Will there be a successor for Lumia 1020 ???

isaac lee ishida

Jan 12, 2015
Visit site
Can anyone or Microsoft tell me honestly, whether there will be a successor for Lumia 1020 ??? Otherwise I do not need to wait for the Lumia Phone anymore. I will buy any Android offering a better camera in the future.

rbar3154

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
Re: There will be a successor for Lumia 1020 ???

At the moment 1020 is the best camera 📷 phone 📱. You don't have to wait to other phone 📱 just get the 1020.

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site

Can anyone or Microsoft tell me honestly, whether there will be a successor for Lumia 1020 ???
Microsoft probably can tell you, but they won't.
There's nothing announced.
The LG G4 looks to be about as good as you'll get at the moment. Anything new from Microsoft is, at absolute best, several months away.

isaac lee ishida

Jan 12, 2015
Visit site
I already have Lumia 1020, i buy it at first day they launch. But i hope can they can upgrade Lumia 1020 Hardware, because recent hardware make Lumia 1020 pretty slow for action. For example the camera a bit slow to start...

azmin kamarudzaman

May 25, 2015
Visit site
Waiting sooo long for new successor of Lumia 1020. I'm feel sooo frustrated.
I will not buy any smartphone with camera lower than 41mp. So please Microsoft...
Do something about this... Cut some red tapes...
Just put that camera spec to the new flagship high end phone.. and it is done..

Please give us something that is solid so people like me who are not tech savvy can enjoyed the reason why we bought that phone on the first place.

Brian McMahon

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
I don't think we'll see a successor to the 1020, a flagship phone or several yes but nothing like the 1020 or 808 that came before it. It's not all about megapixels now and this will be evident in the new phones that come out. I don't think you'll see another 41mp phone, 20mp max.

The panasonic CM1 is as close to a 1020 successor as we will see at the moment and that sports a 1" sensor
, we may see software improvements and innovations in that respect from MS but the 1020 was and still is a niche device and the market wasn't huge for it, at this stage in the transition to windows 10 and the future MS is looking for it would be suicide to throw R&D into a device that won't sell in the numbers they need.

Last edited:

nohra

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site

Microsoft probably can tell you, but they won't.
There's nothing announced.
The LG G4 looks to be about as good as you'll get at the moment. Anything new from Microsoft is, at absolute best, several months away.

The G4 looks interesting, but it looks like it's only available with Android. Is it supposed to be coming with Windows as well?

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
I strongly believe whatever camera/camera features that a 1020 successor would have should just be put/implemented into the main Microsoft flagship and main Microsoft flagship XL

milkyway

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
i don't there will be anything higher than 9xx. so they will put the best camera they can come up with in the 940/940XL. I seriously doubt that the 940 will have a camera hump like the 1020, so the sensor will be smaller than the 1020. It's a flagship and so it has to be as thin and aesthetically stunning as possible.
G4, Note 4 and Galaxy S6 show how a great camera can be realized only with software and camera algorithm improvements.

Only time will tell if the camera in the 940 will be anything as good / better / worse than the 1020's camera.

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Whilst the trend for flagships may be to be breakably thin and humpless (like fashion models I guess, just less cokey) there's no rule that says they can't have a bump. I'd be all for OIS/Zeiss/Xenon in any form factor. But let's not get carried away, the 940 is, at this point, just rumours. But a few more rumours than any new 10x0 device.

George Kyr

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
The size of the sensor is more important than MP...even a 16 MP 1 inch sensor would give better photos than our phone (so long as the lenses is of the same quality).

SanPedroUK

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
I know the 1020 takes great pics but that's not just to do with the number of megapixels and more to do with the sensor size right? I'd rather they put what was in the 808 back into a camera and knocked the MP down to 12/16MP. That would still give you around an A3 sized image at a decent resolution. I have a Sony with the same 1" sensor as the CM1 and that takes superb images. Easily as good as a 'proper' DSLR in anything but very poor light. ISO is plenty usable to 3200 if you don't mind some noise. I think a lot of photographers like the idea of a phone as a full time replacement to carrying a small compact, but you can't defeat the laws of physics. My 930 takes decent pictures for a phone but is way out of its depth when the lights go down. Wider apertures can mitigate against sensor size, but then you need a bigger lens. There's talk of Sony developing curved sensors so that the light from the lens can be better utilised on a given sized sensor... basically meaning that the light at the edges of the circle hit the sensor at the same intensity as light in the middle. Cold be very interesting. Pixel shifting is another are that could show real promise. It's already in use in the latest Olympus EM5 to create 41Mp images from a 16Mp sensor. Only downside is that it needs to be on a tripod to work as the processs is too slow. But give it time...

In the meantime, I believe better software will realise better images. I was pretty taken aback by some promo images for the G4 taken by a pro photographer. I can't make a post with links just yet but search Colby Brown and LG G4 and you'll find them.

Angry_Mushroom

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
No. There won't be a 1040. I cannot see it happening by any measure right now. It's a very niche device who's claim to fame is dubious in the face of new gimmicky tag lines from other phone makers. The Lumia would have to stand very far ahead of the pack in this case, and I don't think a xenon flash and many pixels would be enough to push it to success.

Basically... the field has not stood still in the past 3 years, and I can't see Microsoft putting in the work to release a true successor that stands above the competition.

Bao Li

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Meh, If they come out with a successor, great. I'll buy it. If not, I'm probably not going to move on. I'll keep my 1020 as my personal line until it dies or I break it somehow. When this happens, the 1020 will have been my first and last Windows Phone. I bought it only for the camera and was able to put up with the OS these past 2 years. If it dies and there's no successor, I'm afraid that's it for me and Windows Phone.

I've been carrying it around with me on vacation everywhere and have been taking great photos with it. Sure it's slow but I don't need those quick snaps on vacation. When I do, my work phone is a S6 Edge. Both are adequate for me to leave the point and shoot at home.

milkyway

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
sure, a bigger sensor means better photos. but my point was that Galaxy S6, Note 4 and G4 don't have a huge sensor like the 1020 but are on the same level as the 1020 (yep, I said it).
so the 940 (or whatever it will be called) can have maybe a sensor similar in size to 930 - or slightly bigger - but can top the 1020's camera performance with highly optimized algorithms

isaac lee ishida

Jan 12, 2015
Visit site
I like the design of LG G4, but I never use LG products before. I live in a country in the Asian region, in my country it is very difficult to find LG store. There are 2 stores Microsoft has operated in my country last week ... only two stores at this time. But I still can get Microsoft Phone at NOKIA stores. But there are many SAMSUNG stores in here.

azmin kamarudzaman

May 25, 2015
Visit site
Let me do simple math... with current 2015 technology 20mp camera can produce pictures like 41mp camera which been made in 2013..
If that 41mp camera uses 2015 tech, what kind of picture will it make? 50mp? 60mp? I don't know... but I'm sure the picture's qualities would be better.

I wonder why Microsoft spend billions to buy Nokia and acquired all the technologies including that camera's hardware applications just to dump it into dustbin? Come on Microsoft... I know you are better than that.. I know you need a flagship camera with wow factors to penetrate high end phone market. Software upgrades are something that I cannot see.. I wonder if a new lumia flagship phone with 20mp camera will sold people with minimal hitech knowledge but with deep pocket to buy it.. Where is the X factor in it? Please.. tell me...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786