Lumia 1520 Performance Difference in USA (Dallas) between RM-937 and RM-940?

bilbo_baggins

Jun 1, 2015
Visit site
Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but hoping to gain some insights from what appear to be some experienced users.

My Lumia 1520 (16GB RM-940 AT&T version) got stolen yesterday.
Turns out the model is no longer available though the insurance company or AT&T.
grrr

I am a dedicated Windows Phone user and would like to replace it with what some might consider slight upgrades from my 16GB AT&T version.

I'd like to get a 32GB model and I have been able to locate some new (expensive) and used RM-940 versions.
I've also been able to locate some 32GB RM-937 versions both new (expensive) and used.

I'm in the Dallas,Texas,USA area on AT&T and I've been told by them I can use any GSM phone (locked to AT&T or unlocked) and they will give me a sim for free.

I formerly had a Lumia 920 (also stolen) and have two left over wireless chargers (DT-910) which I was dismayed to realize would not work with my AT&T RM-940 Lumia 1520.

I am relieved to read here that the RM-937 (international version) Lumia 1520 will work on my wireless charger bases and am not worried if they take longer to charge because of the larger battery in the 1520.

However, I've read elsewhere two things about which I've not been able to glean any detailed insights and am hoping to get some insights here.

First Concern:
Apparently, some report there are some LTE and 4G band (or frequency) differences in the RM-937 vs. the RM-940.
Without getting to detailed in specifics about which one does what band (or frequency) it comes down to the bottom line, does the RM-937 work the same in the US on AT&T as it does elsewhere (in it's originally intended market area)?
So, are any of you guys using the RM-937 Lumia 1520 in the USA on AT&T?
If so, do you see any difference in performance for:
Voice?
Data on 4G?
Data on LTE?
Data on weaker or slower connections?

Second Concern:
I read on some other forum some mention of a difference in memory between the RM-937 and RM-940.
However, I've not been able to get in detailed information about that the difference might be or even if there is any difference at all.
Does anybody know anything abut a difference in memory on these two variations of the 1520?

Any other performance issues with the RM-937, or perhaps even improvements over the RM-940?

I really do miss my wireless charging and would be excited to get that functionality back, but not at the cost of other performance problems.

Sorry for the long winded explanation but wanted to demonstrate I already have some of the necessary details so as to possibly relieve any potential responders of feeling the need to provide a lot of background.

Thanks in Advance!

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: RM-937 has Wireless Charging?

You want the RM-938 Factory Unlocked for Latin America. 100% GSM compatibility for ATT or T-Mo at all data speeds up to and including LTE.

The RM-937 will only get you H+, the radio is Euro style on the LTE bands and does you no good.

RM-938 has what you want. I've used mine on T-Mo direct and ATT reseller. Perfect. Has 32GB and built in Qi. I also think DT-910 is the best wireless charger for it. Love the stand configuration. The 1520 fits it nicely, charges about 25-28% per hour and works with a case on.

ScrubbyXD

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
Re: RM-937 has Wireless Charging?

The 937s are rare but I have had one cross my path. It did not get lte on tmobile. I cannot speak to at&t. If you decide to go with a 940 send me a pm. I live in garland and have been looking for an excuse to try the qi charging mod on a 940. I even have a big coil from a 937. I'm sure I could build you a 940 with the qi mod for about $250.

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Re: Lumia 1520 Performance Difference in USA (Dallas) between RM-937 and RM-940

I posted a lot of this in an older thread (sorry for the double post) but even though those users seemed experienced in the area of my question, it is after all an older thread and those users may well be long gone. Also, I'm kinda in a rush as I am without a phone until I make a decision (regarding the questions below) and endure shipping time from who knows where depending on that decision (hence nervous about waiting for a reply in an older thread).

Also, another question (possible issue) has occurred to me.

My Lumia 1520 (16GB RM-940 AT&T version) got stolen yesterday.
Turns out the model is no longer available though the insurance company or AT&T.
grrr

I am a dedicated Windows Phone user and would like to replace it with what some might consider slight upgrades from my 16GB AT&T version.

I'd like to get a 32GB model and I have been able to locate some new (expensive) and used RM-940 versions.
I've also been able to locate some 32GB RM-937 versions both new (expensive) and used.
The RM-937 is an International model. Can't speak specifically to performance, but that's NOT the model you want (unless you're going T-Mobile, it'll work better there, better being relative). You want the North American version RM-938, which has all the bands for both AT&T and T-Mobile, as well as Canadian carriers.

I'm in the Dallas, Texas, USA area on AT&T and I've been told by them I can use any GSM phone (locked to AT&T or unlocked) and they will give me a sim for free.

I formerly had a Lumia 920 (also stolen) and have two left over wireless chargers (Nokia DT-910) which I was dismayed to realize would not work with my AT&T RM-940 Lumia 1520.

I am relieved to read in another Windows Central thread that the RM-937 (international version) Lumia 1520 will work on my wireless charger bases (Nokia DT-910) and am not worried if they take longer to charge because of the larger battery in the 1520.

However, I've read in a different thread two things about which I've not been able to glean any detailed insights and am hoping to get some insights here.

First Concern:
Apparently, some specifications detail there are some LTE and 4G band (or frequency) differences in the RM-937 vs. the RM-940.
Without getting to detailed in specifics (other threads seem to have provided these details), about which one does what band (or frequency), it really comes down to the bottom line; does the RM-937 work the same in the US on AT&T as it does elsewhere (in it's originally intended market area)? NO, RM-940 would be much better, RM-938 would be the best for your purposes.
So, are any of you guys using the RM-937 Lumia 1520 in the USA on AT&T? NO, using an RM-940
If so, do you see any difference in performance for:
Voice?
Data on 4G?
Data on LTE?
Data on weaker or slower connections?
Difference between upload or download speeds between the two 1520 variants?
Texting differences?

Second Concern:
I read on some other forum some mention of a difference in memory between the RM-937 and RM-940.
However, I've not been able to get in detailed information about that the difference might be or even if there is any difference at all.
Does anybody know anything about a difference in memory on these two variations of the 1520?

Some people use Memory = onboard storage (not RAM). The RM-937 has more memory, in that respect, 32GB vs RM-940 16GB, though some RM-940s were sold w 32GB.

Third (new) concern
Will I experience any update or Nokia tools/App differences through the AT&T pushed updates?
I don't care too much about most of the Nokia tools except I really do like, and frequently use, the HERE Drive+ and HERE Maps applications. NO, your updates will come from MS & depending on the CV of the RM-937, you may lose access to certain apps. IF you get an RM-940, your updates come from AT&T

Any other performance issues with the RM-937, or perhaps even improvements over the RM-940?

I really do miss my wireless charging and would be excited to get that functionality back, but not at the cost of other performance problems.

Sorry for the long winded explanation but wanted to demonstrate I already have some of the necessary details so as to possibly relieve any potential responders of feeling the need to provide a lot of technical or specification background.

Thanks in Advance!

commented in RED

other posters may come in w additional info, BUT, you don't want an RM-937.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Consolidated posts from the other thread. Deleted useless duplicate post.

Welcome to the board bilbo_baggins... But please, do not bump old threads which do not match your topic and please do not create multiple posts for the same question.

IMHO, again, RM-937 is the wrong move.

However, with any non ATT device you risk them not supporting ATT Apps on the device, not supporting VoLTE on the device and from my personal experience RM-938 does not let you configure for and receive Cell Broadcast (Amber and Emergency Alerts as SMS). However, I think RM-938 does give you everything you specifically asked for.

bilbo_baggins

Jun 1, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for all the insights!!!

ScrubbyXD,
Does that price include the phone?
When I was in business for myself, and I had need of customer's who were actually guinea pigs, I made a point of not charging them.
Kept my karma clean in the sense that going forward I knew, and they knew, I stood to make additional income I would not otherwise make absent their consent to be my guinea pig.
I may end up doing a RM-940 32GB as the few RM-938s I'm finding are rather pricy and the sellers are not too flexible.

RumoredNow,
Re:Initial Response - Thanks for all the insights. I have modified my search to be for the RM-938!
I had the 16GB and added a super high speed 32GB MicroSD . I didn't do any benchmarking, but I'm pretty sure there was a slight drop in write performance when I set the phone to start using the MicroSD for pics and vids.
I'm thinking with 32GB I can maybe avoid the MicroSD.
I spend a lot of time feeling like I'd like to fire AT&T (not on contract). The last time I threatened to fire them, I was particularly adamant and they gave me a pretty hefty discount going forward on my 4GB data plan, but still, it is not unlimited.
Obviously, since I'm not on contract, I'm a free agent, and with the RM-938 being factory unlocked I should be good on any GSM carrier.
So I'm wondering what you mean by "T-Mo direct and ATT reseller"?

MKD22
Thanks and as mentioned, I will be modifying my quest to be for a RM-938.
"Memory = Storage" - This was pretty much my thinking too.
I hadn't noticed any specific delineation in the specifications for different RAM specifications by variant, but thought I'd double check.

Re: Updates and Apps, does your answer change at all if RM-937 is replaced with RM-938?

RumoredNow (second):
Sorry. Was not my intent to SPAM the site and hope it wasn't too much work for you to clean it up.
I didn't intent to create a "Q/A" topic with the second tread but I must have clicked something wrong.
Sorry, I'm a newbie here and these forums are a tad different form others on which I have participated.

Re: AT&T apps - ugh, I use zero of them and every time they get pushed, I uninstall them however, what do you mean by "VoLTE"?
Re: Amber and Emergency SMS broadcasts - Does anybody know why these don't work on the RM-938?
Is that observation specific to AT&T or also for T-Mobil?

THANKS AGAIN! CLEARLY I CAME TO THE CORRECT PLACE!!!
I look forward to your new insights!

ScrubbyXD

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
That would be with a 16GB Motherboard RM-940, phone.

The mod to add Qi actually is a modification to the cover and does not actually modify the phone itself. Basically the coil from a RM-937 is soldered onto the circuit board for Qi charging from a 920 then these are placed into the AT&T back (usually). Although I would stray from this slightly by buying a RM-937 back so you wouldn't have the holes.
Cost for me would be:
100 Donor phone
150-170 Actual AT&T OEM screen (not a knockoff)
20-25 International back
10-15 QI circuit for 920
random materials

So no, I would not be making a profit off that.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm was on T-Mobile with the Simple Choice plan.

Now I'm on Straight Talk with an ATT compatible SIM so it uses ATT Towers but I pay Straight Talk. $45 a month: unlimited talk / text / 411 information / data... It gets up to LTE but is limited at 8mbps (still plenty fast)... They have a new policy that if you bring your own phone, you get 5GB of high speed a month (up from 3GB) and after that you aren't cut off from data, just slowed to EDGE (2.5G speed).

One sacrifice from not being on a main-line carrier is the services. Like Visual Voice Mail. I fixed that by using YouMail (sign up on web) and the sanctioned YouMail 3rd party App ISeeVM so I have VVM even though Straight Talk does not offer it. I like YouMail so much I will probably keep it for ever. It follows your number when you port or SIM when you switch phone or you could even update a new number if needed. All free and very feature rich.

Personally. I keep Apps and Maps on the phone. Disposable media on a Class 10 card. 4K video may say your card isn't fast enough, but it is, just try again. I keep all pics and vidz I take on the card too. I'm really just shooting 720p now as 4K is wasted on me. I have no 4K screen and the 720p @ 30fps is fine by my eye for what I do (not too much vid). I'm at 32GB internal and 32GB SD, but just yoinked my 64GB SD for my new Nokia 2520 RT tablet. I still have plenty of elbow room for storage.

VoLTE is just coming out on the major carriers (finally). Each has their own branding like HD voice or what have you. VoLTE is Voice Over LTE. You can Bing that and see if it is something you need.

If you get an RM-938 it is Factory Unlocked so you can use any SIM from ATT / T-Mo / or any of their mvno resellers like Straight Talk or Cricket. The RM-938 is 100% compatible with any GSM in the US.

No worries on the cleanup. I just like to explain what I did and why so users (especially newer ones) don't wonder what just happened... :)

On the Alert SMS... The RM-938 I have is generic for Latin America - the whole region - and not a Country Variant. My instinct is, if it is not tied to a country where Cell Broadcast is mandated by law, they shut it out in the firmware. A lot of users find it annoying and shut it off. I actually like it and wish my 1520.3 had access to it. Oh well.

Good Luck, Welcome again and happy to help.

bilbo_baggins

Jun 1, 2015
Visit site
RumoredNow

You mentioned in an earlier post that you're able to use your DT-910 chargers with your RM-938 wearing a case.

I have a JCase Diablo and my new RM-938 keeps sliding out of the DT-910.

I really prefer the look and feel of the naked 1520 but wearing a case is pretty much a necessity.

Which case are you using with your 1520 in the DT-910 chargers?
Has your phone ever been dropped wearing this case?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Hmmm.. I'm surprised your phone slides off. Are the ramped rubber feet damaged or missing?

WP_20150615_09_44_25_Rich.jpg

These feet have no issue holding my 1520 on the stand. I would think the rubber bottom portion of the JCase Diablo would provide more grip than the crystal clear acrylic snap on case I'm using. Amazon.com: CoverON? Hard Plastic Slim Case for Nokia Lumia 1520 - with Cover Removal Pry Tool - Clear: Cell Phones & Accessories This is the only case I've used on the 1520 since owning the DT-910 charging stand. The DT-910 also holds my 830 with a similar case and held a naked 928 I used to have.

Is your vibration on? Does the beast simply vibrate off the stand? Have you tried it in Landscape?

I've not dropped my 1520 in a long while and that was when I had a clear TPU rubber slip on case installed.

bilbo_baggins

Jun 1, 2015
Visit site
The rubber horns on both of my DT-910s are all intact and no, it is not vibrating out of the stand and yes, the result in the same in vertically or horizontally situated positions.

What may no be obvious about the JCase Diablo (visa vi the DT-910 case) is that the back of the Diablo is extra thick to make room for the folded (retracted) kick-stand. Therefore, when sitting on the DT-910, the phone just naturally sticks out further, beyond the horns intended to retain it.
Therefore, a more important attribute/benefit of the Qi charging and the DT-910 base is that a protective case need not have the extra thickness (and weight) necessary for a built in kick-stand.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786