Can I flash windows 8.1 update 2 on my Lumia 520.

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
I flashed a different mobile carrier onto my mobile I.e went from Vodafone branding to Three ireland branding. I know that flashing firmware is different to OS but I am just wondering since this process was simple I'm wondering can I get update 2 this way?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
That would require that Update 2 be officially available to the 520 before we can do that.

So no, you can't flash directly AFAIK.

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
That would require that Update 2 be officially available to the 520 before we can do that.

So no, you can't flash directly AFAIK.

Darn it!! I'd really like to have it on my phone. I like the GUI. I've seen many videos of it on youtube. Have you any idea of a release date?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Darn it!! I'd really like to have it on my phone. I like the GUI. I've seen many videos of it on youtube. Have you any idea of a release date?

Not for these WP8.0 phones, we're skipping directly to 10 unless it appears on any Preview program. (and I dont mean the luck/not-always-happening/not-supposed-to-happen Insider trick)

It's not that different besides settings is it?

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Not for these WP8.0 phones, we're skipping directly to 10 unless it appears on any Preview program. (and I dont mean the luck/not-always-happening/not-supposed-to-happen Insider trick)

It's not that different besides settings is it?

I know like it's only a menu that's changed I just like to have my phone updated to all updates, I had WP10TP and it was good but it wasn't without its bugs. I suppose ill wait for an official WP10 release. Really sad 😢 lol

slimchap

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
same here as I could not wait for the update 2 and tried the technical preview only to get the WIN10 and its trouble....

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
I flashed a different mobile carrier onto my mobile
I would've actually flashed a ROM with no branding, that would not have helped you get Update 2 but at least a clean OS. You can still get Update 2 with the post on the Ativ S forum. But I saw your comment that you were not able to succeed. I was able to do it back it back couple of times now. It really makes a difference in speed.

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
I would've actually flashed a ROM with no branding, that would not have helped you get Update 2 but at least a clean OS. You can still get Update 2 with the post on the Ativ S forum. But I saw your comment that you were not able to succeed. I was able to do it back it back couple of times now. It really makes a difference in speed.

I got as far as applying the custom xap and it said that it wasn't available even though it was on my sd card. So frustrating lol

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site

How would I go about finding a ROM without branding? Don't want to flash something that bricks my phone. There are so many ROMs out there for my RM... product code.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
How would I go about finding a ROM without branding? Don't want to flash something that bricks my phone. There are so many ROMs out there for my RM... product code

What's your product code? Flashing ROMs does not brick your device, at most it fails with a FFU error but that's about it.

Edit: BTW product code and variant are two different things

Last edited:

anaheiim

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site
@djeire84

RM-914 is the product type, not the product code ;)

As there is no IE CV ROM for the Lumia 520 (RM-914), you can flash for example 059S3T5 RM-914 VAR EURO1 GB CV.

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
@djeire84

RM-914 is the product type, not the product code ;)

As there is no IE CV ROM for the Lumia 520 (RM-914), you can flash for example 059S3T5 RM-914 VAR EURO1 GB CV.

Ah I see but wouldn't flashing a GB variant cause problems with updates in the future? Is that the proper ROM for my lumia. I will give it a go.

anaheiim

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site
Ah I see but wouldn't flashing a GB variant cause problems with updates in the future? Is that the proper ROM for my lumia. I will give it a go.
I don't know if the GB CV variant is among the first served in terms of update, but even if this is not the case, there is no problem for future updates.

If you want really an ROM that will be among the first to get the updates, so flash the ROM that integrates the FI CV variant, because in general for the Lumia devices it is this variant that is the first to get the updates.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss