Upgrading existing 64GB with 128GB card on my Nokia 1520, how can I move all of my content from one card to the other?

RusG

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Upgrading existing 64GB with 128GB card on my Nokia 1520

Hello Team,

I'm planning to replace my existing 64GB card with 128GB card. I understand I could simply copy my photos, videos and other "visible" content from old card to new using my PC. Not clear about applications installed on the card though. I can not make those non-hidden on my PC no matter what I try.

Any advise how to copy ALL content from old to new card?

Another way I think could be backup my phone to the OneDrive and then remove old card, insert new and do a phone hard reset? I believe restore should put all my original stuff back including apps, photos, videos etc on the new card or I'm missing something here and there are an easy way?

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you. :sweaty:

0000alex0000

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
Re: Upgrading existing 64GB with 128GB card on my Nokia 1520

Assuming your phone storage has enough space... Move app from SD card to phone, backup your visible contents then swap the card, then restore

RusG

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site

Thank you for the reply! Unfortunately, there is no enough space in internal phone storage :cry:

j o e l

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site

For apps, I would move them to the phone using the Storage Sense utilities. If you have a lot of apps, I would first uninstall the non-essential ones, i.e. those apps that you wouldn't mind losing data for, or those apps you don't really use. This would make the process quicker.

Pop the new card in then use the Storage Sense app again to move apps back in. Unlike resetting the phone and reinstalling a backup, you wouldn't lose app data.

RusG

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site

Thank you Joel! I was under impression that cloud backup also takes care of app data. I guess I was wrong... :angry:

RusG

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site

Team,

Any other suggestions besides the last one of moving existing apps to internal memory and back? I really have no enough space and hard time to choose which app to uninstall. Believe it or not, using actively pretty much all of them.

Thank you in advance! :sweaty:

mjyumping

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site

Move the apps and games to phone then transfer to the new card. But this time, make them in parts, after you transferred the apps to phone, changed to the new SD card then copy the apps to SD card, then after that, put back the old SD card, then do the same for the remaining apps

noersetiawan

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site

Try to move all your folder in your old SD card to your new SD card, including the WPSystem folder, where the apps are located, it's a 'hidden' AND 'protected system' folder, you need to plug your SD card directly to PC, not through your phone to access it, and change your File Explorer setting accordingly.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site

The only other way is to do a backup from apps and settings and then a hard reset (with) your new SD card.
But in this case all the apps are installed again (downloaded from the store automatically) but you will have to sign in in several apps again, may loose some game "achievements" and if you have an app which is not published anymore you will "loose" it.
Moving them to your internal memory will be faster but you have to do more "work" (push buttons etc) the hard reset will take longer but it's "automatically".

Bye the way coping music and doc etc will go faster if you but both SD cards in your PC. Copying to a SD card in a phone will be considerable slower.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site

Try to move all your folder in your old SD card to your new SD card, including the WPSystem folder, where the apps are located, it's a 'hidden' AND 'protected system' folder, you need to plug your SD card directly to PC, not through your phone to access it, and change your File Explorer setting accordingly.

That will not work you can not "copy/past" apps from one SD card to another.
For more info see http://forums.windowscentral.com/no...ap-have-lost-all-my-apps-what-went-wrong.html

RusG

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site

Thanks so much to all of those who replied good people!

:winktongue::winktongue:

RusG

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site

FINAL UPDATE:

the proposed way by Harrie-S worked. :sweaty: Note, it seems only the way to have apps moved between different memory cards if you have no room in internal memory left to swap those back.

Thanks again to all who tried to help! :winktongue:

RusG

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Not at all! I've got 128GB SanDisk from AMAZON for $79.99. Works good so far, no delays or app lagging observed...:wink:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss