[Guide] De-branding AT&T Nokia Lumia 635/**820**

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Re: [Guide] De-branding AT&T Nokia Lumia 635/**820**

I'd really love to try this with my AT&T 635. How much time would you estimate this will take from start to finish? Would I be able to pull this off within 4 hours time or less, total, with all the resets?

Also, if I want to "rebrand" AND update to WP 8.1 Update 2, do I have to completely repeat all the steps again, starting with the reset after de-branding? Or while I'm at that point, can I edit the registry in Part 2 of the Update 2 instructions and then reset?

If I do the re-brand AND the update to GDR2, then how much time should I set aside for me to get it all finished? 2 hours? 4 hours? more?

Yes do try if you can. Its only in around an hour (for me that is) as you have to install all apps and such between resets. But yes its great. My Nokia Lumia 520 is dare I say it much better then even day one if purchase (two years ago). GDR2 rocks by the way its much much better!!

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site

Please make a video as you go along....for the noobs
That sounds like something I would absolutely love to do! But... the only method I currently have of making a video is to use my L635 for recording it. Seeing as how it will be reset a couple of times during the process, and that the camera on the L635 can't see itself, I'm afraid I won't be able to do this. I won't have access to any other camera or smartphone during the process either, unfortunately. My wife used to have a nice camera with good quality HD recording, but, alas, she dropped it and it wasn't repairable. She decided not to buy another, because she uses her phone now, which is sub-par quality.

I went from Vodafone Ireland to Three ireland and now I'm totally debranded lol. Its great now I can get direct updates and such instead of waiting on any one mobile carrier to release them. Its,great the only downside is you have to wait two days initially to get the phone IMEI unlocked but after that its plain sailing. I have gotten update 2 also by debranding.
Will there be a problem waiting to IMEI unlock AFTER the de-branding? I don't plan on changing carriers at all, just want to control my own updates. My understanding is that it should not be an issue if I never IMEI unlock, but would there be an issue if I decided to try to unlock it later? While I've flashed phones, I've never carrier unlocked one before, believe it or not, because I've never changed carriers. Doesn't mean I won't, but I just haven't so far.

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site

That sounds like something I would absolutely love to do! But... the only method I currently have of making a video is to use my L635 for recording it. Seeing as how it will be reset a couple of times during the process, and that the camera on the L635 can't see itself, I'm afraid I won't be able to do this. I won't have access to any other camera or smartphone during the process either, unfortunately. My wife used to have a nice camera with good quality HD recording, but, alas, she dropped it and it wasn't repairable. She decided not to buy another, because she uses her phone now, which is sub-par quality.

Will there be a problem waiting to IMEI unlock AFTER the de-branding? I don't plan on changing carriers at all, just want to control my own updates. My understanding is that it should not be an issue if I never IMEI unlock, but would there be an issue if I decided to try to unlock it later? While I've flashed phones, I've never carrier unlocked one before, believe it or not, because I've never changed carriers. Doesn't mean I won't, but I just haven't so far.

Carrier unlock is good if you decide to change down the track. All you have to do is contact your carrier and they will send you via Nokia care a long unlock code within two days (for me) and the email will have step by step instructions on how to do it. Its how you will be able to get updates directly instead of waiting in your carrier to send them out.

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Ah, so I need the carrier unlock to get updates directly? I was hoping the de-branding would do that. Okay, so I need to unlock, debrand, and update to Update 2. Better request an unlock code now. The only window of opportunity I will have to do the debrand and update 2 will be tomorrow during a 6 hour window, then not again for 3 or 4 weeks. Hopefully I can unlock after without issue.

I want to make sure I'm ready for that Windows 10 upgrade later without having to wait for AT&T to release it. ;)

EDIT: Unlock has been requested from Carrier. Must wait 2 business days. Grr.

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Ah, so I need the carrier unlock to get updates directly? I was hoping the de-branding would do that. Okay, so I need to unlock, debrand, and update to Update 2. Better request an unlock code now. The only window of opportunity I will have to do the debrand and update 2 will be tomorrow during a 6 hour window, then not again for 3 or 4 weeks. Hopefully I can unlock after without issue.

I want to make sure I'm ready for that Windows 10 upgrade later without having to wait for AT&T to release it. ;)

EDIT: Unlock has been requested from Carrier. Must wait 2 business days. Grr.

You see debranding is like redecorating an already existing room, IMEI unlocking is like knocking the room piling it on a truck and rebuilding and decorating it on the moon.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site

Will there be a problem waiting to IMEI unlock AFTER the de-branding?

Flashing phones and debranding are eventually the same thing. If AT&T would not have that strict platform ID check baked onto its ROMs this guide would not have existed. You should be fine requesting the unlock code later.

Ah, so I need the carrier unlock to get updates directly?

After the debranding process you should get updates directly from MS and not wait for AT&T. The phone being IMEI unlocked/locked is not going to change anything, the ROM controls this.

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site

Thank you so much for the clarifications. Will do backups today, rebranding and update to Update 2 tomorrow, unlock next week. :)

I think to make things go faster, I'll set up 2 backups, first, one as is. Then, rename the phone, remove all apps, and backup under that. Then I can use a backup of "no apps" for the resets, then do a final reset back to the original phone backup name. That should work and help speed things along a bit.

I'll lose progress in one game. One lousy game. Oh, well. I suppose I can start over on that one. I'll never again be tied to a carrier waiting for updates. Hooray! I'll post back with results after the attempt.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
You don't have to do 2 backups, just don't restore during the process and restore only once you're done with everything

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
You don't have to do 2 backups, just don't restore during the process and restore only once you're done with everything
DOH! That's what I get for trying to think this through before my morning cup of coffee. I'll go get my coffee now.

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
I'm not believing this. I got the unlock code from AT&T just 5 hours, 15 minutes after the request. New world record, I think.

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, hoping all goes well. Finished de-branding and finally have Denim. So happy about the equalizer on my 635!
Currently checking for updates trying to get Update 2. Fingers crossed all goes well from here...

EDIT: Update 2 success!

Last edited:

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, hoping all goes well. Finished de-branding and finally have Denim. So happy about the equalizer on my 635!
Currently checking for updates trying to get Update 2. Fingers crossed all goes well from here...

EDIT: Update 2 success!

Well done so happy for you 😊

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo