That's a fact so there is actual difference between dragging and flicking which some of us see. Now remember that this micro stutter looks like a content of the screen that is being scrolled sort of jumps number of times. Well Microsoft specify that when people start moving finger across the screen manipulation event called ManipulationStart occurs and than during drag ManipulationDelta event occurs number of times until movement stops, to notify system where exactly users finger is. Did you see this certain similarity there? System deals with touch by firing delta event multiple times like screen jumps multiple times, but when we just flick the screen and lift our finger from screen no delta event occurs as same as there is no jumping of content that has been scrolled. I know it could be nothing and I really don't understand how WP work and how rich works but it sounds pretty concurrent to me. Also if that's how it is, it would mean that this phenomenon is actually how system itself works and thus all windows phone devices as well. And that would mean that some of us are seeing things or others doesn't see this thing that is clearly there :D. Otherwise power of placebo effect ;). What do you thing could this be proof that this scrolling jitter affects all Lumia phones and possible source of this "issue"?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jallymonz