Lumia 640 Wifi Calling with EE - Question

shamrock1988

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys

I broke my lumia 830, lcd screen completely smashed and the cheapest quote i've got for someone to fix the screen is ?110. It's crazy money,

So what I'm thinking of doing is just buying a lumia 640 from EE. The main reason for choosing this phone is that they have launched it with Wifi calling

What I'd like to know from you guys is if the Wifi calling is any good?

Also how much of a step back is a 640 from a 830?

Thanks

chancooluk

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Make sure you get it direct from EE (EE-GB Variant), as the unlocked CV-GB variant does not include a wifi calling option. You also must use a 4G EE SIM as Orange or T-Mobile 3G SIMs do not work with wifi calling (the option does not appear).

The quality seemed fine to me, the dial tone was the same as an international tone though, which was odd. It definitely worked when I had no mobile signal.

The 640 isn't much of a step back, apart from the camera, which isn't great in low light. Check out a shootout I posted here (also against the 535 and 735).

The glance screen isn't quite as detailed as it is on the 830, it can't show calendar text, or integrate with apps (such as MSN Weather).

The battery life is significantly better though, the 640 lasted approx 12 hours longer than my 830 in my tests.

Currys PC World are currently selling open-box Lumia 830's on ebay for ?150. These are Carphone Warehouse stock which was returned within the 14-day period, and are almost always in brand-new condition. The manufacturer warranty is valid with them too.

shamrock1988

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
Thanks, your post is a great help.

I was going to buy a EE locked one from CeX. Do you think i could run the risk of getting one that isn't directly from EE, maybe from carphone warehouse or something?

chancooluk

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, your post is a great help.

I was going to buy a EE locked one from CeX. Do you think i could run the risk of getting one that isn't directly from EE, maybe from carphone warehouse or something?

I would never buy another phone from CEX after my bad experience with them. I have only bought two phones from them, a HTC Desire S, and an EE locked Lumia 830. The Desire S was faulty (earpiece didn't work), CEX refused to help me and promptly ignored my emails, I took it back to a store and they told me they couldn't accept returns.

I bought the Lumia 830 in December. It was grade A and looked new. I used it until February without any issue until it suddenly lost mobile signal, but strangely mobile internet still worked. I called EE who informed me that the phone was blacklisted as it had been reported as stolen. I paid for a checkmend report to confirm this. Cex refused to help me again, and told me that its one of the risks of buying phones from them.

shamrock1988

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
I would never buy another phone from CEX after my bad experience with them. I have only bought two phones from them, a HTC Desire S, and an EE locked Lumia 830. The Desire S was faulty (earpiece didn't work), CEX refused to help me and promptly ignored my emails, I took it back to a store and they told me they couldn't accept returns.

I bought the Lumia 830 in December. It was grade A and looked new. I used it until February without any issue until it suddenly lost mobile signal, but strangely mobile internet still worked. I called EE who informed me that the phone was blacklisted as it had been reported as stolen. I paid for a checkmend report to confirm this. Cex refused to help me again, and told me that its one of the risks of buying phones from them.

I haven't had any trouble with CeX myself, just lucky maybe.

I assume with the recent update yesterday this now will allow me to buy an unlocked 640 and it will work with Wifi Calling?

shamrock1988

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
I'd just like to say that this WiFi calling feature works really well. Some calls don't come through but making a phone call is now perfect without having out a window.

One weird issue is when WiFi calling is turned on twitter and only Twitter is extremely slow, pictures take ages to load.

I found this was the case for all apps and websites when it first launched but the update 2 seemed to resolve that issue, expect for twitter. Strange but not a big deal.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99