Windows 10 for Lumia Icon

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I think uninstalling is the only way to turn it off.

I uninstalled it and it still says I have an update ready to install. I've turned off automatic phone updates. It says it will auto update on 08/14/2015...hmmm...we'll see.

I was going yo update my Icon if my 635 ran smoothly now but... Holding off again. Edge keeps crashing a lot and without the browser being reliable Windows Phone becomes a lot less useful.

Maybe next build!

It's a little frustrating that this build with such a large incremental number 166 to 512 has a BIG flaw. I realize they fixed over 2000 issues, but that loading loop flaw is a BIG one; and in reality was the one made my phone unusable and forced me to revert to 8.1.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
10166 installed automatically at 3:00 this morning. I woke up and saw the gears spinning. I couldn't stop it from happening. Oh well... I'll give it another try. I'm a sucker for punishment I guess.

I THINK I found what was causing the loading loop problem, for me anyway. I use Lockmix as my lock screen app, after I disabled Lockmix and started just using just a picture as my lock screen, the loading loop issue seems to have stopped.

Also, the internet sharing seems to work now too. I'm not sure what happened there. So, the only issue I seem to be having is certain apps won't update. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling them, but I still get an error. I know that, after a while they will clear themselves up...at least they did on 8.1. Anyway, I'll give this build a little time. I really don't relish the thought of having to wipe my phone AGAIN. It's a pain to have to do it.

Oh, and it's rebooted twice now on it's own. I THINK it's app related. Because both times it happened when trying to get the Eye-Fi Mobi app to run.

Last edited:

bulls96

Jun 25, 2007
Visit site
So I gave it a shot. Mobile hotspot turned on but my surface can't connect to the internet using it. Messaging was just as unreliable as before. I was hoping that was fixed and I could stick with the build but no... The messaging app was just as u reliable.
I felt the phone was faster overall too. Better response time. But had big dealbrealrrs for me went back to 10166.

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
So I gave it a shot. Mobile hotspot turned on but my surface can't connect to the internet using it. Messaging was just as unreliable as before. I was hoping that was fixed and I could stick with the build but no... The messaging app was just as u reliable.
I felt the phone was faster overall too. Better response time. But had big dealbrealrrs for me went back to 10166.

Mobile hotspot not working is one of the bugs, was mentioned in the change log that it's due to the said device not able to get an IP address.

Second issue, I'd mess with Access Point settings and see if you can get it working that way. I have to in order to get data working.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I'm still on 10166 and I THINK I've narrowed the loading loop problem down. I started getting it again last night and decided to try something different. I don't think it has anything to do with the amount of tiles on your start screen, or having folders on your start screen.

I think it is because of the background image. While stuck in a loading loop I switched to background image none and then did a soft reset. It immediately went to my start screen. It worked reliably all night and this morning. That is until I tried setting it to a back ground image; then it immediately went into the loading loop. I then reverted to no image did a soft reset and it booted to my start screen with no problems.

How do I report this to Microsoft?

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Use the Windows Feedback App included with your preview build...seems like a cliche answer, but you may find others with the same problem.

Oh, I found several. Dating back for more than 3 months. This issue has been around for a while.

Battery life is also atrocious. I went from a full charge to about 15% in less than 3 hours. All I did was take some photos and shoot a few videos. On 8.1, I would still be at about 70-80% or so. Yikes. I feel like I need to carry a portable charger around in my pocket.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Got it, why does hey Cortana not work?

I'm not sure. I tried to set it up and it says that it is not available for this device. So, I'm wondering if the Icon build is not as complete as builds for other phones. I've upgraded to 10512 and it still seems to be very buggy. I'm contemplating going back to 8.1, I love the look of 10 and I can see and understand the direction MSFT is going with it, but I'm doing upwards of 3 to 4 soft resets a day and the battery life is really bad. There are other issues too, like the photos app doesn't allow you to open a. photo or video in a different app like Lumia Creative Studio or Lumia Video Trimmer, you have open the app THEN find the photo or video you wan to work on. It also doesn't organize photos like it did before which is more cumbersome. It doesn't indicate which photos/videos are local on the phone and which ones are on OneDrive.

The other thing is that I shouldn't HAVE to do a hard reset after each upgrade to make if functional. That defeats the whole purpose of testing new software. The OS developers would actually get better data if people did NOT do clean installs. If we all keep doing clean installs, then how can the OS developers get accurate data on what is going on within the OS, they keep getting data on what it looks like after a fresh install versus an upgrade over top of what was all ready there. That is what the majority of users will do when the OS is finally released to the general public this fall.

Update: I reverted to WP8.1/Denim. There were too many issues for me to justify staying on W10M. If the rumors are true and the RTM is going to be pushed out in Oct/Nov, I'll wait until early to mid Oct before jumping back into the W10M party. I love the look and general functionality of W10M, and I am looking forward to upgrading again in the future, but until Microsoft gets what I consider major bugs worked out, I'm going to stay on 8.1.​

Last edited:

Kasey Pierce

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
The latest build is the worst for me by far.
Battery is far worse than it has ever been. Whenever i turn the phone off then on again, the screen is completely unresponsive. The only way to get the screen back on is to hold the power button down for 15 seconds and then turn it back on. The battery and that are my biggest gripes with this build which makes my phone unusable. It takes anywhere from 4-6 hours for a full charge and drains in as little as an hour, anyone else experience anything like this?!?! .

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
My Icon on Verizon runs well on 10512. I had to hard reset twice after upgrade and DON'T restore from backup.

The problem with that, is that you SHOULDN"T have to do a hard reset to get it to work properly. When the OS is finally released, most users WON"T be doing a hard reset before OR after upgrading. Furthermore, doing hard resets after upgrading doesn't really give the OS devs good data. In doing this, they get telemetry data from a "clean" system instead of a "dirty" system where the user didn't hard reset. It's the latter that shows them what is causing problems. Does it make more work for the OS devs? Yes. It also gives them more realistic/accurate data to work with when working on bug fixes.

antonius138

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
I have been running on an upgrade from 8.1 to 10512 with no restore from backup and no hard reset for a few weeks now. It was a little painful at first as it sort of needed a day or two to sort things out, but it is the only way I can get a lot of apps especially the Lumia apps to work such as Lumia Moments as they will not install after a hard reset. So a few weeks with no hard reset and no restore and everything is mostly working quite well from an upgrade with the noted exception of mobile hotspot.

My .2

A.

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
For me, the worst aspects of Windows 10 on my ICON are battery life and Bluetooth with my UConnect in my car.

Battery is sucked fast by simply using the phone with non-game and non-media apps. If I kill an hour at kids soccer practice, I can go from 100%, to 33% easily just by browsing and using a RSS feed app. Standby is fair to poor.

Using Bluetooth on UConnect is wonky. I can usually stream audio OK with Groove music but it sometimes just stops and often requires a reboot of phone. Once, the Bluetooth crashed my sound system but rebooting the phone helped. The build in text to speech via UConnect dukes it out with Cortana and usually wins...sometimes UConnect will start and then Cortana will jump in.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss