Anyone Using the 830 on T-mobile?

jennadam15

May 13, 2015
Visit site
Title is self-explanatory. Saw that the Microsoft store is selling the 830, no contract, for AT&T and was thinking about picking it up to use on T-mobile.

tuxedo323

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
I am using one right now. You should get the RM 935 which is the factory unlocked version. Microsoft sells that one at their stores and it gets full LTE bands for T-Mobile.

YanivC

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
jennadam15 I bought one on eBay for $200 unlocked and I'm using it on T-Mobile just fine. Love the phone and I can't wait for Windows 10!
Also, you can definitely get the AT&T version and request an unlock code from AT&T. How much were they selling the AT&T version for?

jennadam15

May 13, 2015
Visit site
Interesting note on that....they are sel the AT&T version, no contract for $399 WITH a free fit Bit Flex included.

(SORRY HAD TO REMOVE LINKS BECAUSE NOT ENOUGH POSTS YET. Goto Microsoftstore website to see)

The Unlocked version is $449 with NO free extras

But yes, I was going to get the No Contract one and get the free fit bit and then just Call AT&T and unlock it. But I guess my question is, would they only be required to unlock it for customers?

Also the 830 is confirmed for Windows 10 upgrade?

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
From ATT's Unlock Portal. They will unlock for non-customers. I don't know if a brand new phone, never used on their system, qualifies or not from the below requirements.

General Requirements for All Unlock Requests
• The device must be designed for use on, and locked to, the AT&T wireless network. (For help see Device Unlock Support )
•It must not be reported lost or stolen.
•It’s not associated with fraudulent activity.
•All the device’s service commitments and installment plans are completed, and all early termination fees are paid in full.
•The device is not currently active on a different AT&T customer’s account.
•If you performed an early upgrade, you must wait the 14-day buyer’s remorse period before you can request to unlock your previous device.

Postpaid Customers
•Your account must be active for at least 60 days, with no past due or unpaid balance.

Note: An eligibility notification to unlock your device will be sent to your myAT&T account.

Prepaid / GoPhone?
•The device must be active for at least six months of paid service.

Non-AT&T Mobility Customers
•You’ve never had an AT&T wireless account and you meet the General Requirements for unlock requests.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
If you buy from Ebay, make sure it's an RM-985 variant. Most of the $200ish range ones are RM-984. You won't get LTE.

That said, I'm using a Microsoft Store-bought RM-985 variant (unlocked) on T-Mobile with 0 problems. LTE, SMS, MMS, Visual Voicemail, etc. all work flawlessly. I think it's nicer than the AT&T version since it has the silver chassis vs the black one, plus I didn't want to deal with unlocking the AT&T model (it's been quite a hassle in the past). Also, the AT&T version doesn't say "Nokia" on the front for some reason.

The first few I got had some issues and the Microsoft Store swapped them out without question. It was very convenient buying from them.

holymell

May 11, 2015
Visit site
I'm using an unlocked rm-984 that I found on Amazon for less than$250. It works really well for me. I was very worried that the lack of LTE would slow it down, but so far I have noticed absolutely no difference not having LTE.

But I guess that wasn't really what your question was about. I'm having no issues on t-mobile at all. I actually had to switch carriers to use the phone and I've not been disappointed by the switch or the 830, even though it's supposed to be lower quality than the rm-985. I would recommend the rm-985, though, because while my experience with the rm-984 on t-mobile has been great, it may not be a universal experience. Also, because mine is the international unlocked version, there is absolutely no warranty attached to it, so that kind of blows.

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
Think that is a YES then based on the "Non-AT&T Mobility Customers" line. Thanks.

ATT won't unlock a phone from a Non ATT customer unless you become an ATT customer...why would they unlock a new locked to ATT phone and you just go to the competition. You better read the FULL disclosure on ATT not just parts of it that make it sound as though they will do it for you.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
ATT won't unlock a phone from a Non ATT customer unless you become an ATT customer...why would they unlock a new locked to ATT phone and you just go to the competition. You better read the FULL disclosure on ATT not just parts of it that make it sound as though they will do it for you.

Well they do unlock off contract or non activated AT&T phones (been there done that) but once it's activated even for a second on their network then AT&T won't budge

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
Well they do unlock off contract or non activated AT&T phones (been there done that) but once it's activated even for a second on their network then AT&T won't budge
Sure off contract but not just someone who bought a new locked ATT phone and wants it unlocked and has had no relationship (off contract is ) with ATT or plans to.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Sure off contract but not just someone who bought a new locked ATT phone and wants it unlocked and has had no relationship (off contract is ) with ATT or plans to.
By locked you mean only contract phones right? Because unactivated prepaid phones can be unlocked

TimmyzBeach

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Just this past weekend I went to the local Microsoft Store and bought the unlocked RM-985 model. My T-Mobile micro SIM worked as expected and I get LTE all over the metro area. I had to enable Visual Voicemail, as it was not enabled by default and I had to enter the APN information for MMS to work properly. After that, and a reboot, it works great.

I hope that helps.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Just this past weekend I went to the local Microsoft Store and bought the unlocked RM-985 model. My T-Mobile micro SIM worked as expected and I get LTE all over the metro area. I had to enable Visual Voicemail, as it was not enabled by default and I had to enter the APN information for MMS to work properly. After that, and a reboot, it works great.

I hope that helps.

That's odd. T-Mobile worked for me right out of the box... Visual Voicemail, MMS, and all. All I did was insert my SIM. Mine is the RM-985 from the Microsoft Store as well.

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
That's odd. T-Mobile worked for me right out of the box... Visual Voicemail, MMS, and all. All I did was insert my SIM. Mine is the RM-985 from the Microsoft Store as well.

I hope that helps.

If you were a TM customer and had VVM it goes with your number and if your phone supports it, it works right sway.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss