Lumia 930 Night Shots Black Bars

userw10

Apr 12, 2015
Visit site
Hello!
I'm seeing these "black bars" on these night shots taken with my L930, is this something normal or is there is problem with the camera?
They are a bit subtle but are visible from the top of the photo on the sides and on the middle.
WP_20150601_22_08_24_Pro.jpg
Appreciate any advice, thanks.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
There is no problem with your camera in the sense that it is broken.
But your phone will use algorithms to "translate" camera pixel date to a jpg picture and use noise reduction and "overall" photo improvements.
The black bars are the result of "not perfect" calculations because your picture is "bright" in the bottom but dark in the top and your phone is trying to make the best out of it.

I am not sure which camera app you use but another camera app could give a different result.
But if you use Lumia Camera 5 you can save 5, 5+16 jpeg or 5+DNG.
If you would compare a 5mp a 16mp and a DNG picture you also will see differences.
A 5 mp picture is the result of the "most" calculations and for the 16 mp there are less calculations and for the DNG there are no calculations.

Furthermore not using auto but using manual camera settings and using a different focus point will give different results.

userw10

Apr 12, 2015
Visit site
There is no problem with your camera in the sense that it is broken.
But your phone will use algorithms to "translate" camera pixel date to a jpg picture and use noise reduction and "overall" photo improvements.
The black bars are the result of "not perfect" calculations because your picture is "bright" in the bottom but dark in the top and your phone is trying to make the best out of it.

I am not sure which camera app you use but another camera app could give a different result.
But if you use Lumia Camera 5 you can save 5, 5+16 jpeg or 5+DNG.
If you would compare a 5mp a 16mp and a DNG picture you also will see differences.
A 5 mp picture is the result of the "most" calculations and for the 16 mp there are less calculations and for the DNG there are no calculations.

Furthermore not using auto but using manual camera settings and using a different focus point will give different results.

Thank you very much for your answer!

That photo in particular was taken with manual settings using Lumia camera classic, I also use Proshot and Lumia camera 5.
Afterword's I toke some 5MP + DNGs so I could compare them, the bars seem less visible on the DNG but by exaggerating exposure in post processing they became very apparent like here.
Web_Export_WP_20150601_22_49_17_Raw__highres.jpg
You're right, the algorithms do make it worse when translating the picture to a jpg file.

Am I expecting too much from a camera phone?

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
I am not an expert but I think if you would have taken this picture with an "old" film roll camera the picture would be far worse. So I think we take to much for granted and we expect indeed to much from a camera phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos