Has Anybody Gone From 930 to 830?

jay6600

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
im a 930 owner and i just purchased a 830 and its lovely i dont know which i prefer best , in loving the micro sd and replaceable battery on the 830 :) but i carnt decide which to use as main phone currently using the 930 but that 830 keeps begging me to pick ut up

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
I went from a 930 to 830. I think I've mentioned in other threads that the primary driver for me was lack of LTE. I really didn't think that would be a big deal, but as it turned out, it was. Mostly it is because I travel for work, and tether my surface to my phone. I had an electronic submittal that almost didn't get in because of it took forever to do on 4G.

So, the LTE was the key driver for me.

As for what I miss: everything. I think the 930 was the best phone I've ever had, and I wish more than anything I didn't have to give it up.

I like the 830 just fine, but the 930 was a true flagship. IMHO, one of the best phones you can buy, on any OS.

With the 830, you get glance, an SD card, and LTE. Those are all very good things.

With the 930, you get a fantastic screen, great speeds, great camera (though the 830 is very good also), and a sense that you've arrived. :)

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I went from a 930 to 830. I think I've mentioned in other threads that the primary driver for me was lack of LTE. I really didn't think that would be a big deal, but as it turned out, it was. Mostly it is because I travel for work, and tether my surface to my phone. I had an electronic submittal that almost didn't get in because of it took forever to do on 4G.

So, the LTE was the key driver for me.

As for what I miss: everything. I think the 930 was the best phone I've ever had, and I wish more than anything I didn't have to give it up.

I like the 830 just fine, but the 930 was a true flagship. IMHO, one of the best phones you can buy, on any OS.

With the 830, you get glance, an SD card, and LTE. Those are all very good things.

With the 930, you get a fantastic screen, great speeds, great camera (though the 830 is very good also), and a sense that you've arrived. :)

I really love my 830, honestly do. But I fell in love with a gold/white 930 I ordered and set-up for someone. Spent a few days with it and did NOT want to give it up. However, as you said, no LTE. But after doing plenty of speed tests, I find that H+ is often just as fast, if not often faster because the network is less congested (I'm on T-Mobile). Only upload speeds were consistently a bit faster on LTE by my tests.

I'm tempted to get a gold 930 of my own considering I probably won't miss LTE. But do I give up LTE AND Glance? I'm also tempted to get a gold 830, but I'd have no LTE with that either. Decisions...

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
I really love my 830, honestly do. But I fell in love with a gold/white 930 I ordered and set-up for someone. Spent a few days with it and did NOT want to give it up. However, as you said, no LTE. But after doing plenty of speed tests, I find that H+ is often just as fast, if not often faster because the network is less congested (I'm on T-Mobile). Only upload speeds were consistently a bit faster on LTE by my tests.

I'm tempted to get a gold 930 of my own considering I probably won't miss LTE. But do I give up LTE AND Glance? I'm also tempted to get a gold 830, but I'd have no LTE with that either. Decisions...

Since you like the 930 more I guess you can cancel out the gold 830 right away, since you like 930>830, the 930 comes in gold also, and they both have no LTE...
but what I need to know is, how can you tell from coverage maps where I will get a H signal when traveling? I don't wanna travel to another state and find that that area drops people without LTE down to edge..That's what I'm afraid of. ( I'm on cricket/ AT&T btw) So on the map if an area is colored to have LTE, does that mean the area automatically has a good H+ signal too?

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
I have both a 930 and an 820 (820 > 830 except camera). The 930 certainly beats the 820 though I miss the robust back plate that Nokia made as an accessory for the 820. Being outside of the US I have 3G and 4G (US trans: H+ & LTE) on both phones. The 930 is certainly the best, but it will be the robust 820 I take on my mountain climbing holiday in a couple of weeks.

I can't understand how the release of the 930 has been so crap in the US. I think MS have pretty much abandoned the US market for phones due to lack of interest. Pretty annoying.

Weirdly, due to differences in terms, the 930 does support 4G in both the US and everywhere else. This is because:

US: G/E = 2G, H = 3G, H+/LTE = 4G

The World: G/E = 2G, H/H+ = 3G, LTE = 4G

Hilarious.

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
(820 > 830 except camera). Hilarious.

I don't think it is as simple as 820>830

The 820 has the deeper blacks due to AMOLED, but the 830 has a more modern sized display ( 5+ is now pretty much the norm for smartphones nowadays, for good ones at least), along with a higher resolution. Also the 830 has IMO a better build quality, and is aesthetically more appealing, but that is just my opinion. Also the 830 will have better battery life.

So I think the 820vs830 phone fight is very much subjective more than one phone single handedly beating the other one brutally. It's about what the user finds more important

Just my 2 cents

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
The LTE or EDGE with no H+ inbetween issue is really a T-Mo phenomena. I wouldn't worry about it on Cricket.

Ok thanks

So
H+ equals 4G LTE
H equals 4G
And so forth right?
So the areas on Cricket/AT&T's coverage map where 4G is available I will get H, and places with LTE I will get H+?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
LTE is LTE

4G is the mask they put on 3.5G or H+... That is why it is nicknamed "Faux G" as a joke.

If the map says LTE that is what you get. If the map says 4G you get H+. There really is no more 3G in the US on GSM networks.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Since you like the 930 more I guess you can cancel out the gold 830 right away, since you like 930>830, the 930 comes in gold also, and they both have no LTE...
but what I need to know is, how can you tell from coverage maps where I will get a H signal when traveling? I don't wanna travel to another state and find that that area drops people without LTE down to edge..That's what I'm afraid of. ( I'm on cricket/ AT&T btw) So on the map if an area is colored to have LTE, does that mean the area automatically has a good H+ signal too?

I used an RM-984 (international Lumia 830, no LTE here) on T-Mobile for several month and was almost always on H or H+. Very seldom was I ever on Edge. And speeds were quite formidable.

It'll depend mostly on where you're located, but it seems those who took issue with their 930 not having LTE were actually on AT&T for the most part. If you're in an area with good T-Mobile coverage, you'll likely get faster H+ speeds than AT&T has. In fact it's often faster than the congested LTE networks (though upload speeds are consistently faster on LTE). If you travel a lot, you'll have problems with T-Mobile's coverage in general... not necessarily an Edge vs H+ thing.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site

The 820 has the deeper blacks due to AMOLED, but the 830 has a more modern sized display ( 5+ is now pretty much the norm for smartphones nowadays, for good ones at least), along with a higher resolution. Also the 830 has IMO a better build quality, and is aesthetically more appealing, but that is just my opinion. Also the 830 will have better battery life.

So I think the 820vs830 phone fight is very much subjective more than one phone single handedly beating the other one brutally. It's about what the user finds more important

Just my 2 cents

Yeah, I've compared the 820 vis-a-vis the 830... 830 wins handily IMO. 920 vs 830 is a fairer fight.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
If only the 830 had an amoled display and an APU that was an upgrade to the 820's I may well have considered it. Thing is, the best it brought above the 820 would have been the increased resolution but they gave it an APU with weaker vid power, undermining the extra res. Not an attractive equation for me. The 820 has the same APU at the same speed as the 920. The only Lumia upgrade to the 820 I could find at upgrade time (phablets excluded) was the 930. It certainly has proven to be a good choice.

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
830 just beat out 928 as my backup.

Haha, I'm using a 928 right now. Still throughout these last two threads I've made still can't choose between the 930 or 830...

I don't care about glance or micro SD, I just prefer to have lots of onboard storage, and also I won't get let on either since I am not even considering the AT&T 830 as it only comes with the black metal frame, which IMO looks unsightly with the other colored backs... so it's come down to this

The 930- tighter more premium construction, sharper more vibrant screen, faster processor and better camera
The 830-slimmer design, with better battery life, and cheaper

lbeezy2188

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
If only the 830 had an amoled display and an APU that was an upgrade to the 820's I may well have considered it. Thing is, the best it brought above the 820 would have been the increased resolution but they gave it an APU with weaker vid power, undermining the extra res. Not an attractive equation for me. The 820 has the same APU at the same speed as the 920. The only Lumia upgrade to the 820 I could find at upgrade time (phablets excluded) was the 930. It certainly has proven to be a good choice.

I think the display is a matter of opinion. With a little tweaking in the settings a LCD screen can look just as good as amoled. Also the the 830 has a faster processor, bigger screen, and more features than any of the the original W8 phones.

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
I think the display is a matter of opinion. With a little tweaking in the settings a LCD screen can look just as good as amoled. Also the the 830 has a faster processor, bigger screen, and more features than any of the the original W8 phones.

I agree the display tech is a matter of opinion. tweaking can be done on an LCD to get AMOLED-ish colors, but there currently are no tweaks on a Lumia to deepen the blacks.. You either have a Lumia with good backs or you don't right now

Last edited:

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
If the data speed is not a concern (I am on AT&T as mentioned above, so it was an issue), the 930 is the winner, and it's not even a contest.

The 830 is half the price, so that could be a factor too. An 830 is more than half as good as a 930.

travis_valkyrie

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I tried to love the 930, but it just wasn't for me. The fixed storage and the camera was such a deal breaker. I know I'm gonna get flamed for the camera, but yes it's good in daylight conditions it's superb, but there's a purple hazing on the edges and the blacks becomes patchy in low light, just not as good as the older 92x, probably due to the sensor (it's the same with 1520).

So I sold it and got an 830, it's like a 920 in a 930 shell. Good phone to use until a W10 flagship comes out.

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Just my 2 cents

^ Want to add to this:

820 has a better SoC and a lower display resolution. Better overall real world performance, especially for games ;)
LCD is not as responsive as AMOLED (almost always the case), and it is running at a much higher resolution, therefore there is *occasional* perceptive "stuttering" when flicking through menus.

Microsoft relies heavily on Qualcomm composition for the UI. Newer SoC such as S400 features improved composition, and like any other company Microsoft focuses on what is new ;))) For what it is the Lumia 830 runs pretty smooth through menus. Since 640 has a S400 I am guessing that Windows 10 does not significantly change how UI elements are rendered .. EDIT: This is just one example! There are more :)) Lumia 830 has the future proof advantage over the 820

Additionally, L830 has improved Zeiss optics. Could be slightly noisier / less detailed due to the comparatively higher MP count and slightly smaller sensor, however the improved optics almost always make the 830 a win. Even the L920 cannot compete with the newer, thinner, sharper optics of the L830.

To break it all down: (Not the best list, but its a list)

820:

• Significantly cheaper used (on average)
  • Mostly* Faster SoC (i.e CPU, GPU, RAM, Internal Storage)
  • Lower Display Resolution, AMOLED
  • Slightly larger sensor

• The byproduct of refined technology and advanced engineering
  • Efficient SoC (Comparatively, the S400 is still inefficient compared to 2015 offerings)
  • Higher Display Resolution, LCD
  • Slightly smaller sensor, enhanced optics.
  • Slew of Qualcomm enhancements

I'm a big fan of the Lumia 830 build design, despite the housing construction. Lumia 820 is a unibody, which is also very attractive ...

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NunezGuad